Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

XM radio reception

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 04:50 AM
Blanko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by michg37
Anyone with reception issues can improve it by installing a Terk XMAMP18 in line signal amp. I was having issues where the signal would cut in and out in areas where tall trees bordered the road. My BMW never cuts out in the same areas so I know there must be a way to improve it. Since I couldn't find an in line signal amp for automotive purposes I bought one for home applications. The input and output are RG6 female connectors on the terk amp, I cut the cars antenna line and spliced 2 male ends in so that I can just thread it in easily. Voila never drop signal anymore unless I'm in the garage. Bought mine on ebay for $20 bucks, worth every penny.
My G is a 2012 37S Sedan w/nav. Reception sucks and is getting worse. This summer with full foliage has been worst ever. Would make me not buy a mx radio car again.

Anyway thanks that some one has a solution ! I got amp and have taken console apart to install. I think the xm cable is the pink Fakra connector plugged into the bottom left of the back of the unit as you look at it from the back. However just in case it's the gps connector thought I would check with you guys.

Does anyone have a diagram of all the connections at the back of the unit or know which is the xm cable?
Old 08-11-2014, 04:02 PM
NatesGr8

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i too am interested in this. Just purchased all the components to do the mod without any splicing. One way to test is unhook it and see if you drop your satellite radio signal completely. How'd you make out? Any updates for us? I'll try to remember to take pictures of my mod. I also got another antenna in case the amp doesn't do the trick.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:24 AM
Blanko

I couldn't pull the trigger and cut the wiring as the wiring looked smaller diameter than std RG6 cable. Also there's not much room (it's a big reach in) to trim the cable - could be a real mess so have decided to do what you have done and do a splice less connection.

What components did you get?
Old 08-15-2014, 05:15 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Blanko
My G is a 2012 37S Sedan w/nav. Reception sucks and is getting worse. This summer with full foliage has been worst ever. Would make me not buy a mx radio car again.

Anyway thanks that some one has a solution ! I got amp and have taken console apart to install. I think the xm cable is the pink Fakra connector plugged into the bottom left of the back of the unit as you look at it from the back. However just in case it's the gps connector thought I would check with you guys.

Does anyone have a diagram of all the connections at the back of the unit or know which is the xm cable?
I have the same vehicle and have no problem with XM reception.

Telcoman
Old 08-18-2014, 05:23 PM
NatesGr8

Blanko,
I ordered a bunch of components, some might not be necessary or I may need extras. But so far I have the
Audiovox XM XMAMP18 Terk 18dB In-Line Amplifier for XM6 Antenna (Black),
2 Sirius XM Radio FAKRA Antenna Adapter Connector Sirius XM Radio Factory Antenna Adapter,
SIRIUS XM Radio RG6 COAX Antenna Conversion Kit,
F Male to F Male Coax Cable Coupler Adapter Pack of 5
and as a plan C i also ordered another antenna...Terk XMICRO2 Single INPUT High Performance Roof Mount XM Antenna.

All of these parts can be found on amazon.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:25 PM
cplovero

Originally Posted by NatesGr8
Blanko,
I ordered a bunch of components, some might not be necessary or I may need extras. But so far I have the
Audiovox XM XMAMP18 Terk 18dB In-Line Amplifier for XM6 Antenna (Black),
2 Sirius XM Radio FAKRA Antenna Adapter Connector Sirius XM Radio Factory Antenna Adapter,
SIRIUS XM Radio RG6 COAX Antenna Conversion Kit,
F Male to F Male Coax Cable Coupler Adapter Pack of 5
and as a plan C i also ordered another antenna...Terk XMICRO2 Single INPUT High Performance Roof Mount XM Antenna.

All of these parts can be found on amazon.
Were you able to fix your reception issues with those parts? Like several others, I am experiencing dropped reception on open highways on my 2010 G37xS w/ Nav and looking for a solution.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:06 PM
NatesGr8

I haven't had the chance to install anything yet, hoping to this week/weekend. I will post results when i have them.
The following users liked this post:
cplovero (09-08-2014)
Old 05-08-2015, 11:43 AM
MrTLFsr

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Are there any updates on this? I need to do something about my crap reception.
Does the amp help?
Old 05-08-2015, 03:36 PM
blueis300
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I have the same issue along with my stereo all of a sudden reversing to the preview channel for no reason. Even though I showed the dealership it happen they couldnt duplicate again so nothing was done. Out of all the vehicles Ive had this is the one with the worst reception. I spoke with my local Nissan dealership and there is a supposed TSB with regards to 2013 vehicles that also have navigation but not sure that would help.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:18 PM
MrTLFsr

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The dealer tested my signal and it was weak. They wanted to replace the antenna (over $500) but no way am I going that route. Hopefully the Terk AMP will do the trick.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:21 PM
amciner28

has anyone had something like this fixed under warranty? I just purchased a subscription for my 2012 non nav and it's a joke how bad the signal is. It's actually embarrassing if you are driving around other people.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:15 PM
blueis300
Registered Member

They replaced the antenna and that didnt solve anything. Cant get them to replace the head unit as they couldnt duplicate.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:38 PM
former520

Originally Posted by nbdiver
I have config #2 and my reception is horrible as well. I was beginning to think I was going crazy. I've narrowed down my problem to mostly driving north and south (I live in Phoenix). Trees or no trees, as soon as I turn east or west my reception comes back with no problem. I have an FX35 with aftermarket Sirius and this problem doesn't exist. Its almost unbearable to try and listen to XM! Can't believe this is still a problem in a 2011 car that has it built in!

I will give this a try as I am at my wits end!
I have this exact same problem in PHX. No north or south reception. It has been getting progressively worse. I am also in for any ideas to make it better. My old $100 receivers with pucks on the dash works many times better that the factory installed unit.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:41 PM
amciner28

I ended up having my receiver/antenna replaced under warranty about two weeks ago and the reception is 1000% better. I think a lot of the cars have bad antennas in them. The radio still isn't perfect but there were whole streets that I couldn't even hear music on and now it doesn't cut out once.

the big test is going to come when I drive up to new hampshire, that's where most of my problems happened with the old antenna.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:16 PM
blueis300
Registered Member

Originally Posted by amciner28
I ended up having my receiver/antenna replaced under warranty about two weeks ago and the reception is 1000% better. I think a lot of the cars have bad antennas in them. The radio still isn't perfect but there were whole streets that I couldn't even hear music on and now it doesn't cut out once.

the big test is going to come when I drive up to new hampshire, that's where most of my problems happened with the old antenna.
Receiver as in head unit? My antenna has already been replaced and it still sucks along with the stupid resetting back to xm defaulting to preview channel 1.

Quick Reply: XM radio reception