Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Oem Non-Navi to Oem Navi swap possible

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 12:13 PM
mystikal
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jacobcartmill
(this is my first post)

any of you guys know of a HOWTO for upgrading the 2008 NAVI/screen to the 2010+ ?
i would love the higher res screen and navi/video system.
i have been searching around on here and haven't been able to find anyone who has actually said what to do.
i'd hate to go purchase all 2010+ stuff and have none of it work because of an incompatibility/plugs difference.

anyone?
It is possible, If you took out your unit and compared it to the 2010-2012 Av unit then it would give you a better understanding of how it looks...I believe on the new AV unit there is a RGB connector (which is a brown plug) that is used on the new models...
Its NOT a PLUG IN PLAY set up even to do that..

Originally Posted by 09ChiG37
Killer!!!
thanks!

Originally Posted by Ron James
I have a 2011 Nav AV unit and button plate FS if anyone's interested. Just PM me. I was going to do this upgrade but no one around here knows how to do it so I gave up. I don't have the wiring harness though.
how much?? pm a price thanks
Old 12-01-2012, 03:31 PM
jacobcartmill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so any idea how much it would cost to just replace all the 08-09 stuff with 10-11 stuff? (used of course)

i'm wondering if there is any splicing involved if i already have bose 08 stuff and want to upgrade to the 10-11 stuff.
i really want that higher res screen and rgb inputs.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:21 AM
SgtGoldy

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
^Same question
Old 12-04-2012, 10:35 AM
mystikal
Registered Member

As far as price, I got my entire set up for under $500.00. I ended up finding a salvage car and got all of my parts from the car including the pigtails, some I needed and some I didnt need...
I would probably just pull your unit out and as I stated on the first post, check out the FSM site to see how similar the units are, and what is missing from your unit.

I would just look around for parts, I know for sure you'll need the new AV unit, Screen and A/c face plate...Not sure if youll need the bezel around the Screen though...

Check out my ad, I might have a couple things you may need..if you are looking to do the swap.

FS: 2010-2012 g37 radio parts - G35Driver

Originally Posted by jacobcartmill
so any idea how much it would cost to just replace all the 08-09 stuff with 10-11 stuff? (used of course)

i'm wondering if there is any splicing involved if i already have bose 08 stuff and want to upgrade to the 10-11 stuff.
i really want that higher res screen and rgb inputs.
Originally Posted by SgtGoldy
^Same question
Old 12-04-2012, 11:27 AM
SgtGoldy

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
So I cant find a salvage to save my life. How did you find one?
Old 12-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Ron James

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Salvage vehicles aren't that easy to find. I got my parts off ebay but it cost me a lot more than Mystikal. You only need the ac bezel if you have an '08 or early '09 that has a flash card slot. I don't have enough posts to post in the FS section but have a Nav AV unit and button plate if you're interested. I don't want to advertise on here because it's against the TOS.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:07 PM
mystikal
Registered Member

If your not in a rush look around for it...I guess it was just my luck to find two sellers around my area (200 mile range lol)

Originally Posted by Ron James
Salvage vehicles aren't that easy to find. I got my parts off ebay but it cost me a lot more than Mystikal. You only need the ac bezel if you have an '08 or early '09 that has a flash card slot. I don't have enough posts to post in the FS section but have a Nav AV unit and button plate if you're interested. I don't want to advertise on here because it's against the TOS.
correct youll need the new face plate WITHOUT The slot A/V unit, and Screen...Also You'll need the RGB cord which I have an extra one for sale...on g35driver...
If you already have NAVI your Screen bezel with buttons will work just fine...
Old 12-10-2012, 05:03 PM
advan37

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have different question , I have 2008 coupe w/navi , how can I change the US map to another country map? Do I have just to change the HD unit with another one ? Or any other way to reprogram it ?
Old 12-11-2012, 12:23 PM
mystikal
Registered Member

I think thats a pretty easy dealer question...
I would guess that there is a DVD/CD for the maps your looking for

Originally Posted by advan37
I have different question , I have 2008 coupe w/navi , how can I change the US map to another country map? Do I have just to change the HD unit with another one ? Or any other way to reprogram it ?
Old 12-11-2012, 09:02 PM
airman20012001

this is amazing I called an infiniti garage they said it couldnt be done for under ten thousand said the whole car would need rewired. much props and what would it cos to fly you out and have you swap mine
Old 12-12-2012, 09:28 AM
warpeacelove

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by airman20012001
this is amazing I called an infiniti garage they said it couldnt be done for under ten thousand said the whole car would need rewired. much props and what would it cos to fly you out and have you swap mine
INFINTI G35/G37 2007-2010 NAVIGATION VIDEO INTERFACE

Is the Navtool needed for this sort of project?
Old 12-12-2012, 10:17 AM
mystikal
Registered Member

I could possible take around half that amount^^

Originally Posted by warpeacelove
INFINTI G35/G37 2007-2010 NAVIGATION VIDEO INTERFACE

Is the Navtool needed for this sort of project?
I didnt use that product...thats an add on it you needed to add a back up camera or inputs..
My car had a back up camera already..and the AV unit/Navi unit has a DVD drive/cd/mp3 drive already..So no you dont really need that.
If your car doesn't have a back up camera then you could probably install the OEM backup camera with the new AV unit...it shouldn't be too difficult.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:48 AM
warpeacelove

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by mystikal
I could possible take around half that amount^^

I didnt use that product...thats an add on it you needed to add a back up camera or inputs..
My car had a back up camera already..and the AV unit/Navi unit has a DVD drive/cd/mp3 drive already..So no you dont really need that.
If your car doesn't have a back up camera then you could probably install the OEM backup camera with the new AV unit...it shouldn't be too difficult.
Thanks Mystikal.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Ron James

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah even the discount OEM outlets list the price of just the NAV headunit at over 4 grand.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:12 PM
DMN

Originally Posted by mystikal

Hi, first time poster here. I've been looking through the MyG37 forums to find out how to retrofit my Journey G37 Sedan (Bose system but no Navi) with a rear backup camera. I had hoped that I could use the OEM camera, found one on eBay and picked up the chrome trunk lid from a local salvage yard to make it look stock.

I just found out today while disassembling the console and trunk that the wiring harness in the trunk only has two wires (Green/Black) at Pin 1 & 4. According to the 2008 and 2010 Infiniti Service Manuals (couldn't find the 2009), the wiring harness should have 3 cables (plus shield) - configuration is 1 Camera On Signal/ 2 GND/ 3 Camera Image Signal/ 4 Shield. I pulled the black tape pretty far to make sure the wiring wasn't just cut short but it doesn't exist. My assumption is that the power for the camera and shield are available, but the image and ground are not.

I'm posting this just in case someone searches because they wanted to do the same thing I did. I didn't want to run a wire from the trunk to the AV control unit but it looks like the 2009 Journey/Bose doesn't have the necessary wiring in the harness.

Quick Reply: Oem Non-Navi to Oem Navi swap possible