Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

For the Connected Car "CarPlay-Like" Experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 02:25 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by JSylvia007
Interesting. I didn't know that they offered such a cheap plan. I will have to look into it.

Does it work in a "set it and forget it" mode? I assume it plugs into the actual device and IS NOT a wifi hotspot, but appears as an actual modem to the device?
Yes it works in "set it and forget it" mode. It appears as an actual modem for the device. Please check the article here:
https://gromaudio.com/blog/2018/09/h...ternet-to-car/

Thank you.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:26 PM
JSylvia007

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gromaudio
Yes it works in "set it and forget it" mode. It appears as an actual modem for the device. Please check the article here:

Thank you.
Thanks very much!
Old 09-05-2019, 07:37 PM
JSylvia007

Thank you.
What @gromaudio has stated here is factually incorrect, as noted by this line in the link: "Note: you only can create a mobile hotspot with a USB or other portable modem to provide internet connectivity to your laptop, tablet, or VLine." This is unfortunate, and I wish that I had read a little closer before spending $100 on their word.

For anyone else, THIS DOES NOT WORK. It is just another WiFi hotspot, it DOES NOT appear as a modem to the VLine. It does work perfectly fine as a hotspot, but I was trying to get away from that.

My guess is that we could get it to work as a plain modem (it works this way on my laptop in Linux, Windows, and on a Raspberry Pi running Android), but GROM would need to give us a way to enable root mode.

@gromaudio - Is there a plan to give us the ability to get root on the device?
Old 09-05-2019, 08:46 PM
AdamBritt
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
That's unfortunate. I could have sworn at some point in this thread they mentioned letting us have root access to the devices. There are a few times I regret not getting the VL2 whenever it was discounted but there's so much still they need to work on to make this a perfect product.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:55 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

What @gromaudio has stated here is factually incorrect, as noted by this line in the link: "Note: you only can create a mobile hotspot with a USB or other portable modem to provide internet connectivity to your laptop, tablet, or VLine." This is unfortunate, and I wish that I had read a little closer before spending $100 on their word.

For anyone else, THIS DOES NOT WORK. It is just another WiFi hotspot, it DOES NOT appear as a modem to the VLine. It does work perfectly fine as a hotspot, but I was trying to get away from that.

My guess is that we could get it to work as a plain modem (it works this way on my laptop in Linux, Windows, and on a Raspberry Pi running Android), but GROM would need to give us a way to enable root mode.

@gromaudio - Is there a plan to give us the ability to get root on the device?
What modem did you connect ? We do not provide root since it will risk losing the device due to mistakes and no OTA support from that point.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:04 PM
JSylvia007

What modem did you connect ? We do not provide root since it will risk losing the device due to mistakes and no OTA support from that point.
I connected the modem you recommended me a few posts up... the G-Connect (WEBLINK). When connecting into either the upper or lower USB port on the VLineVL2, it never appears as a MODEM. It instead broadcasts a WiFi access point, which you then need to use the WiFi in the VLine to connect to.

You certainly could supply root via an enable option and still allow OTA updates. Users would need to fully understand that there could be ways that they could kill their device, but that would be up to the individual user, and should be accompanied by a warning explaining that root is ONLY for advanced users and support would be limited to re-flashing factory firmware and starting over.
The following users liked this post:
AdamBritt (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 11:57 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

I connected the modem you recommended me a few posts up... the G-Connect (WEBLINK). When connecting into either the upper or lower USB port on the VLineVL2, it never appears as a MODEM. It instead broadcasts a WiFi access point, which you then need to use the WiFi in the VLine to connect to.

You certainly could supply root via an enable option and still allow OTA updates. Users would need to fully understand that there could be ways that they could kill their device, but that would be up to the individual user, and should be accompanied by a warning explaining that root is ONLY for advanced users and support would be limited to re-flashing factory firmware and starting over.
There is no way to supply root and still maintain OTA unfortunately, at least we cannot find a reasonable way to do it safely.
We will look into why our modem does not detect properly.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:04 PM
MUnitoon
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I couldn't find another post sharing this idea anywhere, hope some of you find it useful. I didn't like the idea of giving up my glove box space for the vline2 unit, so I found that it fits very nicely behind the ECU bracket (I used velcro to attach it). Even had enough room left for a Raspberry Pi in there too.

The downside is that accessing the auxiliary ports becomes challenging. I opted to run usb extension cables to the glove box, but I still have to take apart the dash if I need to change any other connections. Another option is the remove the bottom portion of the glove box dash piece - it isn't visible unless you stick you head into the footwell - this will give you access to the auxiliary ports if you orient them down.

