Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Alpine considered Top Quality?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 09:32 AM
chicago_animal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dyn, Hat, Focal..... These are names I'm looking for so I can check out. Any other names?
Old 07-10-2013, 10:38 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Speakers? Check out DLS Audio Ultimate series.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:29 PM
cdcG

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
MB Quart, JL, Boston Acoustics, and Rockford Fosgate are other names to consider as well for component speakers. Alpine like Bb said makes great quality amps and head units while their speakers are just a step below that par.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:45 PM
chicago_animal

The problem when asking about something like this is everyone has their own opinions. But at least the concensus is that I can do better then Alpine if I want higher quality and willing to spend more money.
If anyone has a certain setup as well I'd love to hear thoughts.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:51 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by chicago_animal
The problem when asking about something like this is everyone has their own opinions. But at least the concensus is that I can do better then Alpine if I want higher quality and willing to spend more money.
If anyone has a certain setup as well I'd love to hear thoughts.
You hit the nail on the head. It may help if you are able to give what you're trying to accomplish overall and a rough budget if you know it. Are you trying to replace everything in your system? Do you want excellent musical sound reproduction or something that booms really loud? What'll you be listening to most often?
Old 07-10-2013, 05:44 PM
chicago_animal

I'm 100% Alt Rock and Hard Rock. My Charger had an Infinity system and it was great! I didn't feel the need to upgrade at all. It had a 10" sub that wasn't too much but it sounded good inside with the music. When a song kicked in, it all came together.
With these stock speakers, a song kicks in and you just don't get the same sound.
I'm willing to spend some extra cash for a better sounding car. It all depends on how much as I think I'm best if I change a the speakers out.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:47 PM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Your best bet is to go to your local audio shops to hear all the different speakers Most audio shops have show room floors that has all the speakers setup for you to hear. Car Toys has everything from alpine to high end focal's setup in their show rooms.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:00 PM
chicago_animal

Going through older threads on people talking about wanting a better sounding in their G and a few have said to get a Sub before doing anything to the Boss speakers as adding a sub will make a world of difference. I don't think I get any bass in my G so I was wondering your guys thoughts.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:45 AM
cdcG

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I can definitely recommend getting a sub. I have only a JL audio 500/1v2 monoblock amp powering a JL 12" w3v3 sub in a sealed box and it sounds great, especially if you like bass.

If you get a nice 12" or 10" by those companies I mentioned as well as Alpine and Pioneer, you won't be disappointed. it definitely brings the Bose speakers to life.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:21 AM
John B

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Alpine is probably not gonna be a good enough replacement speaker. You're gonna need to spend some money to do better.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:54 PM
UncleFunkle
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
DIYMA
This is where I go to check out builds, ask for advice and it is a car audio centric forum so you can get a better idea of your options. but price point and SQ/SPL is anouth very important factor. I am a SQ man myself, when I was a young guy i wanted SPL. The last instal I did was on my old accord a few years ago and it took me a few weekends to do the install and tune. Take your time and research, research, research.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:03 PM
mark1478

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
+1 on the diyma. Am a frequent member there
Old 07-14-2013, 01:17 AM
RA081224
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Speakers? Check out DLS Audio Ultimate series.
Ok man, you've peaked my interest. Ever since I De-Bosed my car, I've been looking for a good replacement driver for the door mids. Looking for something smooth, pronounced without being harsh with a wide stage. Whats your take on DLS Audio drivers?
Old 07-14-2013, 01:22 AM
RA081224
Banned

Going through older threads on people talking about wanting a better sounding in their G and a few have said to get a Sub before doing anything to the Boss speakers as adding a sub will make a world of difference. I don't think I get any bass in my G so I was wondering your guys thoughts.
I think a lot really depends on what type of music you like and how loud you listen to it. For me, I think a strong, clean prominent base note anchors the music and gives it depth. Other guys would spend on the mids first. In the end, I don't think anyone would argue that a well done aftermarket sub and amp setup is not going to improve the stock system. The question is how much will the improvement be to you versus how long you can wait to thrash the rest of the system and upgrade it as well.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:28 AM
RA081224
Banned

I'm 100% Alt Rock and Hard Rock. My Charger had an Infinity system and it was great! I didn't feel the need to upgrade at all. It had a 10" sub that wasn't too much but it sounded good inside with the music. When a song kicked in, it all came together.
With these stock speakers, a song kicks in and you just don't get the same sound.
I'm willing to spend some extra cash for a better sounding car. It all depends on how much as I think I'm best if I change a the speakers out.
Rather than identify what you like by the kind of music, target what it is about the music that you like (punchy prominent base, crystal clear highs...) This will better determine what components you need to focus on. Once you have that sorted out, go to car stereo shops with a test CD of your favorite tunes and listen, listen, listen. Take notes about what you like and don't like. Make sure your hyper accurate as the human ear has poor memory. Don't be to surprised if once you understand what you like; you find out you can't easily afford it!

Quick Reply: Alpine considered Top Quality?