Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

USE what we have to Increase the Bass ?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 12:01 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Kinetic
For the record. In my '12 xCoupe I HAVE 6X9 OR 5X8s in my rear deck NOT 10" subs!!
So either I misread several posts or the schematics are wrong.
I dont know what are in the rear side walls yet other than again what has been posted.
Now I understand why the rear sound SUX... even still a properly boxed and powered 6x9 could produce a good BUMP of lower end...so maybe there is hope.

So until I find an actual "sub" beyond whats in the doors, I may just proceed then as suggested with add a sub.

The coupe trunk is already ridiculously small so adding a sub there is going to be tough...

Anyone hide one in the seat back or drivers side rear seat bottom?

After speaking in depth with Infiniti regarding the low power rear/package tray speakers, I am satisfied with their answer.

They are "FILL" speakers, mostly for surround material. They mean nothing when it comes to music, all comes from the front, and sides.

It makes sense regarding music, why would you have music coming from the extreme rear? You face the band when listening at a concert!!.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:33 AM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Received 395 Likes on 238 Posts
So I am reading all this and I am thinking this sounds like a good idea...

Replace the rear deck with new 6x9's and amp and then add shallow mount subs and new amp for the doors and that should do the trick no?
Old 01-10-2014, 11:30 AM
UncleFunkle
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
IMO the coup sounds better than the sedan. I have never been a fan of Bose and it doesn’t matter the audio medium. From radio, CD's, iPod to bootleg mp3's it cannot beat a properly installed/engineered aftermarket system. Take a look at the Bose theater systems, knock on those cube speakers and tell me what you hear. An echo. That is not what you want. Now knock on the cabinet of any decent speaker and is acoustically dead. If they cant get their bread and butter home theater system right, then how can they do a car correctly. Bose is great at marketing but that is about it. If car audio is that important, then rip out Bose and replace it with quality components and a good signal processor.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:26 AM
YellowJacket

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I was really surprised at the amount of bass that you can actually get out of the Bose system in my coupe. Just listen to Royals at a medium volume and you'll smile.

David
Old 01-12-2014, 11:51 AM
Darth Kinetic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
After speaking in depth with Infiniti regarding the low power rear/package tray speakers, I am satisfied with their answer.

They are "FILL" speakers, mostly for surround material. They mean nothing when it comes to music, all comes from the front, and sides.

It makes sense regarding music, why would you have music coming from the extreme rear? You face the band when listening at a concert!!.
If this were true why are they only "woofer" ranged from the amp?
And principally thats a BS cop-out answer.

The 10s in the doors are not equipped or boxed to be your principle or main sub sound.
So as Evil and I have suggested. New rear 6x9s or better and a new amp to drive them with a more apt cross over range to those Fill speakers. Add a sub if you cannot get those 6x9s to punch the rock bass
Old 01-12-2014, 03:23 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

If this were true why are they only "woofer" ranged from the amp?
And principally thats a BS cop-out answer.

The 10s in the doors are not equipped or boxed to be your principle or main sub sound.
So as Evil and I have suggested. New rear 6x9s or better and a new amp to drive them with a more apt cross over range to those Fill speakers. Add a sub if you cannot get those 6x9s to punch the rock bass
That is not a cop out answer.

Woofer does NOT equate to low end, SUB woofer does, our cars, and most do not have SUB woofers < 100 to 80 Hz.

You need a 15" cone to properly recreate "SUB" low end.

An 80Hz sound wave is 13 feet, 1/2 that distance to actually hear it (6.5 Feet), that why car manufacturers don't put subs in cars.
I remember doing live sound, and Bass players standing in front of their cabinets couldnt hear their guitar, I made them stand at least 10 feet out, then they would hear bass.
Same theory goes for the driver in a car, they cant hear it well, the people on the sidewalk can!!

Look at my name, do you see what I do for a living? Im a freaking recording engineer, with more rock album, and TV credits than most.

I dont put bass in my surrounds when I mix, actually my surrounds are band limited, no highs, no lows, just mid-range fill. The audio to my main mix speakers, are band limited at 80Hz, everything below goes to the "SUB" Woofer.

