Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

2013 G37 Bose Non-Nav to Nav

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 03:12 AM
mvx
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
2013 G37 Bose Non-Nav to Nav

I have a 2013 G37 Journey with Bose, no navigation, sadly. I want to swap my system with the 2013 G37 navigation unit. I know this is possible, as a DIY guide was created for this:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...with-bose.html

I plan on doing this myself since every single shop I have asked seem to have no knowledge on this specific task. I am having trouble understanding which wires to splice (if I have to for the 2013 model) as shown in the DIY guide. If there is anyone here that can elaborate on this part, I would greatly appreciate it. Keep in mind that this is the 2013 model, everything else I have read seem to be the earlier models.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:13 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
It's possible but not worth it.

A tablet in the dash would be much better.

The stock navigation and screen leave a lot to be desired.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:17 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,073 Posts
If you're doing the swap just to gain NAV then I agree with Blazeplacid, it definitely is not worth the hassle.

Besides the wiring you'd have to replace the preset switch panel, the multi function switch assembly (under the display), steering wheel switches (if you wanted full functionality), and of course source the controller, GPS antenna, and display.

I did the swap but I went from a 2008 Bose non-NAV to a 2014 Bose NAV. The swap is relatively easy but also very tedious. For me, the gains, mainly bluetooth, DVD, and USB, made it worth my while. To date, I've never used the navigation part.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:03 AM
mvx
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
If you're doing the swap just to gain NAV then I agree with Blazeplacid, it definitely is not worth the hassle.

Besides the wiring you'd have to replace the preset switch panel, the multi function switch assembly (under the display), steering wheel switches (if you wanted full functionality), and of course source the controller, GPS antenna, and display.

I did the swap but I went from a 2008 Bose non-NAV to a 2014 Bose NAV. The swap is relatively easy but also very tedious. For me, the gains, mainly bluetooth, DVD, and USB, made it worth my while. To date, I've never used the navigation part.
Did you have any issues with VIN locks or is that something I don't have to worry about?
Old 11-18-2016, 09:12 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

No VIN or other security programming issues. Once the wiring is sorted the unit will plug right in and should work fine.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:12 AM
mvx
Registered Member

No VIN or other security programming issues. Once the wiring is sorted the unit will plug right in and should work fine.
Ah great. I have most parts just waiting on my display screen: head unit from a 2014 q60 with nav, GPS controls, bezel, display screen, wiring from a 2013 g37, and GPS antenna from a 2012 model. I'm sure all these parts will work together since all their connectors are equal. Once I get all the parts I might just have to find the right person to do it for me since I'm a little to scared to mess with the wiring.

Also, did you have to mess with the microphone/ XM stuff in the trunk when you upgraded?
Old 11-18-2016, 11:16 AM
mvx
Registered Member

Ah great. I have most of the parts ready just waiting on the display screen to arrive. I have the head unit from a 2014 q60 with nav, bezel, gps controls, display screen, and wiring from a 2013 g37 with nav, and the gps antenna from a 2012 model. I'm sure all of these parts will collaborate since all the connectors seem to be the same. Once I get all these parts I might just find the right person to do it since I'm too scared to mess with the wiring.

Also, did you have to mess with the microphone/ XM stuff in the trunk when you upgraded like in the DIY?
Old 11-18-2016, 12:13 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Microphone, yes. It works but I've never used the voice recognition crap.

XM, no. I have no use for SAT radio. Makes no sense to pay a monthly fee for crappy programming when I now have the Bluetooth that can stream music from my phone and USB stick for video.

The wiring is not that difficult but if you don't feel comfortable tackling it then definitely find someone more skilled.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:31 PM
mvx
Registered Member

Microphone, yes. It works but I've never used the voice recognition crap.

XM, no. I have no use for SAT radio. Makes no sense to pay a monthly fee for crappy programming when I now have the Bluetooth that can stream music from my phone and USB stick for video.

The wiring is not that difficult but if you don't feel comfortable tackling it then definitely find someone more skilled.
I assume you've had the bose option even before the switch, after the switch did you notice any quality loss or is everything still normal?
Old 08-01-2017, 01:08 PM
dusta1981

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How did this turn out? I am thinking of doing this to my 2013 G37.