Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

How can I play music from my phone in the car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 12:19 PM
Marisol Bravo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How can I play music from my phone in the car?

I have a 2011 G37. I know and have been able to pair my phone with the car to make and receive calls. However, I cannot play music from my phone even when it is paired. Is there a Bluetooth adapter I can buy or a USB to AUX converter? Is there anything I can do?
Old 01-21-2015, 12:44 PM
Moultese
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm assuming you have a bluetooth capable phone since you've already paired it to make and take phone calls. When you set it up, it asked you if you were using it as a phone system, and you probably selected "yes." You actually want to select "no" and then continue the process of setting it up. This way you can play music. If you have the owner's manual, the process should be in section 4.

If you don't have the owner's manual, you can view it and download it here:
http://www.infiniti-techinfo.com/ref...-G37-Sedan.pdf
Bluetooth pairing for audio play begins on page 4-66.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:46 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
I'm not sure if phone-call pairing is offered while music streaming isn't. I know that Nissan offer speakerphone functionality in their 2014 Sentra without the ability to stream music. If you spend $800+ on a certain package, then you can stream music too.

So what I'm saying is that I'm not sure if Infiniti did the same thing...where you can do speakerphone, but not stream until you upgrade to the premium package or Nav...whatever.

I can tell you 100% if you have the 10 speaker Bose system with Nav, you can stream music too.

You may have to select your phone as the music streaming source in the Bluetooth settings. Poke around in there, it should be straightforward.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:01 PM
ay37
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm assuming you have an android... iphone doesn't need to do this, but on your droid, check your bluetooth menu, find the car you are paired with and click on it to edit its settings, and then make sure "media audio" box is checked just like "call audio" is...

again, i'm assuming you have an android.. that might be your solution.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:38 PM
chitown87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What options are required for audio Bluetooth streaming?

Just the navigation? Or is the full technology package required?

Thanks
Old 01-21-2015, 09:49 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by chitown87
What options are required for audio Bluetooth streaming?

Just the navigation? Or is the full technology package required?

Thanks
Definitely not technology package. That has the front sonar which allows for the adaptive cruise control.
I'd you have nav, then I think you also have premium. Not sure if streaming comes with premium or nav, but you sure don't need technology.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:57 PM
RavensMinded00
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts
If you dont have a navigation system you are basically forced to go with a grom box. It works fine but you won't have XM Radio and the file names do not shoe up on the screen. If you can live with that I would recommend the Grom Box. There is a DIY for the install already.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-grom-box.html
Old 01-22-2015, 12:14 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 230 Posts
You need to add a hands-free bluetooth car kit that supports A2DP.

The Parrot MKi9000 is what I put in my wife's car:
Amazon.com: Parrot MKi9000 Advanced Bluetooth hands-free car kit for iPod: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Parrot MKi9000 Advanced Bluetooth hands-free car kit for iPod: Cell Phones & Accessories
Old 01-22-2015, 11:10 AM
Swaj420

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can confirm that the $10 NAXA NAB-4003 adaptor (ordered from amazon.com) works with a 2011 G37 Bose w/o Nav. This is paired with my HTC 1m8 phone. Others have had success with this devices as well, see link below.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...o-adapter.html
Old 01-22-2015, 12:18 PM
ay37
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
correct me if I'm wrong, but if he can connect to phone, he should be able to stream also, right? I know some cars only allow phone connection, but no music... such as a 2009 gtr... but in later models they addressed it to do both. I didn't think infiniti was this way... my buddy had a 2011 coupe without nav package and he claims he used to be able to stream Bluetooth prior to selling it... assuming his memory serves him correct.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:04 PM
smilinsteve
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by v1mirage
correct me if I'm wrong, but if he can connect to phone, he should be able to stream also, right? I know some cars only allow phone connection, but no music... such as a 2009 gtr... but in later models they addressed it to do both. I didn't think infiniti was this way... my buddy had a 2011 coupe without nav package and he claims he used to be able to stream Bluetooth prior to selling it... assuming his memory serves him correct.
No. They offered the Premium non-nav system with hands free Bluetooth calling but not music streaming. There is no reason for them to not enable music streaming, other than to force you to buy the nav system.

