Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Just wired my sub, amp not turning on.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 05:09 AM
Melophile

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Just wired my sub, amp not turning on.

I'm using wires 23-26 on harness B41 with a LOC. I have checked all the connections and everything is correct, but my amp is not turning on. What are some things I could check?
Old 08-15-2016, 10:02 AM
dwb993
Premier Member

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts
Grab your remote turn on from #22 in that harness.

Also, you may want to ditch the LOC---I tried using one and it killed the signal to the amp. You may need to wire direct. Check Page 5 of my Build Thread for more info.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:00 PM
TBau651

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
+1 for direct wiring. Worked for me with no issues, there's a few good DIYs out there which would definitely include the ones in dwb993's build thread. I've heard nothing but bad things about LOC's... Here's a little harness I whipped up so your system can be taken out and put back in with ease and give you a clean look with no wires hanging, just to put some ideas in your head...

Old 08-16-2016, 06:51 AM
Melophile

Originally Posted by TBau651
+1 for direct wiring. Worked for me with no issues, there's a few good DIYs out there which would definitely include the ones in dwb993's build thread. I've heard nothing but bad things about LOC's... Here's a little harness I whipped up so your system can be taken out and put back in with ease and give you a clean look with no wires hanging, just to put some ideas in your head...

Wow, I would like to make something like that. Where did you get that plug from? And do you think you could draw me a simple diagram how to wire that?

And what connector are you using to connect to the wiring harness (the red thing in your photo)? It's blurry when I zoom in, so I can't get a clear view of what you're using.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:34 PM
TBau651

Originally Posted by Melophile
Wow, I would like to make something like that. Where did you get that plug from? And do you think you could draw me a simple diagram how to wire that?

And what connector are you using to connect to the wiring harness (the red thing in your photo)? It's blurry when I zoom in, so I can't get a clear view of what you're using.
I started with a basic RCA cable, cut off the connectors on one end, determined + & - and then soldered on short leads that closely corresponded colorwise to the colors being tapped in the factory amp. (This was before I decided to ad the 5 pin connector):

I also added a single transparent blue wire to become the "remote on" wire:

The connector itself comes with standard colors: Blue,Yellow,White Black,Red (I tried to make them correspond to the colors of the wires being tapped/wires in the harness as well but there's not much similarity, which is why having a diagram or at least a plan was critical here)I drew up this diagram at the time, its pretty crappy but it made sense to me for this project (I added a few pieces of missing info):

Finished by soldering up and shrink tubing my connections from the harness to the plug, and adding the wire taps:

Here's the plug: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-x-Set-Female-and-Male-Connector-Plug-5-way-5-pin-Waterproof-Electrical-Wire-/262363488406?hash=item3d16152096
The red cylinder shaped things at the end of the wires are Posi-Taps - IMO the best wire taps money can buy. Not easy to source locally in most cases but well worth slightly higher price & the hassle of having to order them. I always have some of these on hand for wiring projects.
https://www.amazon.com/Posi-tap-Conn...words=posi+tap
The following users liked this post:
Melophile (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 10:07 PM
Melophile

So I think I figured out the problem to my wiring. It has to do with the size of the wires coming from the harness and the splice connectors that I've used. I'm a complete noob to wiring, so I didn't think about wire sizes when hooking all this up/buying splice connectors. The splice connectors I bought are made for 14-18 AWG wire and the wires coming from the B41 are much smaller than 14-18 AWG (probably like 30+ AWG or something).

I'm most likely going to go with the idea that TBau651 posted above. I just have one question about the posi-taps. Will those work with the tiny wires coming from the B41 harness? In the product description on Amazon, they are rated to work with 20-22 AWG wire. As stated above, I'm a complete noob to wiring so I may be misunderstanding something. How do you splice two wires of different gauges?
Old 08-17-2016, 10:19 PM
dwb993
Premier Member

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts
Yes, they will work. Get the red ones....link in my build thread.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:40 PM
Melophile

The initial problem when I posted this thread was that the splice connectors that I used were too big for the wires coming from the B41 harness. I think the splice connectors were rated for 16-18 AWG wires or something. Turns out the splices weren't cutting all the way through to the wire, therefore, not making a connection.

I ended up going with TBau651's idea and wired everything to a plug just simply to keep it clean and it can be unplugged any time when I need to have my sub removed from the trunk. I also thought the posi-taps weren't going to work because they are rated for 20-22 AWG wire and the wires coming from the B41 harness were a lot thinner than 20-22 AWG, but fortunately, they did work. My wiring setup is exactly the same as TBau651's and I vouch for this wiring method.

Off-topic, but UPS delivered my coils while I was installing the sub
Old 08-23-2016, 07:56 AM
TBau651

Glad to hear it all came together in the end!