Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

G37 Sedan Rear Door Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 02:06 PM
Robert Berry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37 Sedan Rear Door Speakers

I recently replaced the rear door speakers in my 2009 G7X Sedan. I noticed while looking for information on all these sites that nobody really ever definitively answered questions about the size of the speakers. I have just the base stereo, without Bose. Both front and rear are close to 6.5" I think but definitely what fits back in. I replaced the rear with 6.75", I think the 6.5" would have worked better since I used the stock speakers as my mounting brackets. If you have the base radio (non-Bose) you shouldn't need to buy any aftermarket brackets, and after seeing the stock speakers, I don't think it would be worth it to keep them and sell them, they are very cheap. I am going to attach a couple pics to show you what I did. Once I removed the stock speakers, I just basically pulled it apart and using a dremel tool, I cut out the plastic parts that were in the way and set the speaker right down inside the stock speaker and screwed it in place. Before doing that I added a little bit of weather striping for padding. I am not a professional installer by any means, but I have notices there are a lot of questions and people looking for speaker brackets or having a professional installer fabricate something, you really can use the stock speaker with this easy modification and do it yourself. And just a note, I have the base stereo (non-Bose) and all 4 door speakers were identical, so if you have the non-bose you can use the stock speakers in all 4 doors to do this. Also a note, I had a shop install the amp and front speakers which included the sound deadening material you see on the back doors.
Attached Thumbnails G37 Sedan Rear Door Speakers-wp_20150926_001.jpg   G37 Sedan Rear Door Speakers-wp_20150926_002.jpg   G37 Sedan Rear Door Speakers-wp_20150926_003.jpg   G37 Sedan Rear Door Speakers-wp_20150926_004.jpg   G37 Sedan Rear Door Speakers-wp_20150926_005.jpg  

G37 Sedan Rear Door Speakers-wp_20150926_006.jpg   G37 Sedan Rear Door Speakers-wp_20150926_007.jpg   G37 Sedan Rear Door Speakers-wp_20150926_008.jpg   G37 Sedan Rear Door Speakers-wp_20150926_009.jpg  

Last edited by Robert Berry; 11-04-2015 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Missing year
Old 11-04-2015, 02:15 PM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Nice! I too will go with Hertz. What does your system consist of? Are you happy?
Old 11-04-2015, 03:13 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
brackets aren't really that much money

The standard Nissan mounting brackets will work
Old 11-04-2015, 03:19 PM
Robert Berry

Ok, as I said, I had a shop do the initial install, I wasn't happy with the install but I am ok with the sound. Here are the components that I had put in:

Front Speakers: Hertz DSK165.3
Rear Speakers: Hertz DCX 170.3
Amp: Cerwin-Vega B4 (600W 4ch)
They also in there somewhere have the wiring harness that is tapped into the factory wiring. Other than the wiring to the amp, the speaker wires were all the factory wiring.

Ok, the guys who installed this did a sucky job, had I known they were going to install it the way they did, I would have done it myself, I could have hacked it up that bad myself, it took them 8 1/2 hours the first time and they screwed up the whole thing, anyway, they put the amp under the carpet on the passenger side floorboard, I would have put it in the back where the Bose Amp goes and that is what I thought they were going to do, the B4 is a pretty small amp and I think it would have fit back there pretty nicely. The other issue, is they put the tweeters in the sail panel, but he didn't measure them before cutting a hole and putting them in, it wasn't until he was done and went to put the door panel back on did he realize the tweeter was half way covered up and since it has a pretty good gap there now, they are sending me the replacement panels and I am just going to move the tweeters to the stock location in the door.

Overall though this is a great setup, or at least I think it is. It really accomplished what I wanted which was more sound and better sound, since the stock radio alone just wasn't loud enough. I am also not at an age anymore where I need to run around with a sub thumping all over the place, I love my bass in the mid to low and with this setup you can crank it pretty good and get some decent bass out of it. I also have seen some people state that all the sound should come from in front of you and not behind and the sub/bass is the only thing that should come from behind you. Before I put in the back set of speakers on my own, they had it setup that way using the stock speakers, in my G37, the sound was coming mostly from my feet and the bass from back was just horrid. So once I put the back speakers in and have the sensitivity turned up a bit, I really have it balanced more, for me the sound now is balanced so it sounds like it is coming from just about center of the car, maybe just slightly forward, not sure if that makes sense.