The car was also meant for surround, put in a DVD, its a multipurpose system.
Thats why their answer makes sense.

The trunk is not equipped nor boxed, as a matter of fact, a car in general is a terrible acoustic environment.

Oh, 6" round speakers are better than 6x9 oval speakers. 6X9 is a car makers cop out to fit a speaker in a package tray!!!
Old 01-12-2014, 03:27 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Lastly, somethings wrong with your system, I was driving this morning, and listening to Metalica's Enter Sandman, I couldn't see out of any of my mirrors they were shaking so bad!!! (Stock Bose SOW)
Old 01-12-2014, 09:05 PM
Darth Kinetic

Perhaps you are right. As my door Subs dont shake my mirrors.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:12 PM
RA081224
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
I totally agree.

Also the interpretation of how much bass people need to have today!!

Listening to "rock" and I mean the rock I mixed back in the day, on my Bose, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that system.

socketz67:

5 9s!!!! Im dating myself for knowing what that means!!
Did you work for Ma Bell??
Sorry man, but even early Hendrix has sufficient fidelity to demand a much higher end audio system than what Bose passes off as high fidelity. Even the first mono recordings of the Beatles sound better on higher end systems. If you can't hear the difference, consider yourself lucky as you won't obligate yourself to spend the $ to upgrade but trust me, better reproduction makes nearly any recording sound better
Old 01-12-2014, 10:39 PM
RA081224
Banned

That is not a cop out answer.

Woofer does NOT equate to low end, SUB woofer does, our cars, and most do not have SUB woofers < 100 to 80 Hz.

You need a 15" cone to properly recreate "SUB" low end.

An 80Hz sound wave is 13 feet, 1/2 that distance to actually hear it (6.5 Feet), that why car manufacturers don't put subs in cars.
I remember doing live sound, and Bass players standing in front of their cabinets couldnt hear their guitar, I made them stand at least 10 feet out, then they would hear bass.
Same theory goes for the driver in a car, they cant hear it well, the people on the sidewalk can!!

Look at my name, do you see what I do for a living? Im a freaking recording engineer, with more rock album, and TV credits than most.

I dont put bass in my surrounds when I mix, actually my surrounds are band limited, no highs, no lows, just mid-range fill. The audio to my main mix speakers, are band limited at 80Hz, everything below goes to the "SUB" Woofer.

The car was also meant for surround, put in a DVD, its a multipurpose system.
Thats why their answer makes sense.

The trunk is not equipped nor boxed, as a matter of fact, a car in general is a terrible acoustic environment.

Oh, 6" round speakers are better than 6x9 oval speakers. 6X9 is a car makers cop out to fit a speaker in a package tray!!!
You could argue the separation between woofer and sub woofer all day long as different people/manufacturers all seem to have a different cutoff. I have a set of Kappa Infinity speakers in my home that are perfectly comfortable reproducing sound down to 30Hz and do so quite easily without any sub woofers whatsoever.

I would also disagree in point that many 12" subs are perfectly adequate to reproduce sound down to the 30Hz level; although they may not agree with your definition of proper depending on the specifics. The Velodyne Digital Drive series comes to mind immediately as one of the finest sub-woofers on the market. Both the 10" and 12" versions have frequency responses down below 20Hz

Certainly inside a smaller automobile, I would agree that the driver would probably not hear the sound at the same level as higher frequencies; at least not without opening the window or sunroof, but that is why most listeners boost the lower freq s up. As for how much bass is enough, that's a personal preference; how to get that to work in a car is where the system designer/installer come into play.

