Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Aftermarket amp with phone??

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Bunzil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket amp with phone??

If I replace the lame Bose amp in the G37 will I have issues with the phone audio in the car? Since the phone appears to use the audio speakers I assume this signal is being routed via the Bose amp. If so, when I replace the Bose, does that mean the new amp needs to be "on" all of the time with the ignition?

Thanks
Old 10-14-2013, 02:59 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
your new amp still still be getting the signal from the head unit

right now, we cant change out our factory head unit.

The mic for phone calls will stay in place.
The bose amps dont have anything to do with the bluetooth setup other than boosting the signal from the radio.

You will be fine.

I have an aftermarket processor and have totally bypassed all the factory wiring.

My phone calls still work fine.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:03 AM
RA081224
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Bunzil
If I replace the lame Bose amp in the G37 will I have issues with the phone audio in the car? Since the phone appears to use the audio speakers I assume this signal is being routed via the Bose amp. If so, when I replace the Bose, does that mean the new amp needs to be "on" all of the time with the ignition?

Thanks
As Blaze already posted, there are no overt issues using an aftermarket amp with your phone hands free system. However, the Bose amps are powered on a few seconds after the touchscreen "boots" so yes, the amps are hot all the time the car is running. Depending on the amps you choose and the amount of equipment you have, you will likely need a slave relay to turn on everything as the signal from the stock head unit will not drive much.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:05 AM
Bunzil

Originally Posted by Absinthe
As Blaze already posted, there are no overt issues using an aftermarket amp with your phone hands free system. However, the Bose amps are powered on a few seconds after the touchscreen "boots" so yes, the amps are hot all the time the car is running. Depending on the amps you choose and the amount of equipment you have, you will likely need a slave relay to turn on everything as the signal from the stock head unit will not drive much.
So in a nutshell, the amplification the phone needs is the amp - regardless whether it's the Bose or aftermarket. Is that correct? That's a bit of a pain, not because it's difficult to do, but I just don't like having stuff turned on when it's not needed.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:44 AM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
if you keep the head unit (which you pretty much have no choice) you should be fine

the mic and speakers are set up to run though the headunit. It doesn't matter about the factory amp being in place.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:39 PM
RA081224
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Bunzil
So in a nutshell, the amplification the phone needs is the amp - regardless whether it's the Bose or aftermarket. Is that correct? That's a bit of a pain, not because it's difficult to do, but I just don't like having stuff turned on when it's not needed.
Unless you have an amp that has a standby mode, your going to have to live with amps that are live all the time. Its the only way you could get quick seamless response from your hands free feature or nav voice.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:03 PM
Bunzil

Originally Posted by Absinthe
Unless you have an amp that has a standby mode, your going to have to live with amps that are live all the time. Its the only way you could get quick seamless response from your hands free feature or nav voice.
Well that makes sense. I understand the signal is being run via the head unit, but something has to power the audio to the speakers when the phone is activated, regardless if the head unit is supposedly off. It sure would have been nice if this car had come with a halfway decent audio system.
Infiniti should be ashamed putting such junk in a car.