Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Cluster/ gauges not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 11:57 AM
cp72ss
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just installed a new "used" navi unit and am having the same issue. The radio works, The AC controls come on but actually don't do anything and the Dash Tach, speedo, gas guage etc don't work. Could it be the swaping of plugs or becuase its a new "Nav HD" unit does it need to be programed by the dealer?
Old 10-16-2021, 10:21 AM
JayKuul
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Elco
YES!!!
THEY CAN BE SWAPPED!!!
That's why the plugs that go into the AC amp are marked with a yellow tape...
Connect the plugs correctly and it should be OK... if you didn't mess up something else while trying to fix the problem...
After my mistaken swap, ever since, the radio/climate backlights no longer work and cannot for the life of of me, figure out why. I purchased another faceplace off Ebay but no difference.

Anyone know how the backlighted LEDS for Radio/climate and controls are powered?
Old 10-16-2021, 12:07 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 1,072 Posts
@JayKuul First, do any of the other nighttime, interior illumination lights turn on (ie. steering wheel switches, NAV switches, door lock/window switches​​​​​​ [edit, these are always illuminated], mirror control switch, center console (shifter indicator/heated seat switches), glove box, clock, etc. when you turn the lights on? Does the gauge cluster dim when you turn the lights on?

Just about all of the nighttime illumination LED's receive 12V+ from the fuse box (via tail lamp relay) and ground is sourced from the BCM with a inline diode somewhere in the harness.

If you haven't already, download sections INL (Interior Lighting) and PG (Power and Ground) of the factory service manual for your specific car from here.

Assuming everything else works as intended, then you will have to trace the two wires from the switch panel back. If nothing is working then you would trace from the tail lamp relay forward.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 10-17-2021 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Edited to provide updated, more correct info.
Old 10-17-2021, 09:58 AM
JayKuul
Registered Member

Door lock switches, shifter indicator, heated seats light when your turn them on, Steering wheel, clock, all climate ad radio and main lcd controls do not light. Do not know if the glove box lit or not.

The guages all works fine, has separate briteness controls that work fine..
Old 10-17-2021, 10:29 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Just to clarify for those who may read this in the future: the power window/door lock switch(es) are constantly illuminated. I should have asked if the power mirror control switch illuminates when the headlights are turned on.

That said, everything I mentioned in my previous post operates off of the same circuit. For some lights to work and others not, indicates that there is a wiring issue somewhere in the harness. Could be as simple as a broken/pinched wire, or other damage as a result of your "mistaken swap" [of the connectors]. But if some of the lights are working, you can rule out the main circuit.

Unfortunately, it will be next to impossible to diagnose here, online. Again, download the factory manual and start familiarizing yourself with the wiring diagrams and connector pinouts.
The following users liked this post:
JayKuul (10-18-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 10:40 AM
JayKuul
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Just to clarify for those who may read this in the future: the power window/door lock switch(es) are constantly illuminated. I should have asked if the power mirror control switch illuminates when the headlights are turned on.

That said, everything I mentioned in my previous post operates off of the same circuit. For some lights to work and others not, indicates that there is a wiring issue somewhere in the harness. Could be as simple as a broken/pinched wire, or other damage as a result of your "mistaken swap" [of the connectors]. But if some of the lights are working, you can rule out the main circuit.

Unfortunately, it will be next to impossible to diagnose here, online. Again, download the factory manual and start familiarizing yourself with the wiring diagrams and connector pinouts.
Well as weird as this was, it wound being that stupid 10A fuse inside the IPDM, as I also noticed I had no rear parking lights last night. Thx for all your info regardless, such a great community here.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:45 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Originally Posted by JayKuul
Well as weird as this was, it wound being that stupid 10A fuse inside the IPDM, as I also noticed I had no rear parking lights last night.
Well, that makes sense as most of the interior nighttime illuminations get power from the tail lamp relay. Glad you got it all sorted. Thanks for the update.
Old 03-02-2024, 12:48 AM
GD1RTY7

Originally Posted by Elco
The problem is the big plug that goes into the AC amp (the white plastic box above the AV unit)
There is an identical plug that goes into the AV unit. You swapped the 2 plugs and that cause the dash and AC problems.
Usually the AC AMP connectors are marked with a yellow tape.

BTW!!! what android bluetooth streaming problem are you talking about?
I never had such problems and i used many phones to stream music to the car audio system.
From galaxy S2 to S8, never had issues with BT.
i love ur soul for this