Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Sound Upgrade Options

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 09:09 PM
duffdaddy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you please explain how you replaced the Stock Bose amp for the aftermarket amp. I have too run my amps off of the factory bose amp too get a signal from the factory Navi Headunit.

Sound processor placed where Bose amps used to be.

Looks messy, and it is. But this is how you can go about tapping into the Bose system for your after market audio setups.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:40 PM
ATL_G
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ron James,
Did you have any mounting depth issues with those Focals? Also did you make your own adapter for the 6.5 woofer?

Duff,
Can you repost your pictures in a larger size, they are coming out very small.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:47 PM
duffdaddy

Originally Posted by ATL_G
Ron James,
Did you have any mounting depth issues with those Focals? Also did you make your own adapter for the 6.5 woofer?
I also have Focal's in my doors and there is no issue. I think I mounted mine differently than he did though. I removed the the Bose speaker and the mounting bracket the speaker screws into. Then made a piece of MDF to mount it to.

Duff,
Click on them for high res, should work
Old 12-04-2012, 03:32 AM
LORDHAVEMURPHY
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Ron James
I had it done at a shop but all they did was run the wires from the harness that went into the Bose amp into the new amp. The output from the head unit is full range. When the Cleansweep was installed afterwards, the output was wired into the Cleansweep then from the Cleansweep into the amp. You can find the wiring diagrams on this site
How is the sound quality with the cleansweep? Do you have any white noise or static/distoriation at 0 to 100 volume level?
Old 12-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Ron James

Ron James,

Duff,
Not with the K2's. Id originally gotten Focal Polyglass 165 V33 - 3 way components but the tweeter wouldn't fit without cutting, so I upgraded to the K2 Power KRX2 2 way components whose tweeter fit without any modification. The install shop built the adapter to fit the 6.5" in the 10" woofer space.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Ron James

Originally Posted by LORDHAVEMURPHY
How is the sound quality with the cleansweep? Do you have any white noise or static/distoriation at 0 to 100 volume level?
The sound quality is amazing! There are 2 ways to control volume with the Cleansweep - either set the head unit to about 75% volume and use the Cleansweep remote volume control to control volume, or set the Cleansweep remote volume control to 100% and use the head unit (or steering wheel controls) to control volume. There is a slight hiss at very low volumes if you opt to set the remote volume control at full on the Cleansweep and use the head unit to control volume. If you use the remote volume control as the primary volume control, there is no hiss.
I have mine set using the headunit/steering wheel for volume control but set the Cleansweep at about 80% of max so I don't hear any hiss at all. As for distortion...there is none at all even at full volume. These speakers are amazing. The only thing to watch for is that the speakers will pick up imperfections in the source that you wouldn't hear with lesser speakers. You can clearly hear the difference between mp3s encoded at 128 and those encoded at 320 and above. Best sound is with uncompressed, or cd.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:10 AM
LORDHAVEMURPHY
Registered Member

Thanks alot
Old 12-05-2012, 11:46 PM
SkylineV36

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal
I've heard of people upgrading the tweeters for better highs. Since stock bose bass kind of over powers the highs. Maybe try that first.
Thanks. Any advice on tweeter options?
Old 12-05-2012, 11:50 PM
SkylineV36

Originally Posted by duffdaddy
So at minimum for what your trying to do, you need: A Line level converter. Take your speaker wires from the head unit, run them into the converter => turn them into RCA's => Send RCA's to the amp and run speaker wires to the speakers, this is easy. You will need to build some custom speaker baffles to house your new speaks in the 10 inch holes in the doors. I just did this and will post pics soon.

Great bang for your buck components Infinity Kappa Perfects. Sound quality out of these is great. Suggest a Class A/B amp for components, here is one I use JL 360/2.

If you remove the 10's from the doors and put 6 1/2's in I think you may lose a decent amount of base. Honestly probably not worth the hassle. Your head unit is designed to send crappy sound signals to the crappy cardboard Bose speakers. Even putting nice speakers running on a nice amp you are still just retransmitting a bad signal from the head unit.

What I'm recommending is start looking into something like a sound processor, and an EQ. I spent a lot of time looking around and ended up getting a 3sixty.3. This will clean up the speaker signals from the head unit and let you adjust a 31 band EQ to your liking, plus it has a built in line level converter. There is a few on Ebay for $450. This is a semi complicated device if you are not familiar with tuning much beyond "base" and "treble". I will soon be making a DIY with many pictures on how to install this with high end amps/components/subs. Possibly a tuning tutorial write up or video as well.

Another thing to check out JBL MS-8. This may give you that extra punch you feel your system needs and is very easy to install. May want to check with other G owners who have this installed. See what they think of the Bose speakers running on the MS-8. I ignored this device because I think the Bose speakers are below my audio standard at this point and will be replacing or disconnecting them all. Also from what I have read Bose and all other car audio don't play nicely with each other. Research this option thoroughly if your considering it.
This may sound like a dumb question, but why would you replace the stock 10" in the doors with smaller 6 1/2"? I noticed a lot of guys on this posting are using the Focals? Is this the best sounding speaker brand and size? Is there any other speaker or tweeter options?
Old 12-06-2012, 12:12 AM
duffdaddy

Originally Posted by SkylineV36
This may sound like a dumb question, but why would you replace the stock 10" in the doors with smaller 6 1/2"? I noticed a lot of guys on this posting are using the Focals? Is this the best sounding speaker brand and size? Is there any other speaker or tweeter options?
Focals are high end and expensive, many other options are available though. I have a sound quality setup and Focals are amazing for that. A 10" sub will not really fit in the door. Bose's 10 inch in the door is very shallow, 2 inches or so. Most 10" are 4-5 inchs deep at least and would hit the window and vibrate your door like crazy. You can put anything in the door as long as it clears the window and doesn't hit the back of the door panel on the inside. Pushing beyond a 6 1/2, besides the rattle issue which may occur, may start to get tricky with space issues.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:13 AM
SkylineV36

Focals are high end and expensive, many other options are available though. I have a sound quality setup and Focals are amazing for that. A 10" sub will not really fit in the door. Bose's 10 inch in the door is very shallow, 2 inches or so. Most 10" are 4-5 inchs deep at least and would hit the window and vibrate your door like crazy. You can put anything in the door as long as it clears the window and doesn't hit the back of the door panel on the inside. Pushing beyond a 6 1/2, besides the rattle issue which may occur, may start to get tricky with space issues.
Cool, good to know. What is the max depth you can go without hitting the back of the door panel or window - 2.2"? Thx.

Last edited by SkylineV36; 12-08-2012 at 02:20 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:10 PM
duffdaddy

2 5/8 inch is the mounted depth of my speakers, which are mounted on 3/4 inch mdf. The mdf is mounted straight against the doors sheet metal, as I removed the plastic mounting plate the bose speaker screws into. Really I can't see there being an issue with any 6.5-6.75 inch speaker setup.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:51 PM
SkylineV36

2 5/8 inch is the mounted depth of my speakers, which are mounted on 3/4 inch mdf. The mdf is mounted straight against the doors sheet metal, as I removed the plastic mounting plate the bose speaker screws into. Really I can't see there being an issue with any 6.5-6.75 inch speaker setup.
Appreciate your insight man!
Old 12-11-2012, 12:27 PM
mystikal
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
im thinking about upgrading to the Alpine PDX-V9...anyone have any experience with that?
Old 01-01-2013, 05:08 PM
SkylineV36

What about the speaker in the middle of the dash? Worth swapping out?

Quick Reply: Sound Upgrade Options