Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

navigation update

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 09:17 PM
Amrit.bhathal
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
navigation update

I know this has been talked about a lot, but is there anyway or a time when the updates go on sale? I also heard there was a problem with the 2015 keys. I have a 2008 coupe an apparently I have to go to the dealer to the update but the dealer said there's a way I could do it? The lady I talked to seemed clueless but is it true? If anyone could give me some insight that would be awesome, and if you are gonna post sarcastic comments, just don't. It's not funny just proves you are a sarcastic *****
Old 11-10-2014, 04:42 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
The only thing the map company is offering now is free shipping. They will probably have sales sometime closer to Christmas, if imagine.

I have a 2010 sedan. Just updated my nav with no issues. The code they gave me worked just fine. You can do it yourself. Keep in mind you have to keep your car running through the whole process which can take 1.5-2 hours. I left my car running in my garage with the door opened about half way. Depending on your neighborhood, this may or may not be ok to do.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:38 AM
Jestered
Premier Member

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
If you have a hard drive based system, which is what I have in my '08 coupe, you cannot do the update yourself and must have the dealer do it. It's not a disk-based update like the non-hard drive systems, so the dealer has to do it and you'll pay for that above what you have to pay for the map update. You'll basically get a code when buying the map update, then will have to take that code to the dealer.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:23 PM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by efuseakay
The only thing the map company is offering now is free shipping. They will probably have sales sometime closer to Christmas, if imagine.

I have a 2010 sedan. Just updated my nav with no issues. The code they gave me worked just fine. You can do it yourself. Keep in mind you have to keep your car running through the whole process which can take 1.5-2 hours. I left my car running in my garage with the door opened about half way. Depending on your neighborhood, this may or may not be ok to do.
I supposed keeping the engine running is to prevent the battery from draining. So do you think I can just use one of those battery maintainers during the update, instead of having the engine running the whole time?
Old 11-11-2014, 11:21 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by antirice
I supposed keeping the engine running is to prevent the battery from draining. So do you think I can just use one of those battery maintainers during the update, instead of having the engine running the whole time?
I'd just keep the engine running like they say
Old 11-15-2014, 12:31 PM
Trooper Orange

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't tried this myself, but have read you can do it. The only point in keeping the car running is to ensure the battery doesn't run low during the update which can take up to an hour and a half.

The ignition state can't change, basically it must maintain power for the entire duration of the update with no interruptions.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:32 PM
Trooper Orange

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jestered
If you have a hard drive based system, which is what I have in my '08 coupe, you cannot do the update yourself and must have the dealer do it. It's not a disk-based update like the non-hard drive systems, so the dealer has to do it and you'll pay for that above what you have to pay for the map update. You'll basically get a code when buying the map update, then will have to take that code to the dealer.
I wonder what the deal is with this. The early HDD model require a dealer install, the later ones like my 2010 is HDD, but you can upgrade it at home just using the DVD drive.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:09 PM
c212

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Amrit.bhathal
I know this has been talked about a lot, but is there anyway or a time when the updates go on sale? I also heard there was a problem with the 2015 keys. I have a 2008 coupe an apparently I have to go to the dealer to the update but the dealer said there's a way I could do it? The lady I talked to seemed clueless but is it true? If anyone could give me some insight that would be awesome, and if you are gonna post sarcastic comments, just don't. It's not funny just proves you are a sarcastic *****
There is a problem with some of the 2015 keys. Mine didn't work in my 2011 xS coupe and they told me they were having issues with the x9 updates. They sent me a new code that worked fine, but then called 3 days later and told me that what I received wasn't actually the 2015 update. I told them it says 2015 on the box, on the discs, and in the manual. They didn't have any sort of response aside from telling me that it was "strange" and asked me if I wanted to send it back. I haven't decided if it's worth the bother.

Installing the update itself is indeed time consuming, but you can drive your car while the update is going on and you can also turn your car off between discs. I would just pop one in every time I was going to be driving somewhere for 20-30 minutes. My nav unit is way more responsive now, for what it's worth.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:08 AM
Jestered
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Trooper Orange
I wonder what the deal is with this. The early HDD model require a dealer install, the later ones like my 2010 is HDD, but you can upgrade it at home just using the DVD drive.
That's probably key here. I'm fairly certain the in-dash disk player does not read DVD's in the '08, so there's no way to load the maps on a DVD disk in that drive.

I know when I ordered my maps online, once I put in my vehicle info, the website told me that I would NOT be receiving disks because it required dealer install. To see what would happen, I tried a newer model and it told me I would get the code and the disks. So you should be able to tell if you *should* be able to do it yourself if the website says it's going to send you disks with your order/code.

I believe the OP has an '08 coupe like myself, so they're going to have to get the dealer to perform the install.

Last edited by Jestered; 11-18-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:50 AM
G37Xtreme

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by c212

Installing the update itself is indeed time consuming, but you can drive your car while the update is going on and you can also turn your car off between discs. I would just pop one in every time I was going to be driving somewhere for 20-30 minutes. My nav unit is way more responsive now, for what it's worth.
You're referring to the 2015 X9 current update? I'd just load one disk on my way to work, then another on the way home, and have it done mid-week. You're absolutely certain about this right?
Old 11-20-2014, 09:21 PM
c212

Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
You're referring to the 2015 X9 current update? I'd just load one disk on my way to work, then another on the way home, and have it done mid-week. You're absolutely certain about this right?
Yep, that's how I did it. Take a look at page 4 in the maps manual. It states that you can turn the engine off after each disc is finished.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:45 PM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by c212
Yep, that's how I did it. Take a look at page 4 in the maps manual. It states that you can turn the engine off after each disc is finished.
Will I still be able to use the old navigation in the middle of the update?
Old 11-22-2014, 07:29 PM
c212

Will I still be able to use the old navigation in the middle of the update?
No, the nav unit screen will either show the % to completion or insert next disc message until you're through all of the discs.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:11 AM
1bigbyte

How much gas is wasted?? I am stumped by this requirement and just posted a question regarding download time. I'm wondering if there's a faster way doing this other than taking a trip out of town and coming back for this.. Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 11-24-2014, 06:50 PM
Jestered
Premier Member

Originally Posted by 1bigbyte
How much gas is wasted?? I am stumped by this requirement and just posted a question regarding download time. I'm wondering if there's a faster way doing this other than taking a trip out of town and coming back for this.. Any ideas? Thanks!
There's nothing odd or unexpected about Infiniti saying to keep the car running while the update is in progress. The reason is they want to make sure that there isn't a cut in power during the update. If the head-unit loses power and the update is terminated unexpectedly, it could cause the whole system to become bricked. There must be continuous power through the process.

With that being said, as others have mentioned, you should be able to do this without the car actually running, but you should put a charger on the battery while doing this. If not, you're running the risk of running your battery down and losing power in the middle of the update.

The important thing here is to make sure that you never have an unexpected power loss while you're doing this. So, you can either keep the car running and sitting there, drive the car somewhere, or put a charger on your battery and do it all on battery power (not running). I don't know of anyone who's actually done it the battery charger way, so do at your own risk. I can't see why there would be a problem though.

Quick Reply: navigation update