Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Replacing the Bose spkrs. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 01:17 PM
Bunzil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing the Bose spkrs. Suggestions?

I have scoured the web looking for an answer to this question: can anyone recommend replacement speakers to replace the Bose units WITHOUT changing over the Bose electronics (head unit and amp).

The G37's sound systems sucks and while I've built more elaborate systems, I really don't have the energy for this one. I just want to get rid of the muddy bass, lacking midrange, and shriking highs.

There must be some decent bolt-in replacements. Can anyone offer some suggestions?

Thanks
Old 09-04-2013, 03:57 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
door speaker

PVC Speaker Adapters - CNC Machined - In Stock or Custom Made

tweeter
PVC Speaker Adapters - CNC Machined - In Stock or Custom Made
Old 09-05-2013, 10:48 AM
Bunzil

It's not the adapters I'm worried about but the actual drivers themselves. There must be some out there that can be exchanged with the crappy Bose units in the doors which, I am sure, are not Bose units anyway.

Anyone have any luck here?
Old 09-05-2013, 01:37 PM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Are you planning on adding a sub? I'm thinking of a adding a smaller sub to my Bose system.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:27 PM
blazeplacid

whats your budget?

do you want co-ax or component?

You can fit 2.75" deep door speakers with these adapters, so most speakers will fit.

If you are on a budget. Infinity reference.
If you have a little money to spend JL C3-650 (probably need an amp to sound their best)

if you want to spend more I can help you out.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:01 AM
Bunzil

Originally Posted by blazeplacid
whats your budget?

You can fit 2.75" deep door speakers with these adapters, so most speakers will fit.

If you have a little money to spend JL C3-650 (probably need an amp to sound their best)

Let's assume money is not an object but that I don't want to take out the Bose amp. What speakers will work best as replacements to the factory units....
Old 09-06-2013, 02:15 AM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Unless you're going to amp them I'd say you're wasting money. Are you in a coupe or sedan? Have you tried adjusting the sound settings so its not so bass heavy?
Old 09-07-2013, 11:35 PM
Bunzil

Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal
Unless you're going to amp them I'd say you're wasting money. Are you in a coupe or sedan? Have you tried adjusting the sound settings so its not so bass heavy?
It's a coupe. And do you really think I've not played with the sound settings? The speakers in the G37's simple suck!

So the question remains: Has anyone replaced the so-called Bose speakers, while leaving the Boseamp installed? And, if so, what speakers?
Old 09-08-2013, 09:02 AM
scottp2765

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I too would like to do this but in my searching there is no easy replacement as the amps are very specifically matched to the crappy speakers both with impedance and crossover points. As well as equalization. Some folks have had OK results with infinity 2ohm speakers.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:59 PM
Bunzil

Originally Posted by scottp2765
I too would like to do this but in my searching there is no easy replacement as the amps are very specifically matched to the crappy speakers both with impedance and crossover points. As well as equalization. Some folks have had OK results with infinity 2ohm speakers.
Ah, now we're getting somewhere....is that the answer, one of impedance specifically 2 ohms?
Old 09-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Bunzil

Originally Posted by blazeplacid
whats your budget?

I'd rather not replace the Bose amp. I just want the existing system to perform better. Ideally I think component is best, two way - and simply eliminating the Infinity tweeters. What do you suggest on that front?
Old 09-09-2013, 12:39 PM
blazeplacid

there are some 2ohm specific speakers made by Infinity and Image Dynamics.

The bose amp is your problem.

its rated at whatever wattage at 2 ohm and has EQ'ing adjusted for the car. People say it doesn't have EQ'ing from the factory, but when you turn up the volume the bass is reduced.

Anything more than a simple drop in pair of speakers will be wasted if you plan on using the Bose amp.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:47 PM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Received 395 Likes on 238 Posts
Typically factory amps are essentially low quality power boosters. No matter what aftermarket speakers you put in the car with a stock amp is going to sound like crap.They are simply too underpowered. I'd get a reasonably priced amp and ...if money is no object as you say...I'd get Diamond Audio Hex compnents. They are pricey but some of the best components I have heard in my life.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Jedclampet

Try this

The doors will hold a mid and a 10 inch woofer mine are Dynaudio 182 which are both pricey an fit. A tweeter will fit in the sail and a 6 channel amp like a JL Audio will fit out of sight in the trunk. That would make a basic system and sound quite a bit better. Above that in funds allow add a processor to better tune it. You can tap the wires off the stock amp in the trunk and will only have to run speaker wires for the tweeters ( unless you go with a co ax for mid and tweeter ) and a power wire for the amp. There are plenty of posts here for the wiring.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:51 AM
RA081224
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Bunzil
It's a coupe. And do you really think I've not played with the sound settings? The speakers in the G37's simple suck!

So the question remains: Has anyone replaced the so-called Bose speakers, while leaving the Boseamp installed? And, if so, what speakers?
In the early stage of my Bose-ectomy I did replace the drivers leaving the amps installed; and while I did gain some clarity and frequency response the overall effect was still disappointing. The Bose amps are made for 2 ohm drivers so unless your going to buy 2 ohm replacements, your SPL will be greatly reduced. Also consider the Bose amps are where 50% (or more) of your crappy sound comes from so expecting great things by just replacing the drivers is not really realistic. At the very least; Id give it a try. The worst thing that could happen is it will motivate you to gut the rest of the system in favor of some real amplification

Quick Reply: Replacing the Bose spkrs. Suggestions?