Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Goofy electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 02:27 PM
jaykellogg

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Goofy electrical problem

I don't know if this is something I did or not. The car was parked in my garage (Under my bedroom). This morning I went to use it and the door was locked. I have had this happen before, I always assumed I accidently bumped the lock on the remote (smart key). Well, it wouldn't unlock, the battery was dead. I manually unlocked it and put the battery charger on it and the alarm was activated. Pushing the alarm on the smart key did no good, it timed out. I left and came back this afternoon, the battery still isn't charged and the door was locked again (with the key inside). I got the other key and the remote unlocked the door. I retrieved the 1st key from inside the car. The current draw is going up, down, up, down. Using the second smart key I activated the alarm and deactivated it. Last I looked the current was steady. I put the charger on a faster charge.

Any ideas?
Old 06-24-2013, 04:35 PM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
sounds like a dead / going dead battery
Old 06-24-2013, 04:59 PM
jaykellogg

OK, I am going to say that me opening the door manually with the key triggered the alarm. Will it do that?

It seems to be charging well now. Still do not know what ran the battery dead unless my smart key had the button stay pressed. I was home all weekend and I would have the horn blaring if the alarm went off (in the garage).

I believe the battery is 11 months old.

Last edited by jaykellogg; 06-24-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:24 PM
jaykellogg

Well, I had it charged last evening and it was dead again this afternoon. I disconnected the battery and tomorrow I will look for a parasitic current draw.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:50 PM
jaykellogg

I have about a 12.5 amp draw with everything shut off. I am going to try disconnecting the alternator wiring to see if it is backfeeding.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:25 PM
jaykellogg

I took it to Bradshaw Infiniti (Greenville, SC). They said over the phone that the ecm sometimes brings things "on" when the car isn't running and suggested a reflash might fix it. Well they crashed the ecm, so I am driving a service loaner (G37 sedan). It is supposed to be fixed tomorrow, I hope so, I want to take a vacation over the 4th. At this time it looks like it is all covered under warranty.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:15 PM
jaykellogg

I picked up the car today. Everything seems fine, we will have to wait and see on the current draw on the battery. The only part replaced was the ecm -23710-JK71D. I would say the car seems more responsive, but the weather here is horrible. I got the latest software.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:33 PM
jaykellogg

Follow up.

I drove the car to Pigeon Forge, TN over the 4th and I have to say I could not be more delighted with the performance. The bottom end is a lot more responsive and it seems to have more power. I guess I would suggest if you have an '08 and it still has powertrain warranty in effect, have the latest reflash done on it
Old 07-08-2013, 09:55 PM
maxminbig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I disconnected the battery and tomorrow I will look for a parasitic current draw too