Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

XM radio reception

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 04:04 PM
michg37

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
XM radio reception

Anyone with reception issues can improve it by installing a Terk XMAMP18 in line signal amp. I was having issues where the signal would cut in and out in areas where tall trees bordered the road. My BMW never cuts out in the same areas so I know there must be a way to improve it. Since I couldn't find an in line signal amp for automotive purposes I bought one for home applications. The input and output are RG6 female connectors on the terk amp, I cut the cars antenna line and spliced 2 male ends in so that I can just thread it in easily. Voila never drop signal anymore unless I'm in the garage. Bought mine on ebay for $20 bucks, worth every penny.
The following users liked this post:
XMMAN (04-28-2013)
Old 04-28-2013, 12:34 AM
XMMAN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by michg37
Anyone with reception issues can improve it by installing a Terk XMAMP18 in line signal amp. I was having issues where the signal would cut in and out in areas where tall trees bordered the road. My BMW never cuts out in the same areas so I know there must be a way to improve it. Since I couldn't find an in line signal amp for automotive purposes I bought one for home applications. The input and output are RG6 female connectors on the terk amp, I cut the cars antenna line and spliced 2 male ends in so that I can just thread it in easily. Voila never drop signal anymore unless I'm in the garage. Bought mine on ebay for $20 bucks, worth every penny.
Even though both companies have merged, both Sirius and XM modules are installed in the manufacture's they had arrangements with prior to the merge. Infiniti uses XM hardware which talks to the XM satellites and BMW uses Sirius chipsets which download from the Sirius satellites. This, along with many other things, can be why both your vehicles receive different signal strengths. There is new hardware coming out (new Dodge RAM is the first to have it) that will eliminate the need for two separate modules. I never heard of any on doing what you did in a car, buy I would love if you could email me some installation pictures!
Old 04-29-2013, 02:24 PM
LTrainG37

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My G was the first car I had that came with XM (all others were Sirius), and I also noticed losing signal in places I didn't lose it with Sirius (stretches of road with tall trees on each side)... sounds like an easy enough mod to get better reception.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:07 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
A signal amp wont work when the signal is blocked!
Old 04-30-2013, 01:33 AM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
cancel the radio and switch it over to sirius xm smartphone app. i cancelled all my radios and use my phone to bluetooth stream in all my cars and at home with one monthly charge. signal hardly ever goes out...even in tunnels.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:48 AM
michg37

I'll try to post some pics but all i'm saying is the G was way more sensitive to dropping signal, the improvement is like night and day. I also have an xterra with XM, it was much better then the G when driving down roads with lots of trees. I'm telling you this worked for me, your choice if you want to try to improve your signal.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:08 AM
michg37

I should also point out that there are 3 different XM configurations in the G, I do not know that all have this issue. config#1, non nav with xm tuner under the rear shelf (not very good signal). Config#2, nav,with xm tuner built in to head unit (don't know if this is good or not). Config #3 non nav converted to nav with xm tuner built in to head unit (not ver good signal).

Config#2 has the wiring running up above the head liner, this configuration could be better, would need someone with factory nav to confirm.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:25 PM
michg37

I didn't want to drop the rear shelf cover again yet so i figured i would just use one of my pictures from my non nav to nav DIY.

This location (circled in red) will work for anyone that originally had non nav from factory. The area circled below is where i spliced into the XM antenna cable to run it to my head unit when i upgraded to factory nav. basically i cut the splice in half, spliced a piece of RG6 coax cable to each end and threaded the signal am onto the two ends.

If you have factory nav the best thing to do is to remove the main nav head unit in your dash and do the same type of splicing right before it connects to the back of the head unit. Otherwise you'll need to drop your roof liner which sucks.

Later on i plan on dropping the cover again to remove the old XM satellite tuner and telephone adapter unit since it is built in to the head unit. When i do i'll take a picture of the finished product.
Attached Thumbnails XM radio reception-img_1226.jpg  
Old 05-07-2013, 01:19 AM
nbdiver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by michg37
I should also point out that there are 3 different XM configurations in the G, I do not know that all have this issue. config#1, non nav with xm tuner under the rear shelf (not very good signal). Config#2, nav,with xm tuner built in to head unit (don't know if this is good or not). Config #3 non nav converted to nav with xm tuner built in to head unit (not ver good signal).

Config#2 has the wiring running up above the head liner, this configuration could be better, would need someone with factory nav to confirm.
I have config #2 and my reception is horrible as well. I was beginning to think I was going crazy. I've narrowed down my problem to mostly driving north and south (I live in Phoenix). Trees or no trees, as soon as I turn east or west my reception comes back with no problem. I have an FX35 with aftermarket Sirius and this problem doesn't exist. Its almost unbearable to try and listen to XM! Can't believe this is still a problem in a 2011 car that has it built in!

I will give this a try as I am at my wits end!
Old 05-07-2013, 07:43 PM
michg37

For me it made a big difference, I hope it works for u as well. I recommend pulling out the head unit and installing it right before it connects to the stereo. It is the small reddish pink connector
Old 05-07-2013, 07:44 PM
michg37

If you are comfortable with dropping the head liner you can install it somewhere up there as well
Old 05-07-2013, 09:06 PM
nbdiver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which would be better for the novice DIY'er?? I am not of the mechanical nature so this may be a daunting task for me. For those who have not pulled the head unit out would you say its a pretty easy task? Just thinking about it makes me think it will take quite a bit of work?
Old 06-09-2013, 06:30 PM
YellowJacket

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I've gotta laugh about the reception I get. If I pull half way into my garage at home I get total signal loss. Driving down a street or the highway lined with tall trees I get total signal loss. However, in the 3rd level down (under ground below a 10 story building) in the parking garage where I park at work, I can get full reception!

Go figure....

David
Old 07-30-2014, 06:28 PM
NatesGr8

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any updates on this? I have terrible reception, dropouts diving down an unobstructed highway. It's driving me crazy!!!
Old 07-30-2014, 07:19 PM
blueis300
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
They replaced my antenna and still sucks. Im going to take it back because I can turn off the car and it be on xm3, turn the car on and its on xm1 preview channel. Last time they had my car they wanted a tech to take my car home to try and duplicate the issue. I said bullcrap. I dont have another dealership near me.

Quick Reply: XM radio reception