Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

For the Connected Car "CarPlay-Like" Experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 11:17 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 481 Likes on 403 Posts
TPMS receiver radio is behind there (attached to the back of the glove box) so you might have not gotten it plugged back in all the way.
Old 10-10-2020, 04:38 PM
pburger
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Wireless CarPlay issue:

I started using wireless CarPlay and it seemed to work great at first. Now, I'm almost to the point of wanting to pull the VLine2 out and run over it repeatedly! Here is the issue: I do not have a mobile hotspot or other internet connection for the VLine2. When I use wireless CarPlay, I expect the internet to come from the cellular data on the phone. This is exactly how it has worked in numerous rent cars, without any problems. What happens with Grom is that the phone pairs and goes into CarPlay. I then try to select a destination in Waze, or listen to a podcast, or whatever. It says something like "no internet" or "no network connection try again later". What appears to be happening is that the phone has connected to the Grom via WIFI, and it is trying to use that WIFI connection for the internet -- but there is no intenet on the VLine2. The internet should be via the phone's cellular data. This is infuriating. I can turn WIFI off, which kills caplay, then go to Waze on my phone, select my destination and let it calculate the route, then turn on WIFI, and CarPlay will eventually reconnect. It usually will then say something like 'The Wi-Fi network "VLine_WCP_xxxx" does not appear to be connected to the Internet. Do you want to temporarily use cellular data?' If I choose "Use Cellular Data" then everything is fine, until I stop the car and get out, because the next time it syncs up with wireless CarPlay the same issue comes up again. It's actually unsafe because I'm futzing with this as I'm driving down the road.

I think there might be a way from Grom to flag the WCP connection as one that doesn't have the internet, so that the phone doesn't even try to get the internet from that connection. I haven't bothered to open a ticket with Grom yet. I'm kinda hoping they'll read this.

Old 10-14-2020, 11:14 PM
Vq_Jordy
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So I just installed my vline2 and the vline2 turns on(you could see the green light on) but when I press the dvd/aux it never shows the vline screen. I sent a grom audio a ticket to see if it’s an issue with wiring or the vline box itself. I’ll update you guys with what they say
Old 10-15-2020, 05:32 PM
Vq_Jordy
Registered Member

UPDATE: I was speaking with Josh from Grom Audio, btw he’s so nice and really helpful, he’s really patient when I’m was being annoying repeatedly calling them lol but he said it has something to do with the usb not being recognized at all. I sent him a more detailed video describing the situation and still waiting for a response, I’m starting to lose hope lol. I was really excited for Apple CarPlay too lol
Old 10-18-2020, 10:17 PM
Vq_Jordy
Registered Member

UPDATE: I called grom audio and l I told them about the situation I had a day prior to that They told me to take pictures and videos and they will get back to me it turns out after a few minutes with one of the tech support agents they told me to open the V line box and it ended up being that one of the cables that connects to the USB in the back of the stereo was unplugged so I connected it back in and it worked perfectly!I’ve been using the product for a couple of days now and I could tell you that it updates the car so much and I love my car 10 times more
Old 07-04-2021, 08:45 PM
AdamBritt
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
I wanted to write an update since I've been really happy with Vline after the latest update. I had a smudge on my screen behind the bezel that was making it act up, and one of the issues with that is that when I tried to update the Vline software the smudge would cancel it. So I lived with that for like 6 months before finally finding it and fixing it. After that I did the update and have been able to use wireless Android Auto and it's very nice. Took a little finessing to get the phone synced up and started the first time but now after that whenever I get in the car AA connects automatically and picks up right where it left off.
Old 08-29-2021, 06:26 PM
theworldwander
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firmware

I am having trouble updating to the latest firmware. Is there anyway to manually update?
Old 08-29-2021, 08:20 PM
AdamBritt
Registered Member

You could try to download from their website: https://gromaudio.com/software-vl1.html

I think this only updates one of the two things that update when you select to update on the unit itself, but it might help get past the part you are stuck to get the other thing to download.
The following users liked this post:
theworldwander (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 07:53 AM
theworldwander
Registered Member

I am also having issues with my hvac unit. My air conditioning does work. It switches screens but it doesn't change. I am thinking it might be part of my firmware issues.

Also how do you guys route your mic and GPS?

Vcore v20vl3.46.0.0 Vbase 88.43(L22)
Old 08-30-2021, 09:08 PM
AdamBritt
Registered Member

I routed the cables out of the side of the glovebox area then up the A pillar tucking it into the trim.
The following users liked this post:
theworldwander (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 08:28 AM
theworldwander
Registered Member

One more question, when I make phone calls it plays through my phone and not android auto. How do I change that?
Old 09-11-2021, 01:39 PM
CarbonDave
Registered Member

I have used the VL2 for several years. I upgraded from the VL1 as it was not working properly. Unfortunately my car was recently totaled and am selling the unit. PM for detail as I can't seem to post in the classifieds.

Last edited by CarbonDave; 09-17-2021 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-16-2021, 06:18 PM
idkwhatimdoing
Registered Member

Originally Posted by CarbonDave
I have used the VL2 for several years. I upgraded from the VL1 as it was not working properly. Unfortunatly my car was recently total and am selling the unit. PM for detail as I can't seem to post in the classifieds.
would be interested. cant seem to pm you
Old 09-17-2021, 02:43 PM
CarbonDave
Registered Member

Originally Posted by idkwhatimdoing
would be interested. cant seem to pm you
II sent you a PM. You can email me carbondave67 AT gmail