Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Some Questions About Remote Start.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 06:50 AM
JohnnyLau

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Some Questions About Remote Start.

Hi guys , I just installed a remote start on my 2012 g37xS. There is a problem really annoying, everytime I start the car remotely and when i open the door, the engine just shut off, which means i need to start it again, this really sucks. Does anybody know how to turn off this"shut off door opened"?i just wanna open the door and driving off.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:16 PM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Received 395 Likes on 238 Posts
You wired it wrong, that's all I got. It should only turn off if you try to put the car in drive without "turning the car on". How those starters work is that they bypass normal ignition sequences to warm the engine but you have to get in and run the starting process in order to drive. So somewhere you wired it incorrectly for it to shut down when you open the door. Retrace your wiring
Old 12-11-2014, 02:56 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
what evil said there should be a take over feature. the only brand that I know will turn off when you open the door is Toyota.

I had a remote start installed and I specifically asked to make sure this doesn't happen
Old 12-11-2014, 05:54 PM
ai3j50

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyLau
Hi guys , I just installed a remote start on my 2012 g37xS. There is a problem really annoying, everytime I start the car remotely and when i open the door, the engine just shut off, which means i need to start it again, this really sucks. Does anybody know how to turn off this"shut off door opened"?i just wanna open the door and driving off.
Make sure your car is armed before you walk up. I have noticed on occasion that if I remote start my car when it is UNLOCKED it will shut off as I walk up. Never have a problem if I disarm the alarm before getting in.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:46 PM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by ChinkyChoy
the only brand that I know will turn off when you open the door is Toyota.
And Volvo. It's a safety feature. There might not be anything wrong with his install.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:24 PM
JohnnyLau

Yeah,I know, the stupid dealer broke my last remote when they repair the car, and they add this new one. They spent a whole week to install this and only one button on the remote works, which means I can only warm-up the car, no lock, no unlock and no release trunk, really sucks.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:30 PM
JohnnyLau

Originally Posted by evil-G-nius
You wired it wrong, that's all I got. It should only turn off if you try to put the car in drive without "turning the car on". How those starters work is that they bypass normal ignition sequences to warm the engine but you have to get in and run the starting process in order to drive. So somewhere you wired it incorrectly for it to shut down when you open the door. Retrace your wiring
I tried remote start in the car, but it still shut off when I step on the break,I really don't need this safe feature, especially only one button works.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:26 PM
ayarj12
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had an aftermarket installed on my G as well and mine turns off whenever I hit the brakes after I get in. The car will stay on when I open the door, but shuts off when I push the brakes. Kinda stupid...defeats the purpose of remote start. I didn't know that would happen until after the install. The shop said it was a feature of the part. I read the descriptions in the manual and there it was, "Vehicle will shut off after brakes are depressed" Apparently its some safety feature... . Pretty annoying, I just stopped using it after a while.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:34 PM
domzook

what remote start brand did you use? the one I would go with is Fortin. best one out there
Old 12-13-2014, 12:37 PM
Temptones1
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I am told that with a PUSH BUTTON starter , one must restart the car before driving....It will work to start but why would you wanna waste gas like that?
Old 12-13-2014, 02:52 PM
Jestered
Premier Member

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Temptones1
I am told that with a PUSH BUTTON starter , one must restart the car before driving....It will work to start but why would you wanna waste gas like that?
That's not true. If that's the case, it's one of two things:

*You purchased a poorly designed remote starter.
*It was not installed correctly.

I did not want another remote fob, so I bought and installed the DBALL remote start unit. It works with the factory Infiniti key fob (hit lock 3 times to start the car) and all I have to do is step on the brake to take over the car. Once it starts, I step on the brake and off I go. I don't have to restart the car, or even hit the push-to-start button.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:09 PM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyLau
I tried remote start in the car, but it still shut off when I step on the break,I really don't need this safe feature, especially only one button works.
You didn't mention if you went trough the starting sequence though. Again if you start the car and hit the brake before going through the ignition process (pushing the start button) it will shut off. That is what its supposed to do. Now if you start it, go through the starting motions, and it still shuts off then its the alarm or installation failure.

Originally Posted by Jestered
That's not true. If that's the case, it's one of two things:

*You purchased a poorly designed remote starter.
*It was not installed correctly.

I did not want another remote fob, so I bought and installed the DBALL remote start unit. It works with the factory Infiniti key fob (hit lock 3 times to start the car) and all I have to do is step on the brake to take over the car. Once it starts, I step on the brake and off I go. I don't have to restart the car, or even hit the push-to-start button.
^^^this sounds like it was installed improperly too. If you can start it and just put it in gear it seems to defeat the purpose. The whole point of the remote start shutting off if you hit the brake is so god forbid someone jumps in the car before you and tries to drive off, when they hit the brake to put it in gear the car will shut down. I am not sure how the auto works for starting ...do you have to step on the brake to start it or can you just hit the button? I have a 6spd so I have to clutch it when I hit the button
Old 12-15-2014, 08:47 AM
Jestered
Premier Member

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by evil-G-nius
^^^this sounds like it was installed improperly too. If you can start it and just put it in gear it seems to defeat the purpose. The whole point of the remote start shutting off if you hit the brake is so god forbid someone jumps in the car before you and tries to drive off, when they hit the brake to put it in gear the car will shut down. I am not sure how the auto works for starting ...do you have to step on the brake to start it or can you just hit the button? I have a 6spd so I have to clutch it when I hit the button
Nope. The DBALL was installed properly and works exactly like the manual says it should. You do NOT have to press the PTS button and only have to step on the brake to take over the car and drive. You have to hit the Lock button on the Inifiniti fob when starting the car, which means the car is locked while it's running. No way for anyone to get in the car without having a key to unlock it. Also, it's been a few months since I've installed it, but I'm pretty sure that even if you unlock the car while it's running, and you get in the car without the key, it will shut off when you hit the brake. I'll have to check that to confirm, but I don't ever unlock the car until I walk up to it and press the button on the door handle, so I always have the key on me.

With that being said, Directed removed the factory fob remote start with the latest firmware update for the DBALL and DBALL2 units. You have to purchase a new unit/model to get the factory fob remote start now. I just checked the manual for the new model and you have to hit the brake and press the PTS button to take over the car, but that's not how it was designed with the DBALL2, which is what I have, and I prefer the way mine works with the older firmware that supported the factory fob remote start.

Yeah, the normal way to start an AT you have to step on the brake and hit the PTS button. Otherwise it will just put the car into ACC mode without starting it, which I'm assuming is the same way your 6MT works if you hit the PTS button without the clutch.

Last edited by Jestered; 12-15-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:00 PM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

^^^Ok cool. Yeah it seemed counter intuitive but its cool it works. My 6mt does need the clutch to start...it goes to acc if not