Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

XM radio reception

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 09:08 AM
puff2ice
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does the work order show a part number?
Old 08-09-2015, 03:30 PM
former520

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took a stab and bought a new cheap-o antenna from amazon
Amazon.com : Terk by Audiovox XMICRO2 XM Mini Roof Mount Antenna : Vehicle Satellite Radio Accessories : Electronics Amazon.com : Terk by Audiovox XMICRO2 XM Mini Roof Mount Antenna : Vehicle Satellite Radio Accessories : Electronics

Took about an hour and a half including dropping the headliner to try grab the connector at the antenna (different fitting unfortunately). Worked right away and no issues on my N/S roads that it would completely drop on (look at a map of phoenix, it is literally half the roads run directly N/S).

I put my new antenna next to the 3rd brake light on the rear shelf. Hope it helps out someone else with this issue.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:48 PM
strictlys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by former520
I took a stab and bought a new cheap-o antenna from amazon Amazon.com : Terk by Audiovox XMICRO2 XM Mini Roof Mount Antenna : Vehicle Satellite Radio Accessories : Electronics

Took about an hour and a half including dropping the headliner to try grab the connector at the antenna (different fitting unfortunately). Worked right away and no issues on my N/S roads that it would completely drop on (look at a map of phoenix, it is literally half the roads run directly N/S).

I put my new antenna next to the 3rd brake light on the rear shelf. Hope it helps out someone else with this issue.
do you have the base no nav audio?

I dont have a bose system its a base audio. I don't think mines in the headliner. I just bought the antenna planning to do it tomorrow or so.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:01 PM
dcarrington01

Same issue with XM.

I have been having the same issue with XM reception. I frequently get loss of signal, loading, and more frequently (except when dealer looks at it) where the car goes under an overpass, drive-thru or on start up, the satellite radio is back on XM1.

I think I have the Bose system (speakers on back deck and dash have Bose on them) and I have what looks like option 1 in Mich37's picture in the first page.

Anyone add one of the antenna boosters he used? If so, how'd it work out, and how did you splice it inline? Thanks!
Old 08-18-2015, 09:09 PM
dcarrington01

Originally Posted by blueis300
Receiver as in head unit? My antenna has already been replaced and it still sucks along with the stupid resetting back to xm defaulting to preview channel 1.
Have you tried installing that signal booster or another antenna yet? If you did, what connectors did you use to plug into the factory antenna connection?
Old 08-19-2015, 10:43 PM
former520

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by strictlys
do you have the base no nav audio?

I dont have a bose system its a base audio. I don't think mines in the headliner. I just bought the antenna planning to do it tomorrow or so.
I have nav and the connector is in the dash. The base is in the trunk and pretty easy to get at. Pull down the trim under the deck and look for the pink plug.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:49 PM
WildGreekPilot

A bump, and what I did

First post for me on this forum:

Thanks for the great thread. I wanted to bump this and provide some insight as I had a problem with my satellite reception and the info got me most of the way. This thread really helped me get started figuring out what my satellite radio issues were. I have the 2012 with no-nave (so the satellite receiver is in the trunk). Turns out the antenna was bad. I had great reception in certain places, and horrible reception in others (including wide-open, unobstructed spaces).

The first thing I did was track down and order the Terk 18db in-line amplifier. Snagged that from Amazon.

Since it comes F-connection female, I need to buy TWO(2) Male-to-Male F adapters (Coax male-to-male) in RG6. I grabbed these from RadioShack.

At first I had purchased a Female F-type to SMB-Female adapter and a Female F-Type to SMB-Male adapter.

The problem was the amplifier and all these adapters are too bulky (Think FAT Permanent marker) and doesn't sit well in the space the receiver is in. The other problem was that MY antenna is broken, so this configuration DID NOT FIX my problem. It may work for some if your antenna isn't broken and this would be the end of your project.

What I ended up trying was the following in the order of connection:

I ran the satellite cable from the trunk deck inside the car (needs to be as close to the window as possible without touching it), through the car-seat anchor point on the deck, and to the receiver. A little Velcro to keep the antenna from bouncing around the top of the deck, and I have CRYSTAL CLEAR Satellite radio.

I hope this helps anyone that needed to go a few more steps past amplifier.

The cable is 20', not 6" like the picture would have you think.
    Old 08-07-2020, 06:44 PM
    Nick Layer
    Registered Member

Originally Posted by michg37
    Anyone with reception issues can improve it by installing a Terk XMAMP18 in line signal amp. I was having issues where the signal would cut in and out in areas where tall trees bordered the road. My BMW never cuts out in the same areas so I know there must be a way to improve it. Since I couldn't find an in line signal amp for automotive purposes I bought one for home applications. The input and output are RG6 female connectors on the terk amp, I cut the cars antenna line and spliced 2 male ends in so that I can just thread it in easily. Voila never drop signal anymore unless I'm in the garage. Bought mine on ebay for $20 bucks, worth every penny.
    Late to the party here but i’m gonna try the same thing. I’m assuming he’s adding the amp inline to the antenna wiring closest to that pink connecter in the trunk roof. Also, i’m assuming you would need 2 rg6 adapters to splice onto both male ends of the cut antenna, so it can fit into the amp’s rg6 female connectors. I’ll update!
    Old 08-15-2020, 11:03 AM
    GeezerB
    Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
    There is an easier cure. Look for a thread on replacing the antenna. I posted pics. 95% improvement.
    Old 12-11-2021, 03:28 PM
    richez2000
    Registered Member

I'm guessing I have config #2 above? I have a 2012 G37x Sport with NAV. Anyone know where the satellite antenna is on mine and can point me to a drawing so I know where to replace the antenna?

Last edited by richez2000; 12-11-2021 at 03:41 PM.
    Old 12-11-2021, 10:15 PM
    GeezerB
    Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
    Your connector is above the rear passenger seat headliner.Look for my post with detailed instructions.
    Old 12-12-2021, 12:01 AM
    richez2000
    Registered Member

Found your post and pics. Doesn't look as simple as the non nav trunk connector. I appreciate the help!