Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Compustar or Viper Smart Start? FACTORY FOB AND PHONE APP

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 08:19 AM
User 111021
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Compustar or Viper Smart Start? FACTORY FOB AND PHONE APP

So whats the best way to go, what are the newest model Alarm that I should consider, I see people have used both systems and got them to work with Stock FOB and never needing aftermarket fob, and the system unlocks your car with your door button or stock fob just like normal and activates and deactivates your stock & aftermarket alarm at same time.

My main needs are - Shock and Tilt and Window Break Sensor, Being able to use my OEM FOB no aftermarket fobs, being able to arm and disarm both systems together via the fob, door button, and being able to use a Phone App. Remote start is a cool plus but not really needed for me.

what is cheaper in terms of upfront and yearly costs for Phone App?

Also any DIY guides and all part #'s needed to give to a installer, should I look for a specific Viper Dealer or a local Audio Shop I trust?

I also saw a member say he has a pinpad on his windshield which he can enter the code in and disarm the system incase his fob battery died or his phone had no internet connection.

Also do these all support GPS tracking for theft or in general?

Reference threads -

https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...ml#post3661320

https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...arm-video.html

This is the video to the smart start setup like I would want -

Sorry I started a new thread because all the other threads are old and we all know new security systems come out all the time
Old 08-02-2013, 08:24 AM
User 111021
Registered Member

Far as the windshield thing goes, that was from inspireg37xs off this thread - https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...ml#post3661320

Originally Posted by inspireg37xs
Get a Compustar Pro, i forced Idatalink (bypass data interface) to create firmware for my 2012 G37xs so it communicates both directions to OEM factory alarm.

So here's my setup. I installed a Compustar Alarm Start Combo, but with no remotes. I installed a Drone to interface to my iphone.

When I walk up to my car I can still press the button on the door handle and it will disarm the factory alarm and compustar.

I can also choose to control it from my iphone. to arm and disarm, it will do both oem and the compustar. I have 2 way notification on my iphone if it ever goes off.

Installed the Digital Sensor that does tilt, G force and shock. I don't have to carry an extra remote on my keychain. Also have an RPS touch which is a pinpad u stick on the windshield so if I ever don't have keys or my phone I can punch in my pin# on my windshield and disarm and get in. back up battery as well.
Also does a Digital Sensor need to be added seperately on top of the security system for tilt, G force and shock?
Old 08-08-2013, 02:43 AM
User 111021
Registered Member

really? not a single suggestion on which alarm to go with? I just want peoples opinions of good systems, whether you own one or not, Just dont want to go with the wrong one
Old 08-09-2013, 12:58 AM
datboiroy

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Both are great units. I'd do the compustar just cause I wouldn't pay a yearly fee to use the feature on my phone.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:52 AM
User 111021
Registered Member

Originally Posted by datboiroy
Both are great units. I'd do the compustar just cause I wouldn't pay a yearly fee to use the feature on my phone.
It says there's still a fee but I am guessing it's cheaper

http://www.dronemobile.com/pricing/plans.html
Old 08-09-2013, 04:10 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
I wouldn't waste my time on an alarm.

When was the last time you heard a car alarm go off and you saw some one run towards your car to save it?
Most people just ignore it, Even at 2am.
No one calls the police or even attempts to save your car.

remote start would be the only thing i would want to add.
I have had it in previous cars and its worth it to me.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:11 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
also, dont go cheap on an install that is tied into so many parts of your car

find a person or shop that knows what they are doing.
The installation will not be budget friendly.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:24 PM
User 111021
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blazeplacid
also, dont go cheap on an install that is tied into so many parts of your car

find a person or shop that knows what they are doing.
The installation will not be budget friendly.
You are right about the purpose of a alarm, I think I wanted it more for the cool aspect, maybe I should just add shock sensors to the OEM Alarm and a blinking LED
Old 08-11-2013, 01:42 PM
RA081224
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by blazeplacid
I wouldn't waste my time on an alarm.

When was the last time you heard a car alarm go off and you saw some one run towards your car to save it?
Most people just ignore it, Even at 2am.
No one calls the police or even attempts to save your car.

remote start would be the only thing i would want to add.
I have had it in previous cars and its worth it to me.
+1 here. Over the past three decades, I've had more than eight cars stolen, molested or damaged and the only alarm systems that Id consider at this point are the ones that alert me of the intrusion instantly. Alarms blaring at any time of the night or day are generally ignored, Cops are stretched so thin these days that auto theft or vandalism isn't even followed up on unless its a classic or $100K vehicle.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:56 PM
msmching

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hopefully you have yet to make up your decisions yet...
I m currently using the Viper Smart start . Yes, you can use your OEM keys to do the things. (Lock/unlock/trunk/panic/remote start). But I didn't go with that options because of the installer being working on my car for WAYYY too long and i gave up waiting to get them to do OEM keys.

