Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Cluster/ gauges not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 08:31 PM
kevinb37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cluster/ gauges not working

Hey, new to this forum and excited to be here! I just ran into a problem and was wondering if anyone could help me out. I have a 2010 G37x. Okay so I'm probably sure everyone knows about the whole issue with android phones not working with streaming music. So I was looking around and found a site that sells and audio jack adapter that plugs into xm radio. It's from Grom. So I purchased it. I installed it. But the next day the xm radio and the grom unit were going in and out. Like the grom unit would work for a few mins. Then my xm radio would cut in. Was really weird since I thought I disconnected the unit in the trunk. Anyways. I took the dash apart to see if I could tap into another power source. STUPID MISTAKE on my end. I tapped into a black wire. Put everything back together and when I went to turn the car on. My cluster is dead, no power except in the center and it just shows my mpg. I have no power to control my a/c etc.... My shifter was stuck in park. And it seems that my alternator is not working as well. The next day my battery was pretty much dead. Do you guys have any suggestions on what is going on here? I know already that I shouldn't have done what I have done. This totally sucks. Any positive feedback would be great!

Last edited by kevinb37; 06-08-2016 at 09:17 PM. Reason: forgot to add year and modle
Old 06-09-2016, 08:44 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Sorry to hear of your rough start Kevin, I'm moving this to a more specific folder, hope you get it sorted out and welcome to the site!
Brad
Old 06-09-2016, 09:50 AM
sLADe781
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinb37
Hey, new to this forum and excited to be here! I just ran into a problem and was wondering if anyone could help me out. I have a 2010 G37x. Okay so I'm probably sure everyone knows about the whole issue with android phones not working with streaming music. So I was looking around and found a site that sells and audio jack adapter that plugs into xm radio. It's from Grom. So I purchased it. I installed it. But the next day the xm radio and the grom unit were going in and out. Like the grom unit would work for a few mins. Then my xm radio would cut in. Was really weird since I thought I disconnected the unit in the trunk. Anyways. I took the dash apart to see if I could tap into another power source. STUPID MISTAKE on my end. I tapped into a black wire. Put everything back together and when I went to turn the car on. My cluster is dead, no power except in the center and it just shows my mpg. I have no power to control my a/c etc.... My shifter was stuck in park. And it seems that my alternator is not working as well. The next day my battery was pretty much dead. Do you guys have any suggestions on what is going on here? I know already that I shouldn't have done what I have done. This totally sucks. Any positive feedback would be great!

I would take the dash apart again and make sure that all the connectors in the back were plugged in correctly. When I first purchased my car, I took apart the dash as well and accidentally switched 2 of the plugs in the back. All the plugs in the back were different except those 2 and they were right next to each other and I unknowingly swapped them. When I turned the car back on, my screen was blank and my center console was acting funky (IE, the fan was on when I didn't turn it on, the AC didn't work, etc etc). I had no choice but to tear into the dash again and when I realized the 2 identical plugs in the back, I switched them back and everything went back to normal.

Hope this helps...good luck buddy!
The following users liked this post:
JayKuul (06-10-2021)
Old 06-09-2016, 05:00 PM
kevinb37

Thank you sLADe781 for the advice! I took it apart and the plugs that I unplugged were all in the right place. I scheduled an appointment for tomorrow. A little nervous about how much this is going to cost. But it is my fault. I will post what exactly happened as soon as I get the car back...
Old 09-24-2017, 12:09 PM
rolo22

what ended up being the issue kevin??
Old 09-29-2017, 03:47 PM
Elco
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
The problem is the big plug that goes into the AC amp (the white plastic box above the AV unit)
There is an identical plug that goes into the AV unit. You swapped the 2 plugs and that cause the dash and AC problems.
Usually the AC AMP connectors are marked with a yellow tape.

BTW!!! what android bluetooth streaming problem are you talking about?
I never had such problems and i used many phones to stream music to the car audio system.
From galaxy S2 to S8, never had issues with BT.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:55 PM
rolo22

WHAAAAAT!?!?!? If we're looking at the attached picture; are you saying the plug on the right of the box on top and the plug on the bottom right of the AV unit can be accidentally swapped??

