Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Help Terrifying sound quality

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 09:14 PM
Slayerg37

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Terrifying sound quality

Hey guys, I've been searching and searching so I hope I'm not double posting. (My 2nd post anyway ). Anyways I have a G37 Sedan 2010 with Bose. With the iPhone 5S or any other phone and quality sounds amazing. As it shoulds. But with FM radio or radio at all that quality is terrible. Like blown speakers or just bad signal. I think its the antenna or something. Any ideas or tips or result ion? Has anybody had this problem?
Old 01-15-2015, 03:10 PM
Slayerg37

bump. Anyone?
Old 01-17-2015, 08:15 PM
South3rn

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Well, it cannot be bad speakers. They don't know the source you are using. So if they are good w/ the phone, they will be good w/ the FM.

So the problem is probably with the Radio Tuner or the antenna.
The newer G37s have the antenna in the windshield I think, but am not sure. The older G35s had the antenna in the rear glass.

If the antenna is in the windshield and the windshield has been replaced ....that could be a problem.
Or somebody pulled the radio and didn't plug the antenna back in?
Old 01-18-2015, 02:55 AM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Slayerg37
Hey guys, I've been searching and searching so I hope I'm not double posting. (My 2nd post anyway ). Anyways I have a G37 Sedan 2010 with Bose. With the iPhone 5S or any other phone and quality sounds amazing. As it shoulds. But with FM radio or radio at all that quality is terrible. Like blown speakers or just bad signal. I think its the antenna or something. Any ideas or tips or result ion? Has anybody had this problem?
mines is 2010 bose. yup, cd, usb, music box are like night & day compared to radio & XM. doesn't sound as good as the music box, cd, usb. i am trialing XM & my gosh, it is worst than am/fm in terms of antenna signal, keep loosing signal on XM

not complaining at all coming from 2003 g35. the 2010 rocks much harder & better.

so i would say in conclusion..it is the antenna signal that may be making the radio weaker
Old 01-19-2015, 12:54 AM
Slayerg37

Definitely not speakers since they sound perfect with phone. My antenna is on the roof I believe. Close to the rear windshield (2010 g37). Anything that has to do with signal its just terrible

I'm looking for a fix other than the dealership. You guys have any tips? Drives me crazy
Old 01-20-2015, 06:46 PM
wild_pea

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i atotally aggree i have a 2009 coupe with bose and when i have xm on it's like but then when i use my aux line and with only half the volume on the headunit up its totally rocks the house the radio with xm on sounds terrible tho i wish i knew a fix to this as well...
Old 01-27-2015, 10:44 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Definitely not speakers since they sound perfect with phone. My antenna is on the roof I believe. Close to the rear windshield (2010 g37). Anything that has to do with signal its just terrible

I'm looking for a fix other than the dealership. You guys have any tips? Drives me crazy
The shark fin antenna should just be for the XM Sirius. You ever see a car with a shark fin, and an 8" antenna sticking out of it? The longer antenna is for radio. I don't think a radio antenna can successfully be crammed into one if those shark fins.

Typically, manufactures will integrate them into the rear windshield, and you can sometimes see the antenna running alongside the defrost stripes.

I'm not sure what Infiniti did, but I'll try to remember to take a close look at my rear glass when I get a chance.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:29 AM
smilinsteve
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Radio and XM definitely have inferior sound compared to the USB input. I also have a 2010 Bose, no nav.

But, it's definitely not so bad that it sounds like blown speakers. It sounds like the problem is an antenna disconnect.

Can you play the XM preview channel? Does it sound as bad as FM?
Old 01-27-2015, 11:40 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,073 Posts
Sounds to me like there may be something wrong with the antenna amp. The radio antenna, at least for my '08 Bose (no NAV) is laminated into the back glass. From there it's fed to antenna amp which then goes to the radio. I'd check to make sure all the connections are good and go from there.

As for the SAT radio- I live in the country and the smallest pine tree would knock out my signal. I had horrible reception issues with XM/Sirius and discontinued service. I remember somewhere on the forum that someone installed a cheap SAT radio antenna from Amazon and loved it. If you're going to keep subscribing to SAT radio you may want to look into that solution.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:34 PM
Slayerg37

Well is XM and FM same antenna? I don't use XM.But FM for me it's terrible
Old 01-27-2015, 03:23 PM
smilinsteve
Registered Member

Well is XM and FM same antenna? I don't use XM.But FM for me it's terrible
Different antennas. Try the XM preview channel 1.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:14 AM
Slayerg37

Originally Posted by smilinsteve
Different antennas. Try the XM preview channel 1.
The XM channel 1 preview actually has great reception and sound how it should
Old 01-28-2015, 06:29 PM
smilinsteve
Registered Member

The XM channel 1 preview actually has great reception and sound how it should
If you don't want a pro to look at it then you will have to start digging into your wiring. I think your antenna amp is behind the lining on the roof of your trunk. Get a wiring diagram and some schematics and see if you can find a loose connection. You can also have a spare antenna handy and see if connecting to the amp will improve the sound. It could also be that the FM amp isn't turning on.
Of course, the wires in the back go up to the head unit, and the problem could be a loose connection up front also.

Or, you can take it to a stereo place. If you wanted to do some upgrades anyway, they would probably find the antenna problem for cheap or free while they were in there. So, I recommend you add a subwoofer to your system, and have them work on the FM while they have it all torn apart anyway.

You could also add a Grom box or something to give you bluetooth streaming or aux in connection.

Good luck.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:55 PM
Slayerg37

Originally Posted by smilinsteve
If you don't want a pro to look at it then you will have to start digging into your wiring. I think your antenna amp is behind the lining on the roof of your trunk. Get a wiring diagram and some schematics and see if you can find a loose connection. You can also have a spare antenna handy and see if connecting to the amp will improve the sound. It could also be that the FM amp isn't turning on.
Of course, the wires in the back go up to the head unit, and the problem could be a loose connection up front also.

Or, you can take it to a stereo place. If you wanted to do some upgrades anyway, they would probably find the antenna problem for cheap or free while they were in there. So, I recommend you add a subwoofer to your system, and have them work on the FM while they have it all torn apart anyway.

You could also add a Grom box or something to give you bluetooth streaming or aux in connection.

Good luck.
Thank you for your advice! I'll probably just take it to a pro and see what they find.