Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

To Cleansweep or NOT to Cleansweep...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 03:23 PM
DravenG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Cleansweep or NOT to Cleansweep...

Hi guys, I'm having a hell of a time with the stereo upgrade I put on my G37XS with Bose package. My shop installed a JL 1000W amp with C2 speaker package (not very good) and two 10" Subs. They bypassed the Bose amp completely and ran the tapped signal through the JL amp, but the end result is sound quality that.....quite frankly.....sounds exactly like the Bose audio system, just louder. I'm seeing 50/50 when it comes to a Cleansweep solution. Another shop recommended Line Converters for the Mids, Highs and Lows (3 separate converters totalling $500). I'm stuck, and I have no idea what to do. I've also been told that the sound should be tapped AFTER it passes through the Bose amplifier, and BEFORE it hits the JL amp. Any help here would be appreciated. The system ran me $2000, and I don't mind putting more money into it, but I need to know what the solution is here. To Cleansweep....or NOT to Cleansweep?
Old 08-11-2014, 08:02 PM
John B

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I didn't go through with it but was checked into it and I consider myself an audiophile. You need some type of clean sweep. All an amps job is to amplify the low level sound. If you put garbage in you get garbage out that's why in a lot of cars changing the head unit is the first step. Same goes for you but you can't replace the head unit so you have to find a way to clean up the sound, hence the clean sweep.
I didn't upgrade mine because I was told its gonna be about $3-4k to get better than the stock Bose.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:04 PM
John B

I've also read somewhere on the forums and been told that a clean sweep alone would do wonders for our car.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:46 PM
DravenG37

Hey John, just in case you're wondering, I contacted JL tech support today and told them about the make/model of my car, and what I threw into it. They said my guy made 2 mistakes. First, he bypassed the Bose amp completely and ran the tapped signal straight into the JL amp, which is a big no/no. It's why my sound quality sucks, and I'm getting a nasty low-volume hiss (kind of like a power line) when my stereo is off. Then he said the G37 definitely needs a Clean Sweep due to the way the factory head unit processes its sound. So basically it's Bose HU > Bose Amp > CleanSweep > JL Amplifier. I'm going to have the shop fix these two big errors, and then I'll let you know how much difference it makes, but JL absolutely insists on a CleanSweep while running through the Bose amp FIRST, to guarantee great sound. I'll confirm yay or nay in a day or two.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:19 AM
colin.ssc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I did my car audio up, I just did the standard amps + speakers + subs...we did it by taking the signals right out of the headunit. It was louder as you have pointed out but sounds crap. I then opted to use BitTen to clean the signals out as the headunit was EQ'd specifically for the Bose amp and speakers...really dirty signals too.

What we found then was that the rear and sub signals were under-powered. We decided then to use just the front signals and split it to all 4 and subs...sounds much better and louder now but it is using less than 50% of what the system I have can do. Pretty disappointing.

Not too sure about running it after the Bose amp...but if you get somewhere with that let us know
Old 08-12-2014, 02:33 AM
John B

Best of luck! Post pics of the install if possible. I'm definitely interested.

Originally Posted by DravenG37
Hey John, just in case you're wondering, I contacted JL tech support today and told them about the make/model of my car, and what I threw into it. They said my guy made 2 mistakes. First, he bypassed the Bose amp completely and ran the tapped signal straight into the JL amp, which is a big no/no. It's why my sound quality sucks, and I'm getting a nasty low-volume hiss (kind of like a power line) when my stereo is off. Then he said the G37 definitely needs a Clean Sweep due to the way the factory head unit processes its sound. So basically it's Bose HU > Bose Amp > CleanSweep > JL Amplifier. I'm going to have the shop fix these two big errors, and then I'll let you know how much difference it makes, but JL absolutely insists on a CleanSweep while running through the Bose amp FIRST, to guarantee great sound. I'll confirm yay or nay in a day or two.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:39 AM
John B

Originally Posted by John B
Best of luck! Post pics of the install if possible. I'm definitely interested.
One other thing which may be an option is some JL amps have a signal processor in them. If it's the same concept and if it's possible to change amps that might be a good alternative http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-amplifiers-hd
Old 08-12-2014, 11:14 AM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
It sounds to me like you want a higher end DSP not just a clean sweep.

Look into audisons bit line, mosconi, or even the Rockford 3 sixty.
These all have tons of processing power and will make you happy.

