Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Replacing stock navigation screen

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 10:42 AM
JakeG37

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Replacing stock navigation screen

Ok, I know we have all looked into ways of using a third party screen to replace the stock system but cannot due to the way the Bose system and navigation integrate. I was thinking of a different approach and wonder what you guys think?

I am wondering if I was to extend the harnesses that connect to the stock screen and relocate the screen behind the dash somewhere, could I then put a different display in the stock location? To get the display information from the stock setup I was thinking we could just tap those signals off (and convert them to a useable format) and route them through a selectable switch to the new display. You could still control the inputs when you are viewing the stock video using the factory control panel.

I am competent at doing wiring so I feel I have the skill set to accomplish this but do you guys think this is a viable solution? I was about to buy a 2010 navi screen and use an interface to connect it to my 2008 navi system which would allow up to 5 AV inputs. The issue with this is, I would not get a quality touch screen like I could through a third party and interfacing with my CarPC would not be as enjoyable and visually appealing. Your thoughts?
Old 10-17-2015, 11:43 AM
JakeG37

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Actually, I was thinking, I know there was a integration of a Nexus 7 to replace the stock display in another thread. Couldnt I just remove the factory display altogether and just tap the video signals I need to convert and route to the new monitor?