Anyway, my 2 cents will be...
If you have too much money and wanted to show off/have fun, then go with the Viper Smart Start.
If you want a alarm system mainly... then I guess I will not be recommending you to VSS.

First, When the weather gets too hot, the smart start on key and iphone app will NOT work. When it cools down, then its fine.
2ndly, I was parked at a parking lot where someone backed into my car. My alarm went off, but I was inside the building and couldn't hear it. BY the time I got the message on my phone saying that the alarm is going off...I RUSHED out within secs, and the car alarm was already off and the person who hit it?? GONE.
Basically telling you that, the message takes a min or two to get it across to your phone.
And yeah. like what blazeplacid mentioned, nobody's going to be checking out the car when alarms going off! My car was parked in between two restaurants. NO ONE went to see what's wrong.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:26 AM
User 111021
Registered Member

Originally Posted by msmching
Hopefully you have yet to make up your decisions yet...
I m currently using the Viper Smart start . Yes, you can use your OEM keys to do the things. (Lock/unlock/trunk/panic/remote start). But I didn't go with that options because of the installer being working on my car for WAYYY too long and i gave up waiting to get them to do OEM keys.

Anyway, my 2 cents will be...
If you have too much money and wanted to show off/have fun, then go with the Viper Smart Start.
If you want a alarm system mainly... then I guess I will not be recommending you to VSS.

First, When the weather gets too hot, the smart start on key and iphone app will NOT work. When it cools down, then its fine.
2ndly, I was parked at a parking lot where someone backed into my car. My alarm went off, but I was inside the building and couldn't hear it. BY the time I got the message on my phone saying that the alarm is going off...I RUSHED out within secs, and the car alarm was already off and the person who hit it?? GONE.
Basically telling you that, the message takes a min or two to get it across to your phone.
And yeah. like what blazeplacid mentioned, nobody's going to be checking out the car when alarms going off! My car was parked in between two restaurants. NO ONE went to see what's wrong.
Ya reading the posts a alarm doesn't add much security it's better to get just shock/motion sensors added to alarm and I don't need remote start.

If there's a solution under $300 with just alarm and installation I would consider it but seems like a alarm is not with it, specially because you hear alarms all day and ignore it because it's annoying
Old 08-25-2013, 11:37 PM
inspireg37xs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Compustar is still the best system to go with. If you're going to install an aftermarket alarm system, might as well add the remote start. Because if you change your mind later, it requires removal of the old system and installation of a new system, its not just add on.

Yes you can do an alarm with remote start system with compustar, and add the drone (the gps and cellular connection where you can control from an app)

I have a little pin pad, its an accessory i also added it sticks to the windshield and is a touch sensitive with a numeric pad, so that if i don't have my keys or my cell phone on me, I can arm and disarm the alarm system. I use it when I go to the beach, I can lock my keys and cell phone in my car, use the pin pad to lock and arm, and unlock and disarm.

I also added all the accessories, such as back up battery, tilt sensor, (shock sensor comes included)

I can just use my smart key like normal, press the button on the door to unlock disarm factory alarm (including compustar aftermarket alarm)

It works seamless as if you didn't have an aftermarket alarm.

Parts you would want:

Drone (GPS Tracking and 2 way communication to your smart phone)

FT-6000AS-CONT (alarm and remote start brain)
or
FT-6300A-CONT (alarm only brain)

BLADE-AL from idatalink ( 2 way communcation to your vehicle for seamless integration)

Any accessories such as tilt sensor:
FT-DAS

FT-RPS Touch - the pinpad you stick on your windshield

FT-Battbackup - battery backup if you want

Let me know if you have any questions
Works way better than DEI products (ie. smart start, viper) I've sold both in the past, and Compustar is by far more reliable

Well if you add the drone - it gives you 2 way notification - if your alarm goes off, it goes through the app and gives you push notification. So if you alarm goes off, your phone will buzz.

There's been times when im traveling on the other side of the world, I can check to make sure my vehicle's still at home, if the battery level is low (when I'm gone for a few weeks), remote start my vehicle, let it charge up the battery.

Drone for the app, does have an annual fee, but first year basic plan is free for Drone, and you can do GPS tracking upgrade if you wish to do so.

http://www.compustar.com/Accessories...Info.php#Alarm
Old 12-29-2014, 03:14 PM
Zod

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking for a Compustar installer in the Miami area, having a hard time finding one with Compustar experience. Anyone know a place?