Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Key fob & windows

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 03:05 PM
CoolBreeze
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Key fob & windows

For those of you who are worried that you may inadvertently may hit the key fob unlock button long enough while you are walking away from you car or when stooping down to pick up that $50 bill blowing across the parking lot, thus your windows roll down without you realizing it – this function can be programmed out by the dealer.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:10 PM
inyquest
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Are there any other functions that can be programmed out by the dealer?
Old 01-02-2015, 10:52 AM
JT2014

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
I tried that....1st they said they don't do custom car programming, only if there is a problem will they hook it up to the scanner. Then after I bitched they said ok if I would pay the $110/hour labor rate!
Old 01-02-2015, 12:42 PM
CoolBreeze
Registered Member

There seems to be a plethora of items which was on the tech’s Consult screen which could be programmed. In looking at the BCM section in the service manual, many items were listed in there also.

I wanted the dealer to program out the manual key being able to roll down the windows, along with being able to do it with the key fob. There were able to do the key fob portion and they thought they could figure out how to negate the manual key, but to no avail. They are looking into it.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:54 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,073 Posts
Sounds like your stealership is trying to screw you royally- $110./hr. to change a software setting? Mine never gave me a problem or a charge when I changed lighting settings. Took the kid 5 minutes at most.

Anyway, from checking the FSM- sections DLK, BCS, and PWC, there is no CONSULT-III setting that I could see that would disable the auto-down feature when using the MANUAL key. The only way would be to disable the key cylinder switch located in the door handle. Unless you're in the habit of leaving the key turned in the cylinder and thus initiating the auto-down sequence, disabling the switch would probably not be worth the effort.

The switch gets wired directly to the driver side power window control switch assembly. You could probably trace the wires and cut them- if this really is something you want disabled. For a while there was a issue where thieves would be using screwdrivers to "jimmy" the switch and open the windows. Aside from a security/theft point-of-view I wouldn't be bothered. I've never used the metal key since the day the salesman pointed out I had one.

Hope this helps and good luck.
The following users liked this post:
CRiME (01-08-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 01:36 PM
CoolBreeze
Registered Member

Thank you for the info ILM. Yes, I was looking to disable the function to prevent the lock being screwdrivered. Cutting a wire or removing it from a terminal is an option, but I am not enamored about pulling off the door panel to do it.

I do periodically use the manual key to unlock the door, to keep the mechanical lock mechanism “loose”, which was recommended by a service tech. I had another vehicle where I did not use the manual key, and when I needed to use it, the lock mechanism was gummed up.

As I mentioned in another post, I did have a car battery once completely die. Thus, I want another means to get into the car.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:52 PM
JT2014

I put JB Weld on my lock, then covered it with the delete cover....I really don't care if I ever needed to use the cylinder. I never had to in 15 years on any car.
I guess I could drill it chisel it off "if" I had too.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:47 PM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by JT2014
I put JB Weld on my lock, then covered it with the delete cover....I really don't care if I ever needed to use the cylinder. I never had to in 15 years on any car.
I guess I could drill it chisel it off "if" I had too.
For any other passerby thinking this is a good idea, I would highly advise against it.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:01 PM
CRiME
Premier Member

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
The only way would be to disable the key cylinder switch located in the door handle. Unless you're in the habit of leaving the key turned in the cylinder and thus initiating the auto-down sequence, disabling the switch would probably not be worth the effort.

The switch gets wired directly to the driver side power window control switch assembly. You could probably trace the wires and cut them- if this really is something you want disabled. For a while there was a issue where thieves would be using screwdrivers to "jimmy" the switch and open the windows. Aside from a security/theft point-of-view I wouldn't be bothered. I've never used the metal key since the day the salesman pointed out I had one.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Thanks, ILM. I had a Maxima that was broken into (I only had the factory security system at the time) and it appeared that this method that was used. I'll do some more research on this switch.

Originally Posted by SwissCheeseHead
For any other passerby thinking this is a good idea, I would highly advise against it.
Agreed. Besides, if they really wanted to, a thief could chip away the JB weld just as you could.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:59 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,073 Posts
Disabling the key cylinder switch does not affect the actual metal key or cylinder itself. Therefore you would have no problems using the key once you disabled the switch.

Also, removing the door panel is not as complicated as it seems. I have removed mine on a few occasions with various projects I've done and/or am researching.

I checked the FSM for my '08, section PWC, pages 57 and 59. There are two wires going from the cylinder switch to pins 6 & 7 at the power window main switch harness in the driver door panel. You should be able to access the wires at the window switch rather than disassembling the whole door to get to the cylinder switch itself.

***Be sure to check the FSM for your year***

Hope this helps.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 01-08-2015 at 07:07 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ILM-NC G37S:
CoolBreeze (01-09-2015), CRiME (01-08-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 08:05 AM
JT2014

Originally Posted by SwissCheeseHead
It works for me...I see A LOT of other DUMB stuff people on here do to their cars.....
Yes a thief could chip it away but that takes time. A thief that is looking for this type of quick break in isn't going to deal with that when he can move to another target.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:37 AM
CRiME
Premier Member

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by JT2014
It works for me...I see A LOT of other DUMB stuff people on here do to their cars.....
Yes a thief could chip it away but that takes time. A thief that is looking for this type of quick break in isn't going to deal with that when he can move to another target.
Well, once he's popped off your plate, he's already committed. And he has to force the lock anyway, so he has his tools and is prepared for some manual labor.... Bottom line is, if they want your car or something in it, they'll do whatever they can to get it. For example, in my old car they broke in with this method. Once inside, they actually removed my center console the correct way and took the time to UN CLIP all of my factory harnesses rather than cutting them and running. I guess I got lucky in that I had a considerate theif

Hopefully this never happens to you. If they do target you, though, I hope that your deterrent can slow him down enough for him to get caught--->