Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

2011 G37x Sedan Sound Deadening

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 09:35 PM
fengyink

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 G37x Sedan Sound Deadening

Disclaimer: This post describes a procedure that might cause finger cut, bleeding, damage to vehicle, serious injury or death, and more serious financial loss. The author is not responsible for any consequence of reader's action.

Never thought I would do something on audio but it happened in the 2014. Mainly refer to factory service manual with my own working procedure. Apologies for no pictures - please refer to fsm at nicoclub.

Ingredient: 30-36 sqft of your favorite brand of sound deadener, at your price. Cost can very from 50 to 200 bucks.

Tools:
ratchet, 2” extension, 10mm socket, plastic prying tools, steel scissors, roller

Optional: electric driver, needle plier

Doors front first (hardest):
1 Position your car so that doors can fully open
2 Pry the door handle box and take it out using needle plier, remove the screw inside (10mm)
3 Pry the top edge of the arm rest (window switch), take it out, disconnect wires. remove the two screws inside (10mm).
3. Pry out the step light (clips on sides), disconnect wire.
4 Pry door panel through the edge, disconnect mid range and lock operator. Disconnect door lock cable.
5. Disconnect woofer cable, unscrew the five chrome screws on the outer bracket of the woofer. Take out the woofer unit.
6. Remove the black screws on the outer edge of insider door metal seal. Loose them use ratchet first. Do not remove the 4 chrome screws that fixes the window opener cable rails.
7. Press start button twice (without pedal brake) raise window so that windows bolts exposes, unscrew them, and raise window. Keep window in top position and lower bracket back to original position.
8. Take out the inside metal seal insert (glued on, use pry tool).
Clean inside, deadening in 3 major section with large strips - use roller and gloves.
9. Keep window on top, and re-install the metal seal, land window onto the bracket and fasten the screws.
10. Deadening the inside, install the woofer and fasten.
11. Connect cables and put on the door panel. Punch every plug into the holes.
12. Connect armrest connectors and install. Connect step light and mount. Put on the handle bracket.

Rear doors:
Similar to front doors except:
No need to operate windows - keep them fully closed
Remove the plastic completed, use the big opens to deaden the outer, and then use deadener to cover those big opens.

Trunk:
I decided not to touch the lid - that makes them too heaver.
1. Remove the plastic clips and remove the side liner, remove everything in the spare wheel well, clean it with vacuum and damp cloth.
2. You will find it's very expensive the damp entire region. You will see some locations with "band-aid sized" deadener by Infiniti. Cover those regions use large pieces (as much as possible). Deaden the rest use sparse strips with half coverage (e.g., wheel well).
3. Put liner back. I did this first and identified then effectively reduced exhaust noise (from the rear) volume without changing the low tone. I am on Tanabe Medallion.

Hood:
Do NOT skip hood. After install above, I found the noise came concentratively from the upper front of engine.
1. Remove the liner clips using pryer tools - insert and give a sharp tuck - most of them would come out reusable. Remove liner
2. Deaden entire region under liner - use large piece as you can handle and stick them (bend) with little bubble.
3. Reinstall liner.

You can think of replacing woofer speaker unit during the procedure - I did not.

After the procedure, the whole cabin become quite - similar to Lexus but drive like infiniti. The speaker needs lower volume to hear details (same speakers!). The tone of engine and exhaust remains low. If you want to hear the volume, open your windows - that's a big surprise.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:25 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
I've been installing car audio for about 14 years and the G37 is actually pretty quite on the inside. I used very little dampening through out the entire car.

I did apply damping to the trunk lid and it made a decent change in trunk rattle.

The majority of trunk rattle in this car comes from the rear deck. Foam or even cotton will help with the rear deck rattle.

The thing about sound dampening is that most people will cover their entire car with it. When actually you need very little.
The following users liked this post:
m3clubracer (08-29-2015)
Old 01-01-2015, 03:17 PM
jwhitakr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice write up. I put sound dampening in my old car, but haven't done any yet with this car since I have been happy with the sound level in my G37x.

How much time did this take you? Sounds like it was pretty effort intensive.