I run the bit ten d and I love it
Old 08-12-2014, 03:31 PM
DravenG37

Hey blazeplacid, the mosconis were recommended to me by another shop. They wanted 1 for the fronts, 1 for the back, and 1 for the subs. Total was $500 for all three. Is it a better choice than the Cleansweep altogether, you're saying? Also...how much effect do the speakers have on the overall quality? Like right now I've got JL C2s in there, which aren't the best, but I REFUSE to believe that they're the culprit for the washed out, filthy, tinny sound I'm getting (no better than Bose speakers, just louder). Can you confirm or deny? I was recommended a pair of $799 Focal e-way speakers for the front instead of the C2s (or even the C5s). I'm a total bloody newb when it comes to car audio I just want this system to sound at LEAST as good as my 3.8 Genesis' Infinity system, and so far, it's MILES behind.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:41 PM
Lances Infiniti

you need 2 12's. 500 Jl audio watt. some 1000 watt amps don't put out 1000 watts.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:03 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Hey blazeplacid, the mosconis were recommended to me by another shop. They wanted 1 for the fronts, 1 for the back, and 1 for the subs. Total was $500 for all three. Is it a better choice than the Cleansweep altogether, you're saying? Also...how much effect do the speakers have on the overall quality? Like right now I've got JL C2s in there, which aren't the best, but I REFUSE to believe that they're the culprit for the washed out, filthy, tinny sound I'm getting (no better than Bose speakers, just louder). Can you confirm or deny? I was recommended a pair of $799 Focal e-way speakers for the front instead of the C2s (or even the C5s). I'm a total bloody newb when it comes to car audio I just want this system to sound at LEAST as good as my 3.8 Genesis' Infinity system, and so far, it's MILES behind.
A DSP will control all of your audio channels. There is no need to buy more than one unit.

Tunning / time alignment / crossover points are all key parts the way your audio will sound. Install is the biggest priority over equipment.

Deepening on how much you care about sound quality....you may want to apply sound deadeding to the doors. The G37's doors are actually insulated pretty well.

Im assuming you are talking about the JL C2 6 1/2" component speakers. They should provide decent mid bass and nice highs. You can always go high end but I think install and tunning are your issues.

I run a pair of $500 CDT ES Mids and they sound amazing. But they are also sealed in the doors and I have spent hours tunning.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:03 PM
DravenG37

Originally Posted by blazeplacid
A DSP will control all of your audio channels. There is no need to buy more than one unit.

Tunning / time alignment / crossover points are all key parts the way your audio will sound. Install is the biggest priority over equipment.

Deepening on how much you care about sound quality....you may want to apply sound deadeding to the doors. The G37's doors are actually insulated pretty well.

Im assuming you are talking about the JL C2 6 1/2" component speakers. They should provide decent mid bass and nice highs. You can always go high end but I think install and tunning are your issues.

I run a pair of $500 CDT ES Mids and they sound amazing. But they are also sealed in the doors and I have spent hours tunning.
I'm inclined to agree. I don't believe that the C2s are the issue. I mean I'm sure I could go higher quality, but I'm doing process of elimination right now. First things first. So...should I ditch the Mosconis altogether? Or is there 1 particular model that you can point me in the right direction towards? I have been informed of the door deadening, yeah. I'll also look into that. I just need some sharp, clear, pleasant sound! Thanks in advance!
Old 08-12-2014, 09:57 PM
John B

Bit 10 is Audisson Version and Jl has there version. They basically perform the same task and that's to clean up the system and make it easier to expand. So you decide on the brand you're comfortable spending your money.

Combine the clean signal with a good amplifier will open up the C2's you have now. Then decide if it's not enough before you buy more speakers .

You also don't need a ton of power to get a good clean sound because the amp is only amplifying the signal from the head unit.
I'm inclined to agree. I don't believe that the C2s are the issue. I mean I'm sure I could go higher quality, but I'm doing process of elimination right now. First things first. So...should I ditch the Mosconis altogether? Or is there 1 particular model that you can point me in the right direction towards? I have been informed of the door deadening, yeah. I'll also look into that. I just need some sharp, clear, pleasant sound! Thanks in advance!
Old 08-12-2014, 10:03 PM
John B

The clean sweep also has an additional part with a microphone that measures and make corrections much like autocorrection for home theater