Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Install aftermarket double din system by downgrading OEM nav to non-nav

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 04:28 PM
capnmorganxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Install aftermarket double din system by downgrading OEM nav to non-nav

Hi everyone, long time lurker first time poster.

I am looking for options on upgrading my '11 G37XS infotainment system. I'm aware of some of the options from Prodigy, moving the climate control system, etc.

I stumbled on this today on eBay: Car Stereo Radio Dash Install Mount Face Kit Combo for Some 08 13 Infiniti G37 | eBay

Would it be possible to use this kit if I downgraded from OEM Nav to OEM non-nav? This kit is the only one I've ever seen to include physical climate controls.

Thoughts? Am I pretty much limited to what's in the car OEM? I'm used to working on BMW's where if it didn't have iDrive, I could at least drop in something from Dynavin that reads data from the MOST/OBD2 network in the car so that climate control functions would be displayed onto the aftermarket unit.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:13 PM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
That is a Metra unit. Are you sure you don't want to keep your factory unit and use speaker level inputs amp/DSP?
Old 02-25-2016, 10:05 AM
capnmorganxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm planning on installing a 5 channel amp anyways. I'm looking to upgrade to Carplay/Siri Eyes Free functionality by adding a shallow depth Alpine ILX-007. The OEM nav system is absolutely terrible. The Bluetooth calling function is completely unusable. I've had it into the shop multiple times to be fixed and the G37 is my wife's car, who has zero patience for technology not working. Infiniti has not been able to make the outbound voice clarity usable.

I was originally going to sell the car for an E90 and then drop a Dynavin system into that car. I was continually getting lowballed from dealers on the trade, and I think the G37 is a much better car than a 328XI E90. I decided to look into options for removing the OEM system and just keep the car.

Any thoughts on the removal of the OEM nav system? I'm assuming I could keep the stock screen then use the kit from eBay for HVAC controls and the original screen would just be used for volume and hvac control display.