Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Poor Sirius/XM Reception

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 07:24 AM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Poor Sirius/XM Reception

Does anybody else have an issue with poor satellite reception? I've had multiple cars with XM or Sirius so I'm used to the issues with occasional loss of reception in various settings, but the G takes the cake. For example on Saturday I was traveling along a 2 lane interstate and did not have consistent reception for upwards of 50 miles. There were trees lining both sides of the highway but I've never had an issue driving this road before.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:49 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I get an occasional loss of signal...nothing major.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:06 AM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
same here

reception is usually pretty good
Old 08-28-2013, 07:34 PM
YellowJacket

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Same here. It also seems the further south you drive the worse it gets. Angle of the satellite stream? Also seems worse on east/west highways lined with pine trees.

I gave up on SiriusXM on my trips back and forth between Knoxville TN and Charleston SC. The long stretch between Columbia and Charleston is terrible for reception. Same for my wifes Lexus.

Funny thing though is I park in an underground garage at work, 2 to 3 levels down and still get near perfect SXM reception.... go figure.

David
Old 08-28-2013, 09:25 PM
KEG97
Registered Member

Originally Posted by YellowJacket
Same here. It also seems the further south you drive the worse it gets. Angle of the satellite stream? Also seems worse on east/west highways lined with pine trees.

David
BOOM! I have issues all over the place but much of my area is full of pine trees. The highway run I described before was a East to West along I-64 with lots of pine trees along both sides of the highway.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:45 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by KEG97
Does anybody else have an issue with poor satellite reception? I've had multiple cars with XM or Sirius so I'm used to the issues with occasional loss of reception in various settings, but the G takes the cake. For example on Saturday I was traveling along a 2 lane interstate and did not have consistent reception for upwards of 50 miles. There were trees lining both sides of the highway but I've never had an issue driving this road before.
There is quite a difference in reception depending if you have a Sirius Radio or an XM radio.
They use different satellites.
When I had my 06 G35 with a Sirius Radio I had lots of dropped signals on my 50 mile drive to work in New Jersey

With my 2012 G37S with an XM Radio I experience very few dropped signals.
I drove to Florida and back from NJ last December with no problems.

If you are under warranty have the dealer check the antenna or request a replacement antenna. Have the dealer check for signal strength. There is probably a hidden menu in the radio to do this

Telcoman
Old 08-29-2013, 07:52 AM
KEG97
Registered Member

I've definitely made up my mind that there is an issue that is worthy of having the dealer check it out. I've still got plenty of warranty left so I just need to schedule the visit.

Thanks all!
Old 10-29-2013, 01:11 PM
x2lacrosse
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've definitely made up my mind that there is an issue that is worthy of having the dealer check it out. I've still got plenty of warranty left so I just need to schedule the visit.

Thanks all!
Have same issue in our '10 G37x w/ NAV. On my commute, it will lose reception in areas where our RDX will not. In the G, it will cut out at the slightest sign of a tree by the side of the road; it doesn't even need to come over the road, just the fact of it being by the road will make it cut out. It's pretty terrible. The reception in the RDX is MUCH more stable and will only cut in event of complete overhead cover.

Did u ever visit the stealership?
Old 10-29-2013, 09:42 PM
KEG97
Registered Member

Originally Posted by x2lacrosse
Have same issue in our '10 G37x w/ NAV. On my commute, it will lose reception in areas where our RDX will not. In the G, it will cut out at the slightest sign of a tree by the side of the road; it doesn't even need to come over the road, just the fact of it being by the road will make it cut out. It's pretty terrible. The reception in the RDX is MUCH more stable and will only cut in event of complete overhead cover.

Did u ever visit the stealership?
I have not taken the car in yet. I'll probably get to it around Christmas. I'm still having the problems though.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:25 AM
x2lacrosse
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have not taken the car in yet. I'll probably get to it around Christmas. I'm still having the problems though.
Ok, keep us posted. If I make it in before you, I'll do the same.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:49 PM
KEG97
Registered Member

Originally Posted by x2lacrosse
Ok, keep us posted. If I make it in before you, I'll do the same.
Roger that
Old 10-31-2013, 11:01 PM
maximaseefu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problems with cutting out when driving under tree lined streets. Took it to the dealer and they tried to tell me it was normal. I disagreed and they gave me a loaner for 9 days while they tested it. they ended up replacing the xm antenna and it hasn't cut out since.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:34 PM
KEG97
Registered Member

Originally Posted by maximaseefu
I had the same problems with cutting out when driving under tree lined streets. Took it to the dealer and they tried to tell me it was normal. I disagreed and they gave me a loaner for 9 days while they tested it. they ended up replacing the xm antenna and it hasn't cut out since.
Thanks for sharing. I'm expecting to have a "discussion" with the dealer about it and will ask for them to take another G out on the road with me to compare drop outs.

Why did it take 9 days to fix?
Old 11-02-2013, 02:49 AM
maximaseefu

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they called me 3 days after I left the car and said they were replacing the antenna and it was done 2 days later but I was out of town so I told them I would come pick up my car when I got back in town. So it actually took 5 days but I took the FX loaner to miami since we had the trip planned.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:24 AM
KEG97
Registered Member

I gotcha- still even 5 days to replace the antenna seems a bit excessive.

Quick Reply: Poor Sirius/XM Reception