Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Suggestions, Replacing speakers and everything on current system.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 02:41 PM
User 111021
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Suggestions, Replacing speakers and everything on current system.

Hey Guys, so I have a Sony XPLOD system in my car, it's honestly I would say same quality sound if not worse than stock was and I have (2) 10s in the trunk. I realized its not wired correctly so I wanna do a new clean install with all new equipment.

I am not a audio guru but can get you the names of the amps and speakers but I know the speakers are lower end in the rear, don't know much about the amps.

In the rear I have (2) 10s that take up the full trunk along with (2) amps, it was a custom install so I had to lose the spare and everything.

Now I am gonna goto a shop and get it all done so it will have the same quality as OEM but little better if I can since I am spending the money.

I also wanna restore the trunk and but I don't have the original carpet and etc, only have the spare, I do still want some base so at least (1) sub, if not 2 if I can get it to fit.

The stock audio parts in the car is the rear two speakers next to the rear seats by the legs and the front middle speaker that is used for navigation n is the one right above the navigation.

So my question to you guys is, where is best place to find all the trunk parts and what do you suggest if I want midrange sound, not crazy expensive audiophile but a little better than stock but doesn't break my pocket.

I figure if I get the parts and pay the audio guy labor that is better than paying him full price on parts or at least get his pricing but I need to know what I want.

Also where would best place to get original trunk parts be? Or should I leave that to him?

I want it to sound at least like it did OEM if not better and also with a little bump from some Bass. I want it to all work smooth and not have issues with distortion or issues using the stock Bose amp. As I believe the stock Bose amp has a audio control logic in between to power the rest of the system. The audio was never clear and always had a power sound coming through even though system would be totally off, I want a system that is clean n has no distortion.

What parts do you think I should reuse from old system as audio guy said its better to do it all new.

I am also gonna replace my Infiniti battery because I had a battery drain issue and found out it was due to the Radar system I have and Navigation Bypass NAVTEC that was hooked upto a DVD player. I am going to put a new optima yellow top and just wanna get it all rewired.

I am guessing you guys are going to ask budget, but to be honest I don't know what systems costs to be honest. I was thinking $1000 in parts and $1000 in labor, or more in parts and less in labor. Give me a idea, hopefully labor is less but I want him to use new wiring and redo the whole system correctly n also rebuild trunk and rewire the radar and find the reason it is draining power when car is off.

Far as the subs go in trunk, I want at least a little space to fit small items in trunk (before it had literally no space) and also I want to be able to keep spare underneath. When my system was done I got none of the original trunk carpet or etc back.

Also I would be better buying the optima yellow top from Costco or somewhere I'm guessing than having him get it?

I will post some pics of the current trunk setup before I disconnected it and when I get home I can take close up of all the current equipment. I also had a yellow top in the old system mainly because of the battery drain it was installed in rear, but I don't think it was wired correctly and now can barely hold a 1.5-2.5 Volt charge. So it's toast, the front battery is less than a year old and was installed by infiniti as part of a recall due to drained battery issues, it's the Higher CAI from Infiniti M series model.

Thanks for the long read, but better I write it detailed now, than answer questions later, THANKS ALL!
Old 05-05-2014, 02:47 PM
Polar_g37s

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Throw away the Sony explod deck. Those are by far the worst decks made. Get yourself a pioneer or alpine deck. Also don't buy a yellow top they are nothing special. I personally would suggest getting a interstate battery or even a diehard.

Last edited by Polar_g37s; 05-05-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:50 PM
User 111021
Registered Member

I have stock OEM stuff in the front, I didn't wanna take away from the look of the navigation and the buttons so its going through the Bose unit, I didn't know people are even using custom decks, I felt you lose a lot of things.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:55 PM
Polar_g37s

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
For some reason I thought you already had the sony in the car. Nvm than.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:17 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
so you just want a sub or two in the back?
or are you wanting to replace your mids in the doors?

if you buy online you can get some midline mids,sub(s),amp(s) and wiring for $1000.

$1000 for just subs and an amp...you can do alot if you buy online.

$1000 for install sounds really high, unless you are going full fiberglass or something extravagant.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:43 PM
User 111021
Registered Member

ORIGINAL

Notice the inside custom fiberglass work on front speakers BELOW

TORN APART

Old 05-05-2014, 03:46 PM
User 111021
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blazeplacid
so you just want a sub or two in the back?
or are you wanting to replace your mids in the doors?

if you buy online you can get some midline mids,sub(s),amp(s) and wiring for $1000.

$1000 for just subs and an amp...you can do alot if you buy online.

$1000 for install sounds really high, unless you are going full fiberglass or something extravagant.
Don't you need a processor for bypassing Bose amp to aftermarket amp?

How much does it usually cost for labor?

I was saying high because I he has to undo all the wiring that's done.

As of now the tweeters are disconnected, the mids have been replaced with songs tweeters and the speakers have also been replaced in driver and passenger doors. I would love to just put it back to stock for cheap.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:57 AM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
you can add a processor or a simple line out put converter.

Line out put converter + install...probably $100-$200

Processor + install + tune = $500+

Taking everything out isnt to bad on labor.
They maybe able to reuse some of what is there.
It's really hard to tell from pics.