Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

iOs 7 for the Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 09:59 AM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
iOs 7 for the Car

Anyone know where Nissan/Infiniti is incorporating iOs7 for the car into their lineup?

I personally disliked the idea of navigation systems in cars because I already have a garmin, and have one in my smartphone. To me, its a waste of a few grand when smartphones can do so much more.

Ideally, what Id love in a car is just a touch screen that can replicate the smartphone screen and act as a display for my smartphone. I want to plug the smartphone in and charge when I get into the car, keep it in the center console, and access it from the car's touchscreen. I dont need a 30 gig music box, I dont need satellite radio, I dont need a paid subscription to traffic updates, I dont need wifi in the car or a separate data package - I already have it all on my smartphone. I just need it to connect to my car.

It seems like ios7 for the car will do that and they list Nissan/Infiniti as someone they are working with. Anyone know anything more? If this was legit and it wasnt coming out into 2015, for me this is something significant that I would want and would wait another year to get a new car for this technology.

No more 3k on navigation packages.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...r-the-car.html
http://www.slashgear.com/ios-7-in-ca...ters-10285818/
Old 06-11-2013, 10:11 AM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Keynote said 2014 models
Old 06-11-2013, 10:11 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Yes. They are one of the 12.
iOS In The Car Is Coming To Your Chevy Or Ferrari In 2014

However if you think this will stop you from paying a premium for it, you're mistaken. Think its going to be free for the manufacturer? Of course not. They have to pay for it. So will the consumer. Just like you have to pay for your smartphone + voice + data. Better integration of features commonly found in smartphones into automobiles will be nice, but it will also be controversial because it will cause even more distracted driving, as if there's not enough already. I see it every single day on my 25 minute commute to and from work.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:43 PM
Varjo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I wish it was android though tbh Google now is far more advanced than Siri at this point, not to mention the insane gap between google maps and apple maps.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:11 AM
philter25

Originally Posted by Black Betty
However if you think this will stop you from paying a premium for it, you're mistaken. Think its going to be free for the manufacturer? Of course not. They have to pay for it. So will the consumer. Just like you have to pay for your smartphone + voice + data. Better integration of features commonly found in smartphones into automobiles will be nice, but it will also be controversial because it will cause even more distracted driving, as if there's not enough already. I see it every single day on my 25 minute commute to and from work.
I dont mind paying for it. But I dont think it will be as expensive as stand alone navigation systems. As I see it, in lieu of a navigation system which automakers make, they can just put in the screen and make the system compatible with a smartphone.

I see Infiniti on the list and that it will be starting in 2014 models, but any news if the 2014 Q50 will have this?

I havent found what specific models will be getting this in 2014.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:02 PM
LegitMW

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
But if your phone doesn't have signal then the navigation wouldn't work. Where as the built in one, works all the time.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:06 PM
daonlyillwiz

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by LegitMW
But if your phone doesn't have signal then the navigation wouldn't work. Where as the built in one, works all the time.
Precisely!
Old 06-13-2013, 01:17 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by philter25
I dont mind paying for it. But I dont think it will be as expensive as stand alone navigation systems. As I see it, in lieu of a navigation system which automakers make, they can just put in the screen and make the system compatible with a smartphone.

I see Infiniti on the list and that it will be starting in 2014 models, but any news if the 2014 Q50 will have this?

I havent found what specific models will be getting this in 2014.
My guess is that it wont come on base models, just like high tech sound and navigation systems don't right now. It may vary somewhat by manufacturer. The lower tier manufacturers (Hyundai, Kia) might include it as standard equipment so as to have more value in their car. I can easily see Nissan and Infiniti including it as a part of their Technology or Navigation packages. Or possibly have a "regular" and "advanced" version of the nav/tech so that they can charge a premium for it. We'll have to wait to see I guess.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:01 AM
philter25

Originally Posted by LegitMW
I'm willing to take that risk. I dont have car navigation right now and Ive been perfect without it.

The only time my phone has lost signal was driving through an underwater tunnel. And then it picked it back up as soon as I came out the other end. I guess I dont drive through areas which have signal problems.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:12 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
i really hope infiniti does not put ios in the q50. they would lose me as a customer.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:25 AM
perdido34

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by philter25
The only time my phone has lost signal was driving through an underwater tunnel. And then it picked it back up as soon as I came out the other end. I guess I dont drive through areas which have signal problems.
Right, because the smartphones use cellular signals to run their navigation apps, so if you are in an area with poor cell service, you're out of luck. This can be in certain urban areas or in rural, open, low-population areas. The car's nav system uses a GPS signal, so it's rare to be out of signal for any extended period of time.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:40 AM
YellowJacket

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by perdido34
Right, because the smartphones use cellular signals to run their navigation apps, so if you are in an area with poor cell service, you're out of luck. This can be in certain urban areas or in rural, open, low-population areas. The car's nav system uses a GPS signal, so it's rare to be out of signal for any extended period of time.
Not all of them...

My backup navigation system is Copilot Live on my phone. (9.99 on google play). Maps are stored on my memory card so I do not need a data connection to run it.

Also, google maps/navigation can be cached so you don't need a constant data stream for it either, but the amount you can cache is limited....but still sufficient.

David
Old 06-16-2013, 02:36 PM
Varjo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by YellowJacket
Not all of them...

My backup navigation system is Copilot Live on my phone. (9.99 on google play). Maps are stored on my memory card so I do not need a data connection to run it.

Also, google maps/navigation can be cached so you don't need a constant data stream for it either, but the amount you can cache is limited....but still sufficient.

David

Yep, most android users that really rely on their navigation use Google navigation as their daily app, but have a backup app that caches maps to SD card as well.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:49 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
I have several mapping apps on my android device along with google maps. Each mapset consumes about 2GB of storage space (64GB card in phone) and doesn't rely on any internet connection at all (except for traffic data).

1) Copilot
2) Navigon
3) Mapwithme

Maybe a bit OCD, but never hurts to have a backup. On long road trips where I'm driving custom routes, I'll even bring a backup gps with me. Lesson learned the hard way - gps crashed while on a motorcycle trip in the middle of nowhere, indiana. Wasted an hour on the side of the road trying to reboot the thing. The above apps aren't really useful for custom routing (maybe copilot as it permits you to rubber band routes), but will provide navigation to get you where you're going.

Edit: @varjo, what app will cache google map data? I know the app itself has caching ability, but only does a small area. You can't easily cache a whole state(s).