Other annoying things about the audio system are that the head unit is not replaceable, it has no accessory jacks in back for adding components like Bluetooth, equalizer, etc, Only has basic bass and treble adjustment for a premium Bose system, has no aux jack, etc.
Other than that, its great
Old 01-22-2015, 01:06 PM
smilinsteve
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Swaj420
I can confirm that the $10 NAXA NAB-4003 adaptor (ordered from amazon.com) works with a 2011 G37 Bose w/o Nav. This is paired with my HTC 1m8 phone. Others have had success with this devices as well, see link below.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...o-adapter.html
Yes! I have one of these and it is a brilliant solution. Plug it into the USB port and pair to it and you are streaming for 10 bucks!
Old 01-22-2015, 01:11 PM
smilinsteve
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RavensMinded00
If you dont have a navigation system you are basically forced to go with a grom box. It works fine but you won't have XM Radio and the file names do not shoe up on the screen. If you can live with that I would recommend the Grom Box. There is a DIY for the install already.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-grom-box.html
Grom is a solution if you don't care about losing your satellite radio. But the NAXA adapter is so cheap and easy, and you don't give up anything other than the USB port, when it's in use.

Amazon.com: NAXA Electronics Wireless Audio Adapter with Bluetooth for USB Connectors (NAB-4003): Electronics Amazon.com: NAXA Electronics Wireless Audio Adapter with Bluetooth for USB Connectors (NAB-4003): Electronics

ISimple also makes Aux-in adapters and Bluetooth adapters. Since there is no input on the head unit for these types of devices, they make an adapter that taps into your head unit FM antenna wire, and you tune to a preset FM station to stream. Since it is a hard wire into the antenna, it is better than an FM modulator, but similar in principle. I bought one but never installed it after I found the NAXA.

Amazon.com : iSimple IS31 Antenna Bypass FM Modulator for Factory or Aftermarket Car Radios : Vehicle Audio Auxiliary Adapters : Car Electronics Amazon.com : iSimple IS31 Antenna Bypass FM Modulator for Factory or Aftermarket Car Radios : Vehicle Audio Auxiliary Adapters : Car Electronics

Amazon.com: iSimple ISFM21 TranzIt Universal Bluetooth Enabled FM Transmitter Car Kit for Android Devices, Blue: Electronics Amazon.com: iSimple ISFM21 TranzIt Universal Bluetooth Enabled FM Transmitter Car Kit for Android Devices, Blue: Electronics

Last edited by smilinsteve; 01-22-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:28 PM
Moultese
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by smilinsteve
No. They offered the Premium non-nav system with hands free Bluetooth calling but not music streaming. There is no reason for them to not enable music streaming, other than to force you to buy the nav system.

Other annoying things about the audio system are that the head unit is not replaceable, it has no accessory jacks in back for adding components like Bluetooth, equalizer, etc, Only has basic bass and treble adjustment for a premium Bose system, has no aux jack, etc.
Other than that, its great
No AUX jack is my biggest complaint about the audio system. I don't mind connecting via Bluetooth, but it's much easier and quicker to just plug an AUX cable in.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:46 PM
smilinsteve
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Moultese
No AUX jack is my biggest complaint about the audio system. I don't mind connecting via Bluetooth, but it's much easier and quicker to just plug an AUX cable in.
Yeah its such a simple, cheap and handy thing, it should come with every car radio.

I rarely use my phone for music because I set myself up with the following:

1. Satellite radio - Sure it costs, but so many options and simple and no commercials on the music channels.

2. Dedicated Ipod touch - Better sound quality than Satellite, built in equalizer, 64 GB of storage, Great user interface with steering wheel control.

3. NAXA Bluetooth adapter - If I ever want to use my android phone to stream Pandora, youtube or have a friend in the car who wants to play something of her phone. It works well enough, but I hardly ever use it. If it was my primary way of listening to music, I would probably want something better.

Quick Reply: How can I play music from my phone in the car?