Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Sound Upgrade Options

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 08:30 AM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by dillyyo
Clarification indeed; you refuse to acknowledge ignorance on this matter. I've seen it with my own eyes and the signal is flat. Maybe you are referring to the non-bose system, as I've heard processing occurs in the HU whereas the Bose system occurs in the amps. Nonetheless, your whole post is littered with inaccurate information and I suggest you research and learn something on the matter. It's out there.
Originally Posted by gizmo134
One thing though. I notice that on some songs (the louder ones), I think the HU will auto-volume at the top end. On quieter songs I notice a difference all the way to the top, but on louder songs, the last few volume bars don't do anything. I don't have any limiting set up in the bit one, so I'm pretty sure its actually in the HU.

^^^ this is what im talking about
Old 01-24-2013, 04:41 PM
gizmo134

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blazeplacid
Granted, I see limiting and EQ'ing differently. I agree something seems to be going on in there, but I've never noticed EQ'ing to be present. But then again, i think all the radios are different. My loaner last time I had one was non-bose, and I noticed that the volume control was much different in that it was not linear. The first few volume bars did alot, and when it got loud the sound changed. I only wish they would start doing what kia is doing, most of their new cars come with a digital, clean audio out on their stock HU's. Not used with the stock system, but if you go aftermarket your set. Lucky....
Old 01-28-2013, 10:18 PM
dillyyo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Absinthe
Curious. When I was toiling in my trunk splicing those small wires, I did notice that each signal pair was bundled together with a shield that wrapped both the positive and negative signal wires. This shield disappeared back into the wire bundle. I checked the continuity to the vehidle chassis and there was none. The moment I broke the shield wire loose and broke the connection, I noticed a bit of hum from the speakers and also noticed some fade and slight popping after awhile. I never thought to measure the level of the shield wire to the vehicle chassis though.
That wire that loops back into the bundle is actually ground and terminates back at the HU chassis. If you want to use that signal as a balanced connection then you must match up the + and -to your balanced input on your device and you must ground to this ground that heads back to the chassis. Remember, a balanced signal has the normal signal (+), it's exact inverse replica signal (-) and in this car, the ground (shield running back to HU).

I will be taking on this adventure again in the near future as I have to reinstall my system into my new G, but this time I won't be splicing a balanced cable into the signal wires as my new Zapco DSP Z8 only takes RCAs. Hopefully i don't run into noise issues, but I know it's been done many times with good results, so we will see....
Old 01-28-2013, 10:20 PM
dillyyo

Originally Posted by blazeplacid
If the Hu is eq'ing then it's not the Clarion HU in the Bose setup, but rather the base stereo. No EQ occurs in the HU of the Bose system aside from some very, very slight Auto-Loudness.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:51 PM
gizmo134

I just did my little breakout, and never had any noise issues so I think you'll be ok.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:54 PM
gizmo134

I haven't seen much about the z8, is it a good dsp unit?
Old 01-31-2013, 11:45 PM
dillyyo

Originally Posted by gizmo134
I haven't seen much about the z8, is it a good dsp unit?
I loved my DSP 6, but hated the fact that I didn't have anyway to implement sub low end cutoff, especially since i was running IB. Aside from the fact that the Z8 did away with true balanced connections, there is more resolution in the adjustable parameters and it can handle a full 4-way setup.