Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

XM Satellite Traffic

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 09:41 AM
jco23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM Satellite Traffic

when I got my car back in December 2012, they gave me XM free for 90 days. I thought it was neat, but really did not need it.

Since my free subscription expired, I've been getting e-mails/letters weekly on joining XM. I've ignored all of them.

Then, I started getting phone calls - but this time, they want to give me another free 90 days. So this time, I said "sure".

The difference this time, though, is that now my NAV shows traffic conditions (green for easy flow, red for congestion). I really, really love this!

However, I noticed that the traffic conditions are not shown for all roadways. Just my beltway - I can understand not showing for local side streets, but I would imagine that if they are available for the beltway, they should be available at least for all major highways.

So, curious to see if anyone else is getting "limited" traffic conditions?

This may be a deal breaker for me.

thanks!
Old 10-08-2013, 09:49 AM
YellowJacket

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Correct, only available in the limited areas its supported. Was a dealbreaker for me too. Best bet is a smartphone with the free google maps and traffic updates. Much wider coverage.

Yes, they are quite persistent and annoying with their calls, etc. My wife decided not to renew and they keep calling...even after I asked them to stop. Now they ask for her to try to talk her into it. My reply is "hey buddy, she has a lot more sense than me... not gonna happen."

David
The following users liked this post:
jco23 (10-08-2013)
Old 10-08-2013, 10:43 AM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
they have a special going on all the time

tell them you will join xm for $25. Its a 6 month plan.

**be sure to check your credit card statement around the 5-6th month mark, they will charge you for a full year at full price after 6 months**

I cant remember what the price was for XM traffic but it was way cheaper when you tell them you want XM radio for 6 months @ $25
jco23 (10-08-2013)
Old 10-08-2013, 11:27 AM
jco23

right - I figured that the XM traffic would cost extra...
I already got my smartphone with google maps, so I can use that when needed (maybe 10-15 times per year).
now, if the GPS can navigate based upon current traffic conditions, then that would be something!
Old 10-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
When I first started using the XM traffic feature a few years ago there were fewer major freeways covered than there are today in Southern California. They seem to be adding coverage on a steady but slow pace. So if you stick with it, many of the gaps in your area may eventually be filled in.
jco23 (10-09-2013)
Old 10-08-2013, 12:55 PM
UncleFunkle
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In Vegas, it is just I-15, U.S. 95 and parts of the I-515. No side streets, major blvd's or smaller highways. It is pretty pointless.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:07 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by jco23
when I got my car back in December 2012, they gave me XM free for 90 days. I thought it was neat, but really did not need it.

Since my free subscription expired, I've been getting e-mails/letters weekly on joining XM. I've ignored all of them.

Then, I started getting phone calls - but this time, they want to give me another free 90 days. So this time, I said "sure".

The difference this time, though, is that now my NAV shows traffic conditions (green for easy flow, red for congestion). I really, really love this!

However, I noticed that the traffic conditions are not shown for all roadways. Just my beltway - I can understand not showing for local side streets, but I would imagine that if they are available for the beltway, they should be available at least for all major highways.

So, curious to see if anyone else is getting "limited" traffic conditions?

This may be a deal breaker for me.

thanks!
you don't need to pay for XM Traffic if you get the free download Waze GPS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wazet is a pretty cool AP especially when a voice via bluetooth says

"watch out Police ahead" or "heavy traffic ahead"

Telcoman

I
Old 10-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by UncleFunkle
In Vegas, it is just I-15, U.S. 95 and parts of the I-515. No side streets, major blvd's or smaller highways. It is pretty pointless.
I’m not sure I would want coverage other than major freeways or highways. That many green, red or orange lines would clutter the nav screen so much as to make it unreadable.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:53 PM
UncleFunkle
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Chekov
I’m not sure I would want coverage other than major freeways or highways. That many green, red or orange lines would clutter the nav screen so much as to make it unreadable.

I agreee if every decent size roadway was tracked it would be a little rediculous, however, common expressways and major blvds that run the length and width of a city and is highly used as alternate routes vice the highway and interstate should be covered. How is trafic 30 miles on the outskirts of town with only two lanes north and south more important LV blvd that runs from south point to the North Las Vegas speed way....

I am venting a bit too much I think, my bad
Old 10-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
I like to use Waze for highway driving cause of the warnings & user interactions. I also like google for navigation because it considers current traffic conditions to estimate travel time from point A to point B....and it also gives you alternate routes with their estimated travel time.

g/l
Old 10-09-2013, 09:29 AM
jco23

Originally Posted by telcoman
you don't need to pay for XM Traffic if you get the free download Waze GPS

Waze - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
t is a pretty cool AP especially when a voice via bluetooth says

"watch out Police ahead" or "heavy traffic ahead"

Telcoman

I
never heard of Waze - what a great concept - it's like combining GasBuddy, trapster, and google maps all into one app. now if only it would work in our cars GPS so that I don't have to look at my phone while driving.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:53 AM
n2myg37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It cost $3.99 per month for the traffic. I just signed up yesterday for the $25 plan and added the traffic for the 6 months, which they charged me for upfront. Going to cancel after my 6 months are up as I think Wase is so much better.