Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

For the Connected Car "CarPlay-Like" Experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 06:57 PM
Micheal Gordon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by knyghtfire
OMG $63CAD to update to 8.1.....that’s a bit steep no? But anyone who buys a Vline2 now gets 8.1 included? And it’s the same hardware, so why am I paying more? I don’t understand how early adopters pretty much gave you guys the money needed to work on this project.....yet we are the ones who get screwed!

Can I return my unit and get a replacement sent out?
where does it say you have to pay for the update?
Old 02-28-2019, 07:07 PM
JSylvia007

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Micheal Gordon

where does it say you have to pay for the update?
See my attached screenshot...

SERIOUSLY GROMAUDIO?? YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME... THIS IS EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTING.

After all that you have put us (your user community) through, you have the gall to actually charge for this? Disgusting business practice. This update should be free and the steps should be provided for those of us who have a tech background and the necessary tools.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:46 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by knyghtfire
OMG $63CAD to update to 8.1.....that’s a bit steep no? But anyone who buys a Vline2 now gets 8.1 included? And it’s the same hardware, so why am I paying more? I don’t understand how early adopters pretty much gave you guys the money needed to work on this project.....yet we are the ones who get screwed!

Can I return my unit and get a replacement sent out?
We understand that international shipping might be expensive, we will look into the ways to reduce your cost. Also, not sure why $63CAD, as it is $16.99 traceable delivery to Canada. We will check what we can do about international shipping cost. Unfortunately the upgrade to Android 8.1 must be done via MicroSD card formatted by us, due to security additions in Android Oreo.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:41 PM
JSylvia007

Originally Posted by gromaudio
We understand that international shipping might be expensive, we will look into the ways to reduce your cost. Also, not sure why $63CAD, as it is $16.99 traceable delivery to Canada. We will check what we can do about international shipping cost. Unfortunately the upgrade to Android 8.1 must be done via MicroSD card formatted by us, due to security additions in Android Oreo.
Unless you are doing something that requires an individual certificate for EACH individual device, you should certainly be able to just take an image of the card (using dd in Linux) and post that for the rest of us to push back to an identically sized SD card.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:29 AM
knyghtfire
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when I go to checkout with PayPal the only shipping option it gives is $28.99US

This is the only shipping option in PayPal
Old 03-01-2019, 12:29 PM
teahead
Registered Member

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts
Anyone have any updates on long-term reliability?

I want one for my car instead of the Phoenix system.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:32 PM
teahead
Registered Member

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts
Also, can you use your existing OEM radio/nav/phone controls or does take it over completely?
Old 03-05-2019, 11:51 PM
OnlyNismo
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what's the benefit of upgrading to 8.1?
Old 03-11-2019, 09:09 PM
gromaudio
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by OnlyNismo
what's the benefit of upgrading to 8.1?
There is no direct benefit. Visually everything looks the same mostly.
However many apps these days use the very latest API changes for 8.1 and up to display much nicer graphics and some apps simply won't work on 5.1 anymore unless you side load the older version.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:14 PM
JSylvia007

However many apps these days use the very latest API changes for 8.1 and up to display much nicer graphics and some apps simply won't work on 5.1 anymore unless you side load the older version.
From a security perspective, which in today's day and age people really need to think about, there is a huge benefit.

Also... "5-days processing..." I provided my extortion money to your organization on 03/03 and from what the site tells me, it hasn't even shipped yet. It's been over 10 days. I'm glad I didn't pay for expedited shipping.

Your company has a massive image problem and quite frankly an inability to keep your customers happy by continuing to over-promise and significantly under-produce.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:16 PM
JSylvia007

Originally Posted by JSylvia007
From a security perspective, which in today's day and age people really need to think about, there is a huge benefit.

Also... "5-days processing..." I provided my extortion money to your organization on 03/03 and from what the site tells me, it hasn't even shipped yet. It's been over 10 days. I'm glad I didn't pay for expedited shipping.

Your company has a massive image problem and quite frankly an inability to keep your customers happy by continuing to over-promise and significantly under-produce.
In the interest of being an honest broker - my flash card showed up this morning. I'll do the update at some point.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:59 AM
CarbonDave
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When is Android 8.1 coming for V1 users?
Old 03-22-2019, 12:13 PM
Kaighal
Registered Member

Question

Hello Grom

Can you tell us, specifically, if Android 8.1 changes anything for the Waze and Spotify apps ?

Also, please check your private messages, I have been waiting for an answer for 3 weeks now.

Thanks !
Old 03-22-2019, 02:22 PM
pburger
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I upgraded to 8.1 about a week ago or so. In general it's pretty much the same as before, but I like the fact that it's more up to date. I have noticed a couple of differences so far:

1. The Waze App now has a feature where you can add a link to an audio app. I have Stitcher tied in, because I listen to podcasts while driving. There is a button to bring up a submenu to select what show/track you want to listen to, while remaining within Waze.
2. Bluetooth connectivity is quicker! I tether to my iPhone with Bluetooth. It used to take at least 1 minute to connect and maybe longer, and now it connects much quicker upon bootup - usually less than 30 seconds. I am using the Bluetooth Auto Connect app.
The following users liked this post:
Kaighal (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 03:55 PM
Kaighal
Registered Member

That's an interesting review, thanks for sharing your experience

Are you noticing any difference in terms of "performance" ? Do apps load quicker, is transition between apps smoother, etc ? Or is it the same, or perhaps even worse than before ?

Quick Reply: For the Connected Car "CarPlay-Like" Experience