Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Finally got an AUX and BT for my G, NON NAV

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 10:08 AM
OBG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally got an AUX and BT for my G, NON NAV

So I finally got tired of not having an AUX in my car nor having the function to stream music. SO I went ahead and purchased the GROM Audio interface module. This module removes the SAT function on your car. I don’t use it so why not.

Grom Audio AUX Input Adapter:

Nissan Infiniti 02-11 Auxiliary Input Adapter Kit - SAT Emulation

Installation was simple and straight forward. I installed it and VIOLA I had aux in my car to plug m y phone and hear music from. SO from there I went a further step more and purchased a Bluetooth adapter.

I bought this:

Mpow Bluetooth Receiver, Streambot Bluetooth Adapter & Hands-Free Car Kits, Mini Wireless Music Adapter for Home/Car Audio Stereo System
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I hooked it up and DAMN, I am streaming music VIA Bluetooth. No cords. All wireless

I purchased both from Amazon and Total I spent $87.26.

Quality of the music is great and no distortion.

If you all decide this is great alternative.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:11 PM
WiseguyzzInc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only if they designed this to retain XM, I'd be all over it.

Why did you not just get the BT3 version? Instead of the regular aux adapter version and a separate BT dongle that needs to be charged?

Last edited by WiseguyzzInc; 09-12-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:42 PM
vmastros

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey OBG, can you tell me what you had to do to install it? Did you have to remove the radio?
Old 09-12-2016, 06:32 PM
WiseguyzzInc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes. Radio removal is required for the GROM boxes.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:22 AM
atdrennen
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just installed the GROM BT3 today. I figured I'd chime in here instead of making a whole new thread for a couple of installation tips.

I have a 2012 G37 Journey; non-Nav with Bose. So I have bluetooth calling but not audio. As an Android user, this is very problematic because I can't stream audio.

So on to the BT3.... I used this as my main guidance for installation: INFINITI G37 WITHOUT NAV 2012: GROM-BT3 Bluetooth Hands Free and A2DP Car Kit Installation

A couple of notes to make this easier and how I did things -

When you go to remove the main lower AV unit, these directions highly suggest some sort of screw grabber thingamajig (theirs is yellow handled). I simply backed the screws out to the last thread, and then put a little backwards pressure to pull the unit out, and then loosed the screws all the way and was able to pull them out with the unit, no issues.

Also I did not have to move the shifter into gear in order to remove this.

I dropped part of the 12v hot wire tap into the 7th circle of center console hell. Didn't bother trying to find it and just ended up stripping and soldering in directly.

On my car, the 12v constant power wire was YELLOW. For my 2012 unit, the GROM directions did not have an exact picture of which connection pin (wire) I should be tapping in to. The short answer is that you just take the main adapter wire they provide, find which hole on the radio it will fit into. Next to it is another plug. This other slot has two larger pins on each end. One large pin has a corresponding black wire, the other side is not black, in my case yellow....I really should have taken pictures.

I bought the 3.5mm aux in attachment but don't expect to ever use it. Rather than spend a lot of time pulling the center console to install, I simply ran the line down to the foot well of the driver side. There is a very clear and easy way to route this down there. I don't expect to ever use it, but it's down there and hooked up, so it's atleast there and available if I every REALLY were inclined....

If I were going to do a proper install of the aux, I think that a perfect place would be on the left side of the pocket that houses the cigarette lighter at the bottom of the center console. There's a nice little flat area on the left side nearest the driver.

Hope this helps somebody.