Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

XM Radio Reception Fixed - Damn You Infiniti Dealer!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 01:43 PM
HelloNewman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
XM Radio Reception Fixed - Damn You Infiniti Dealer!!!

I've been putting up with awful XM reception for years. Recently it had become unbearable except for my long bridge commute over open water.

So, I got down to researching and figured out that the XM tuner is mounted on the trunk overhead in my 2010 G Sedan and that it has a Pink connector for the antenna in - referred to as a "FAKRA" connection.

Bought this little Audiovox antenna on E-bay for cheap. It has the ready-made FAKRA adapter right on the end of it.

Terk XMicro2 XM Satellite Radio Car Antenna

Guess what? Reception is 10X better with the little puck antenna tossed on my rear shelf behind the headrest. Hardly any signal loss. It's magnetic and I read reception may be best with a steel plate under it. I bought an electric plate for a buck at Lowes and it does seem to make a difference.

I say Damn You Dealer/Stealership!!!!! because I brought it in under warranty a good while ago and they claimed all was up to spec and that I should talk to Sirius XM.

I have to wonder how many faulty antennas have been sold to us Infiniti consumers followed by some bull from the dealer?
The following users liked this post:
cplovero (08-17-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 02:20 PM
blueis300
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
My dealer sucks and replaced the antenna but it didnt solve the issue. They wanted me to let the tech take it home to duplicate? They smoking crack lol. Was going to try and get them to replace the stereo next. Maybe Ill make a print out of all the problems everybody else has and how they resolved it.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:18 AM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
OP- Can you post pics of where in the antenna input is located? Thanks!
Old 07-01-2014, 10:35 PM
HelloNewman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not so easy to post a picture, trunk panels are back in place. But, here's a sample pic from a G35 I think. What you see is a stacked arrangement. The XM unit is sandwiched between some sort of blue tooth phone box and the trunk overhead. Laying in your trunk, you have to reach past the blue tooth box up higher to the square pink connector for the XM antenna. I also used a mini screwdriver to fiddle with the connector to loosen it. It was in a bit tight or maybe had a clip. I just pryed around it where I could. As shown in the picture, imagine the stacked unit flipped over and mounted to the overhead. The round pink female is the plug in.

I also read that some G's have it mounted on the bottom, in the back corner behind the spare.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:56 PM
blueis300
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...reception.html

I was hoping the dealer had an actual fix. Seems like everybody has to fix it themselves.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:56 AM
smilinsteve
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Bumping an old thread.

My XM reception is ok, but cuts out under bridges more frequently and for longer periods than the Sirius radio in my Explorer.

I can live with that. My main complaint with XM is the sound quality, which is not up to par with IPod through the USB. I suppose that's to be expected, but I'm wondering if a better antenna could improve sound quality, and not just reduce the number of lost signal events.

The antenna purchased by the op gets mixed reviews on Crutchfield. Any other options?
I'm also wondering if it would be possible to splice into the antenna wire and have 2 antennas instead of replacing the OEM?
Old 03-21-2015, 10:06 AM
G37sPhoton
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
my 2011sedan was having the same issues for some time, loosing reception under a frggin light pole wire or something so insignificant that i just about gave up and only listened on the highway where there are no obstructions. finally fed up, took the car to dealer and they changed out the antenna , and voila- near perfect reception, it only goes out under bridges now, so that fix worked for me
Old 08-03-2019, 09:04 AM
martik00173
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I did this fix. It worked great. Thanks
Old 08-11-2019, 08:16 PM
bbender4961
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terk Antenna works great!!

Thanks for the tip.

I bought a Terk Antenna and plugged it straight in the receiver in the trunk. I set the antenna back behind the seats near the rear speaker for now and ran the wire through the armrest cradle.

My reception is near perfect now after struggling with poor reception for years in some locations.

This is the link I used:

https://www.xm-radio-satellite.com/t...tom-connector/
Old 10-08-2019, 09:35 AM
Erwin Mehlig

Which one ?

Originally Posted by martik00173
I did this fix. It worked great. Thanks
Which one ? The NEW dealer antenna or the aftermarket antenna?

Thanks
Erwin
Old 10-08-2019, 11:55 AM
martik00173
Registered Member

from ebay Terk XMicro2 XM Satellite Radio Car Antenna
Old 10-08-2019, 11:57 AM
martik00173
Registered Member

Old 10-08-2019, 06:14 PM
Erwin Mehlig

Thumbs up

Perfect !! Thanks !!
Old 10-18-2019, 03:54 PM
Carol Alpiner

I just installed the Terk antenna in my 2012 G37x and got a "check antenna" message.
The included adapter plug sure appears to be properly seated in the radio.
Anyone have a similar experience or fix for this?

UPDATE: Discovered I just had to push a "little" bit harder on the plug. Felt a nice "click," and now all is well. Works great; MUCH better than weakening factory sharkfin.

Last edited by Carol Alpiner; 10-30-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:53 PM
GeezerB
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Carol Alpiner
I just installed the Terk antenna in my 2012 G37x and got a "check antenna" message.
The included adapter plug sure appears to be properly seated in the radio.
Anyone have a similar experience or fix for this?

UPDATE: Discovered I just had to push a "litle" bit harder on the plug. Felt a nice "click," and now all is well. Works great; MUCH better than weakening factory sharkfin.
Where does it plug in? I just bought it & can't figure it out.

Quick Reply: XM Radio Reception Fixed - Damn You Infiniti Dealer!!!