Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Radar detectors are just a tool . . .

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 05:39 PM
hobbs
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Radar detectors are just a tool . . .

they are not much use on a desert highway with no other traffic on the road. I was stopped and on the side of the road before the CHP officer had completed his u-turn to give me my performance award. VERY friendly officer as he only wrote me for 75 in a 65. It could have been much, much worse. First ticket in 20+ years so time to reset and try to go another 25. And he could have cared less about no front plate either.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:09 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by hobbs
they are not much use on a desert highway with no other traffic on the road. I was stopped and on the side of the road before the CHP officer had completed his u-turn to give me my performance award. VERY friendly officer as he only wrote me for 75 in a 65. It could have been much, much worse. First ticket in 20+ years so time to reset and try to go another 25. And he could have cared less about no front plate either.
Sorry to change the subject for a grammar check, but if he could have cared less then he still cared somewhat. If he didn’t care at all then he couldn’t have cared less.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:17 PM
hobbs
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Chekov
Sorry to change the subject for a grammar check, but if he could have cared less then he still cared somewhat. If he didn’t care at all then he couldn’t have cared less.
The dreaded grammar police strike again! At least this will not cost me anything..
Old 11-30-2013, 11:01 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
If your the only car unless it's a blind curve they got you.
Also, may I recommend valentine 1.
No one I know has gotten any speeding tickets.
If it's your 1st ticket in 20 years, law of averages your way ahead of the game.

I average 1 every 5-7 years.
Most of the time I get them dismissed.
Last one was not so lucky.
Any real cop could care less about no front plate ticket, to many was to get it dismissed. So unless they hit ball crushing mode.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:22 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
No radar detector can help you if a police officer is doing instant on.

By the time you see the police its to late.

If he is running constsnt on them your radar will work great.

If you are doing 10mph + over then you are asking for a ticket. You can easily tell if someone is going 80mph vs 60mph. Police can spot people who are heavily speeding
Old 12-01-2013, 01:58 AM
hobbs
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blazeplacid
No radar detector can help you if a police officer is doing instant on.
V1 has saved me many times from instant on; but there has to be other cars in front of you on the road.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:07 AM
blazeplacid

i meant if you are the only car on the road
Old 12-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
2 words i have for you that won't matter if they're using instant on laser....

laser jammer.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:36 PM
blazeplacid

laser jammers are becoming illegal in a lot of areas.

They were legal in Texas until around 2-3 years ago.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:22 AM
Tachyon

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
V1 has saved me many times from instant on; but there has to be other cars in front of you on the road.

How does the V1 work vs instant on? Do you mean that you get an alert as soon as the cop tries to clock you and you slam on the brakes? I'm in the market for either a v1 or the new(ish) passport with the gps feature.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:56 AM
hobbs
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Tachyon
How does the V1 work vs instant on? Do you mean that you get an alert as soon as the cop tries to clock you and you slam on the brakes? I'm in the market for either a v1 or the new(ish) passport with the gps feature.
If you are on the road alone with no traffic ahead of you and instant on is used, it tells you it's time to pull over and get your performance driving award!

If there is other traffic you will get short warnings and then silence that get stronger as you get closer to the source.. Like I said, it's a tool and you have to learn how to use it.

Valentine One Radar Detector Story - Instant On

Valentine One Radar Detector Demo - How V1 Eliminates the Shrug Factor
The following users liked this post:
Tachyon (12-16-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 10:07 AM
Tachyon

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
If you are on the road alone with no traffic ahead of you and instant on is used, it tells you it's time to pull over and get your performance driving award!

If there is other traffic you will get short warnings and then silence that get stronger as you get closer to the source.. Like I said, it's a tool and you have to learn how to use it.

Valentine One Radar Detector Story - Instant On

Valentine One Radar Detector Demo - How V1 Eliminates the Shrug Factor
I see, so your only hope really is that the cop uses instant on on someone ahead of you and your detector picks it up. That makes sense.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:04 PM
*ICE*
Registered Member

Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts
this is a great story that I encounter similarly on my trip to CA from Vegas. The V1 has saved me countless of time in just 1 year alone. 65mph speed limit is way too slow nowadays and no one I've seen on the highway is driving at that speed limit. No one.

Valentine One Radar Detector Story - Moving Radar
Old 12-16-2013, 04:49 PM
MEDUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you haven't had a ticket in 3 years, in most states you can go to court and defer the ticket...means that the offense is dismissed and you're on driving probation for 3 years, if you don't get any moving violations in 3 years you won't have to ever pay the fee for the ticket and it never is reported to your insurance company.

I am in Washington and you can choose this option when you send your ticket in the mail without ever having to go to court, as long as you haven't had any tickets in three years prior and as long as you haven't already asked for a deferral in the past 7 years.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:30 AM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
How is that possible? V1 can't save you from that, hell it hasn't saved me! V1 for me is more for awareness now than to stop me from speeding..aint nobody got time for that

Quick Reply: Radar detectors are just a tool . . .