Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Oem Non-Navi to Oem Navi swap possible

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 05:30 PM
michg37

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
so i've been going over the wiring diagrams compairing bose audio without nav to bose audio with nav to see the differences. Looks like it'll be a lot of fun tracing everything once all my stuff gets here.

A few questions:

Bose audio without navigation has a separate satellite radio tuner module (the antenna connects to that) while the bose audio with navigation appears to have the satellite radio tuner built in and the antenna connects directly to the av control box, did you end up finding this?

Bose audio without navigation has a separate telephone adapter unit where the microphone connects to it while the bose audio with navigation appears to have the telephone adapter unit built in and the microphone connects directly to the av control box, did you end up finding this?

Out of curiousity when the wiring diagrams reference connect "M208" is this number stamped on the connector or head unit anywhere?

Last but not least i noticed that the nav cars have 2 extra buttons on the steering wheel (ENTER & BACK) did you have to change your steering wheel or were you able to have everything work and just use the Enter and Back buttons that are in front of the screen?

Thanks, just trying to do as much prep work as i can before i get fully into it,

George

Last edited by michg37; 02-02-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:34 PM
michg37

Well i have just about everything, no gps antenna so i just ordered one of those. One question though, there are 2 connections on the nav unit that i can't figure out what they are for. There is no wiring connectors in my dash wiring that i ordered and the connections do not exist in the wiring schematics.

One is the yellowish/white connector shown the the picture below (the one above the red connector)

The other is the white connector with no writing under it in the bottom right corner of the picture.

any help would be greatly appreciated, i'm hoping they are just not used or are for diagnostics or something
Attached Thumbnails Oem Non-Navi to Oem Navi swap possible-2013-02-05_14-25-22_788.jpg  
Old 02-05-2013, 04:08 PM
bachelor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
One is probably for the backup camera...
Old 02-05-2013, 04:21 PM
michg37

nope they aren't for the backup camera. 2 wires of the backup camera go directly to the lcd screen, while the other 2 go to M209
Old 02-07-2013, 12:41 PM
Ron James

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Modme
The GPS antenna for all years are compatible.
The standard Kenwood GPS antennas are also compatible. They retail for $19.95 and up online.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:03 PM
michg37

Originally Posted by Ron James
The standard Kenwood GPS antennas are also compatible. They retail for $19.95 and up online.

$20? crap, oh well i spent $40 on OEM
I saw those i didn't know if they would work or not though
Old 02-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Abramite
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Do you have a spread sheet with all the parts accumulated so far with the cost of each?
Old 02-07-2013, 08:45 PM
michg37

No spreadsheet but this is where im at:
Nav+touch screen+nav/radio controls with trim +climate controls with trim= $650
Complete Dash wiring=$170
Gps antenna=$40

Tomorrow im going to begin on the car
Old 02-07-2013, 08:49 PM
michg37

Hope to sell current non nav stuff along with satellite tuner and telephone adapter for a few hundred. That way it ends up costing about $500
Old 02-08-2013, 01:05 PM
michg37

here is some info on things i've found out so far....first an answer to my questions that i asked earlier:

Bose audio without navigation has a separate satellite radio tuner module (the antenna connects to that) while the bose audio with navigation appears to have the satellite radio tuner built in and the antenna connects directly to the av control box, did you end up finding this? Yes, had to run an extention cable from the back of the car to the head unit

Bose audio without navigation has a separate telephone adapter unit where the microphone connects to it while the bose audio with navigation appears to have the telephone adapter unit built in and the microphone connects directly to the av control box, did you end up finding this? Yes, had to run an extention cable from the back of the car to the head unit

Out of curiousity when the wiring diagrams reference connect "M208" is this number stamped on the connector or head unit anywhere? No numbers stamped anywhere, i counted the pins and wrote on them with a sharpie

Last but not least i noticed that the nav cars have 2 extra buttons on the steering wheel (ENTER & BACK) did you have to change your steering wheel or were you able to have everything work and just use the Enter and Back buttons that are in front of the screen? don't know yet

i've been taking a lot of pictures, going to take me a few days after i'm done to put together the DYI, though it will not be for novices...and hopefully it all works when i'm done
Old 02-08-2013, 02:49 PM
Abramite
Registered Member

Originally Posted by michg37
No spreadsheet but this is where im at:
Nav+touch screen+nav/radio controls with trim +climate controls with trim= $650
Complete Dash wiring=$170
Gps antenna=$40

Tomorrow im going to begin on the car
That's not too bad, btw where did you get the harness? eBay? I'm assuming with that there will be no splicing involved?
Old 02-08-2013, 04:28 PM
michg37

Yes ebay, though i'm splicing the hell out of it. your choice is this
- you can completely dismantal your dash (and i mean completely) so that you can replace the entire dash wiring (even then you'll need to run a microphone cable from the telephone adapter and satellite antenna in the trunk to the new head unit since with the nav systems they are built in and connect directly)

- alternately you can splice the 4 connectors into the existing wiring (i'm tapping into the existing connectors, not removing them so that if this all goes to hell i can swap it back to original non nav). this can get a little crazy because you need to have the schematics of the non navi and navi sitting beside each other so you can see where all the wires go.

A side note, this does not get any easier going even if both are bose, even though the exact same connector is there for both setups for some dumb *** reason they split the wiring up into a secondary connector (M201 & M206) on the non navi systems, i have to recombine them into the 1 connector (M208). M201 and M208 are the exact same connectors except they have the speaker signal wires in M206 on the non navi systems for some reason.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:59 AM
michg37

Well all done and EVERYTHING works, this freakin rocks! It is not easy and takes a good 15 hours worth of wire splicing like mystikal said.
Going to start on the DIY later, should be ready in a few days. In terms of difficulty, if you have ever spliced into a cars existing wiring to put in an after market radio, add an amp, etc. you can do this, it'll is just a ton of wires, i think i spliced into about 50 or 60 by the time i was done.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:08 PM
Abramite
Registered Member

Originally Posted by michg37
Well all done and EVERYTHING works, this freakin rocks! It is not easy and takes a good 15 hours worth of wire splicing like mystikal said.
Going to start on the DIY later, should be ready in a few days. In terms of difficulty, if you have ever spliced into a cars existing wiring to put in an after market radio, add an amp, etc. you can do this, it'll is just a ton of wires, i think i spliced into about 50 or 60 by the time i was done.
Awesome! I am eager to see your DIY ..
Old 02-10-2013, 04:26 PM
NJ Torque
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Awesome... Glad to see some info on this.

Quick Reply: Oem Non-Navi to Oem Navi swap possible