Old 09-15-2019, 12:19 PM
JSylvia007

Originally Posted by MUnitoon
I couldn't find another post sharing this idea anywhere, hope some of you find it useful. I didn't like the idea of giving up my glove box space for the vline2 unit, so I found that it fits very nicely behind the ECU bracket (I used velcro to attach it). Even had enough room left for a Raspberry Pi in there too.

The downside is that accessing the auxiliary ports becomes challenging. I opted to run usb extension cables to the glove box, but I still have to take apart the dash if I need to change any other connections. Another option is the remove the bottom portion of the glove box dash piece - it isn't visible unless you stick you head into the footwell - this will give you access to the auxiliary ports if you orient them down.

Wow. That looks great!! I may try to tackle this myself... Now for the other question?! Where did you get that carbon fiber replacement for the brushed aluminum??????
MUnitoon (09-15-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 12:29 PM
MUnitoon
Registered Member

Wow. That looks great!! I may try to tackle this myself... Now for the other question?! Where did you get that carbon fiber replacement for the brushed aluminum??????
Thanks! The carbon fiber is 3M vinyl wrap. Check out post #53 in this thread:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-in...m-project.html

It was time consuming and I ended up having to buy another roll because I had to re-wrap a few pieces. I did it piece by piece over a few days, couple hours a night.
JSylvia007 (09-15-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 12:31 PM
JSylvia007

Thanks! The carbon fiber is 3M vinyl wrap. Check out post #53 in this thread:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-in...m-project.html

It was time consuming and I ended up having to buy another roll because I had to re-wrap a few pieces. I did it piece by piece over a few days, couple hours a night.
Thanks! Might tackle that too.
MUnitoon (09-15-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 06:53 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

That looks great! Thank you for sharing.
We have a video for similar approach, see here:

In that video we also go over the important points not to bend the video cables.
MUnitoon (09-15-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 08:42 PM
MUnitoon
Registered Member

That looks great! Thank you for sharing.
We have a video for similar approach, see here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg-IEwy69dM&t=15s

In that video we also go over the important points not to bend the video cables.
Not sure how I managed not to find that video, but fortunately I paid attention to the warning included in the box about keeping sharp bends out of the video cable.

Really happy with it, by the way - makes the car feel much newer!
Old 09-24-2019, 04:01 PM
pburger
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I have been using VLINE2 for quite some time now tethering to my phone with Bluetooth. I use Tasker to autoconnect to my phone via Bluetooth and get the internet that way. I use Waze and Audible mainly, so the slower speeds over Bluetooth are okay with me. The connection is automatic, and reliable, which is what I wanted.

But, I just upgraded to iOS 13, and now my Bluetooth tether won't connect to the internet. (I should've left well enough alone) I get the blue bar across the top of the phone showing that the personal hotspot is connected, and the profile in the VLINE2 shows that it is set for Internet access, but the apps say they are offline. I'm not asking for help with this. I may continue to troubleshoot this in the future, but in the meantime I decided to just use the CarPlay plugin. Which leads me to the problem....

Waze and Audible work great with CarPlay, but if I make or receive a call, the microphone doesn't seem to work at all. I did install a microphone with the VLINE2, and it works for voice control. I turned the mic gain all the way up in the CarPlay settings, but when I make a call they can't hear me on the other end. I forget, but is this a known limitation of VLINE? Can anyone shed light on this? Who else uses CarPlay and can you make calls?
Old 09-24-2019, 05:09 PM
MUnitoon
Registered Member

Originally Posted by pburger
I have been using VLINE2 for quite some time now tethering to my phone with Bluetooth. I use Tasker to autoconnect to my phone via Bluetooth and get the internet that way. I use Waze and Audible mainly, so the slower speeds over Bluetooth are okay with me. The connection is automatic, and reliable, which is what I wanted.

But, I just upgraded to iOS 13, and now my Bluetooth tether won't connect to the internet. (I should've left well enough alone) I get the blue bar across the top of the phone showing that the personal hotspot is connected, and the profile in the VLINE2 shows that it is set for Internet access, but the apps say they are offline. I'm not asking for help with this. I may continue to troubleshoot this in the future, but in the meantime I decided to just use the CarPlay plugin. Which leads me to the problem....

Waze and Audible work great with CarPlay, but if I make or receive a call, the microphone doesn't seem to work at all. I did install a microphone with the VLINE2, and it works for voice control. I turned the mic gain all the way up in the CarPlay settings, but when I make a call they can't hear me on the other end. I forget, but is this a known limitation of VLINE? Can anyone shed light on this? Who else uses CarPlay and can you make calls?
I have been able to make and receive calls using the microphone supplied with the kit.

Does the person on the other end just not hear you clearly, or do they not get any sound at all?

Edit: I use CarPlay to make and receive calls

Quick Reply: For the Connected Car "CarPlay-Like" Experience