Manufacturers generally do not put subs in cars because of cost. Automobile manufacturers are less interested in fidelity than cost and margin of the product they can control. Even the Mark Levinson systems can be bettered with high end aftermarket accessories

I agree that the automobile is a challenging area to put a high end audio system but it can be done. "Boxing" the trunk area of most any car is easily done with some fiberglass, weatherstripping and bracing. How well its done depends on your budget and engineering capability. Will it be as solid as a B&H home speaker? No; but again, its better than the infinite baffle used in the rear deck.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:51 PM
RA081224
Banned

Lastly, somethings wrong with your system, I was driving this morning, and listening to Metalica's Enter Sandman, I couldn't see out of any of my mirrors they were shaking so bad!!! (Stock Bose SOW)
Actually, I would suggest that you have distortion in your bass. When I listen to that song, I have definite pulses through my mirrors during the bass hits; but the mirrors are quite functional during the periods between the bass. There is not a Bose audio device in the world that is capable of reproducing the audio spectrum with any degree of accuracy
Old 01-12-2014, 10:55 PM
RA081224
Banned

Originally Posted by UncleFunkle
IMO the coup sounds better than the sedan. I have never been a fan of Bose and it doesn’t matter the audio medium. From radio, CD's, iPod to bootleg mp3's it cannot beat a properly installed/engineered aftermarket system. Take a look at the Bose theater systems, knock on those cube speakers and tell me what you hear. An echo. That is not what you want. Now knock on the cabinet of any decent speaker and is acoustically dead. If they cant get their bread and butter home theater system right, then how can they do a car correctly. Bose is great at marketing but that is about it. If car audio is that important, then rip out Bose and replace it with quality components and a good signal processor.
Couldn't have said it better Uncle +1
Old 01-12-2014, 11:01 PM
RA081224
Banned

I am simply confused. After reading no less than 15 threads on How To Add A Subwoofer to our Gs because we all suffer from adequate low end may I ask. ..

If in fact my Coupe had a pair or 10" woofers In the rear deck and its own amp WHY are we adding another woofer??
Has anyone thought to just upgrade that amp or modify the woofers or both rather than adding on?

I mean "its all there" why are we not leveraging whats already there?

Please share
Ultimately, the quality of the amplification and speaker limits what can be done with the system considerably. You can make significant gains by replacing the Bose amp with a higher quality amp. Most owners add a sub because its easier and often cheaper than replacing the guts of the system. Upgrading the amps and the rear 10's in the coup is definitely worth pursuing but will not give you the performance of a dedicated subwoofer. I tried your "leveraging" approach but in the end I could not achieve what I wanted so like most of the other owners here, I ripped it all out and started over.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:16 PM
RA081224
Banned

Originally Posted by socketz67
It's actually interesting to watch the evolution of both voice call and audio quality based on the handset interpretation of both.

Can any of you recall when "5 9s" was mandatory for voice quality calls? Now we accept dropped calls, poor sound quality, cheap audio codecs, no coverage in emergencies, etc.

For Audio, we used to argue over AAD vs. ADD vs. DDD CDs and fidelity based on analog reproduction from vinyl onto quality magnetic tape.

Now, we download bootleg low quality MP3s from eastern European websites then blame the audio systems in our cars.

I guess I'm dating myself, but the evolution of what we have come to accept as status quo interests me, especially the manner in which we have abstracted the complexities from alot of things which used to be reserved for technical types.
Agreed, audio quality is learned rather than implicitly understood. Once someone is educated as to what to listen for, they fully understand why the recording media as well as the storage media are so very important. Unfortunately, once they make that step, its very difficult to go back. Unfortunately, there are a lot of misconceptions in the interpretations of the technical aspects of audio recording and storage.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:43 AM
Darth Kinetic

Originally Posted by Absinthe
Ultimately, the quality of the amplification and speaker limits what can be done with the system considerably. You can make significant gains by replacing the Bose amp with a higher quality amp. Most owners add a sub because its easier and often cheaper than replacing the guts of the system. Upgrading the amps and the rear 10's in the coup is definitely worth pursuing but will not give you the performance of a dedicated subwoofer. I tried your "leveraging" approach but in the end I could not achieve what I wanted so like most of the other owners here, I ripped it all out and started over.
Thankyou for the feed back.
Since my original post we've earned that they are 6x9s in the rear deck that are severely underpowered and inappropriately crossed over.

Quick Reply: USE what we have to Increase the Bass ?!?!