I don't have the NAV system in my vehicle so I can't stream music from my android phone. I was looking for an alternative and stumbled upon Grom Audio and didn't have much luck with it. My car is currently in the shop being diagnosed because of the dash and AC problems! The guy is saying "the meter amp is shorting out the system". Could I have messed it up by swapping the plugs?!?
Old 09-29-2017, 04:15 PM
Elco
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rolo22
WHAAAAAT!?!?!? If we're looking at the attached picture; are you saying the plug on the right of the box on top and the plug on the bottom right of the AV unit can be accidentally swapped??

I don't have the NAV system in my vehicle so I can't stream music from my android phone. I was looking for an alternative and stumbled upon Grom Audio and didn't have much luck with it. My car is currently in the shop being diagnosed because of the dash and AC problems! The guy is saying "the meter amp is shorting out the system". Could I have messed it up by swapping the plugs?!?
YES!!!
THEY CAN BE SWAPPED!!!
That's why the plugs that go into the AC amp are marked with a yellow tape...
Connect the plugs correctly and it should be OK... if you didn't mess up something else while trying to fix the problem...
The following users liked this post:
cp72ss (10-13-2021)
Old 09-29-2017, 04:23 PM
Elco
Registered Member

LOL just check them out on a NAV unit too
You can swap even more
Attached Thumbnails Cluster/ gauges not working-20170929_232033.jpg  
Old 09-29-2017, 04:38 PM
rolo22

WHYYYY would they do this?! I feel like such a fool! I didn't do anything aside from trying to replace fuses to no avail.

Hopefully the dealer doesn't try to play games with me and realizes it is that simple error (if that's all it is). Thanks for the information even this was such an old thread. I really appreciate it.

*EDIT* He just sent me a text saying that theyve identified the problem as a failure to the meter amp. they bypassed it and got the cluster and ac to react. price to install is $836.71. sigh sad day

Last edited by rolo22; 09-29-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:00 AM
Superjay

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Additionally, you need to disconnect the Sat Radio tuner for the GROM to work properly
Old 03-31-2021, 05:51 PM
1BadG374u

Hey Kevin

Originally Posted by kevinb37

I believe I did the same thing installing the Tesla screen an I flipped the ac plug an now ac don’t work an dash lights up but my Mph an tachometer don’t work did I burn up the ac gray box can I buy another one or do I have to take it to the dealer any help I would appreciate
Old 05-12-2021, 09:46 PM
Sferg91

1Badg374u

Originally Posted by 1BadG374u
I believe I did the same thing installing the Tesla screen an I flipped the ac plug an now ac don’t work an dash lights up but my Mph an tachometer don’t work did I burn up the ac gray box can I buy another one or do I have to take it to the dealer any help I would appreciate
Did you ever resolve this? I ended up doing the same thing to my Infiniti FX35. I bought a new AC Amp / Unified meter. Please chime in. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2021, 02:45 PM
JayKuul
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sLADe781
I would take the dash apart again and make sure that all the connectors in the back were plugged in correctly. When I first purchased my car, I took apart the dash as well and accidentally switched 2 of the plugs in the back. All the plugs in the back were different except those 2 and they were right next to each other and I unknowingly swapped them. When I turned the car back on, my screen was blank and my center console was acting funky (IE, the fan was on when I didn't turn it on, the AC didn't work, etc etc). I had no choice but to tear into the dash again and when I realized the 2 identical plugs in the back, I switched them back and everything went back to normal.

Hope this helps...good luck buddy!
You sir, have saved me from an $1800 possible dealer charge, that might have solved it. Thank you!
Old 10-03-2021, 10:23 PM
Boss'Don
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 1BadG374u
I have same problem did u ever resolve this?please i just tooo apart my stereo and nd now the odmoeter wont tell me the soeed ir gas and ac don’t work??

Quick Reply: Cluster/ gauges not working