There are only two issues I have with the actual system itself, first the stock radio only has Bass and Treble adjustments, it would be nice to have a mid adjustment. This really manifests itself in the second issue which is the tuner. The tuner isn't very strong and reliable, so picking up a good solid radio station sometimes is difficult and sound quality suffers, in some instances this is where it would be nice to be able to toy with the sound quality as bass/treble just don't seem to be enough, but you would likely have to do that for every radio station. So the other thing here is that I have XM free for three months, when you tune into an XM station, the sound quality is excellent, no need for those additional adjustments however, the signal isn't as strong, so you end up at the higher end of the volume ****, I have a little bit of room on the sensitivity for the amp, but not sure I want to fiddle with that anymore. So if you go from XM to Radio, the radio comes in much stronger and louder. So, I am letting the XM go and bought a simple RCA plug for the jack in the console that I can plug into the headphone jack on my phone, I tried it out and the sound quality is much better than XM and you can totally jack up the volume, so I will just use the AUX and play music from my ITunes or something.

Other than those two things, the sound is great, I am just going to find a new place at some point and relocate the amp to the trunk, have them fix the wiring nightmare they left me with and move the tweeters to the stock location.

The amp and 4 speakers are perfectly matched to the stock radio, I think you would need another amp potentially if you really wanted to add a sub, the non-bose is 4ohms I think and this amp and speakers are also, so it is a good match.

So, for the most part, I am happy the sound quality for the digital stuff like from ITunes/XM is great, some radio stations are good too if you can get a good strong solid signal.

R
Old 11-04-2015, 03:27 PM
Robert Berry

Originally Posted by blazeplacid
brackets aren't really that much money

The standard Nissan mounting brackets will work
The ones that are in there are free and they work! But, I do have a question though, since I didn't put the tweeters in and haven't taken the front door panel off myself, I had at one point found the part number, I think it was Metra, for the tweeter adapter brackets to put a tweeter in the stock door location, now it seems that I can't find the link anymore, anyone know what that part number is or if I can just use a simple metal strap to put them in there?
Old 11-07-2015, 11:09 PM
Robert Berry

Adding some pics for the tweeters

Ok, so I fixed the tweeters today, again, the disappointment with the job the so called professionals did, loose and stripped screws, they had the wrong ones in the window track that they took out which were loose since they weren't the right ones and causing the window track to thump when the window was down. Fixed that. Also surprised to find factory tweeters, still in and yes, still connected, why would you mess with the cover for the mirror to put in the new ones and leave this crappy little speaker in there? I tell you that the sound is once again improved, the issues I had in sound when using the tuner and radio I think are related to the double tweeter setup, the sound is much better now. So my question is this, I just put the tweeter in a thicker piece of cardboard, which I painted black and put some double sided tape on, this should be good enough right? There shouldn't be any need for me to go in and make something better out of plastic or something else? It is very secure in the cardboard, yes, ghetto maybe but it does the job. Oh, and as you can see, I cut up the old tweeter and just mounted the new tweeter in the cardboard, I left part of the old tweeter that held the old magnet on as tabs, in the future if I want to add a different tweeter or mount it some other way, I left them in there should I need some backing or support. I am liking hacking up the old cheap speakers!
Attached Thumbnails G37 Sedan Rear Door Speakers-img_0024.jpg   G37 Sedan Rear Door Speakers-img_0025.jpg   G37 Sedan Rear Door Speakers-img_0013.jpg   G37 Sedan Rear Door Speakers-img_0016.jpg   G37 Sedan Rear Door Speakers-img_0022.jpg  

G37 Sedan Rear Door Speakers-img_0029.jpg   G37 Sedan Rear Door Speakers-img_0021.jpg  
Old 11-08-2015, 07:17 AM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
That couldn't have cost you anything, what a hack!
Old 11-09-2015, 12:57 PM
Robert Berry

It only cost me a few bucks for the flat black spray paint that I didn't have, but otherwise it just cost me a little bit of time!
Old 11-09-2015, 01:00 PM
Robert Berry

And here are the part numbers for the covers that are on the back side of the mirrors in case you were curios or needed a part number. Sorry, I don't know which is R and which is L

Corner Cover - 80292-JK000
Corner Cover - 80293-JK000
Attached Thumbnails G37 Sedan Rear Door Speakers-img_0030.jpg  

Last edited by Robert Berry; 11-09-2015 at 01:01 PM. Reason: adding picture