Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

SQ sound setup

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 12:36 AM
duffdaddy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SQ sound setup

So I'm looking at throwing in some of my stereo equipment from my other cars I sold. Hopefully to save myself some time or possible headaches I can get some pointers from you guys. Overall goal with my setup is SQ.

Here's what I'm working with:
Sub
"12 Alpine type X
"12 Alpine Type R - most likely not part of this build
Sub amp
JL HD1200/1
Door speakers
6-3/4" focal PS
6-1/2" infinity kappa perfects
Component amps
JL JX360/2
Sony XM-ZR1252 - old
Jenson XA2125 - very old
Battery/Wires
2 gauge dual amp wiring kit
Optima yellowtop - not sure if this battery can be dropped into the car or not.

Think I'm going to start with running wires sometime this week. Then build a box (sealed) for the 12 over the weekend, hook it up and see if I'm happy or if adding my components is needed. Few questions I kinda wanted to figure out before I get started on anything.

So from what I read so far, Bose has 2 amps in the trunk?

The speaker signal inputs from the headunit to the amps are speaker wires, not RCA's? if so, get a line level converter? High or low level?

Nice spots for two 4AWG grounds in the trunk? - I have a nice lug nut I could put in too if needed.

Anyone who has added subs had any major rattle spots that needed to be taken care of? Mainly concerned with the rear decklid rattles. I'm sure license plate will need a small amount of attention.

Any other things that you feel I should know before jumping into this, I'm all ears.

Edit: just ordered the FR 3Sixty.3

Last edited by duffdaddy; 11-15-2012 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Add supplies
Old 11-14-2012, 02:52 AM
LORDHAVEMURPHY
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audiocontrol LCQ-1
Old 11-14-2012, 09:51 PM
duffdaddy

Originally Posted by LORDHAVEMURPHY
Audiocontrol LCQ-1
Thanks for posting this. Even though you didn't provide much info with it. By looking at it I came to the realization I need an EQ... and a sound processor on top of the line level converter.

Was looking around and the RF 3sixty3 I believe would accomplish everything I would need. What you guys think?
Old 12-02-2012, 03:43 AM
duffdaddy

Posting pictures of the install updates here. Just need to be logged into your facebook to view.

More pictures to come in the next few days...
Old 12-11-2012, 10:54 PM
airman20012001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn you took on alot, I'm looking forward to seeing this done.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:24 AM
duffdaddy

Originally Posted by airman20012001
Damn you took on alot, I'm looking forward to seeing this done.
Actually this is done. Haven't fully put my trunk back together yet. Just 4 panels on the sides and roof of the trunk left. Want to get my distribution block moved in case I blow the 100w fuse. I'll get motivated to clean the trunk up for a few pics/vids here by this weekend.

Really the hard part for me is tuning. I can get it to sound good but I keep ending up with a dead spot in my bass when transitioning from sub to mid bass. Have to drive to a random parking lot and cant have the car running when I'm tuning. So really hoping I don't kill my battery while sitting in a parking lot blasting music for 45+ minutes while tuning.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:51 AM
ashmostro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
What did you do to bypass the factory XO since you are running a two way setup vs three way?

Nice work.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:58 PM
airman20012001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the stereo system might be my only mod, so im really looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

I've had a hard time finding good set ups for this car for one the trunk is super small, its a classy car so you dont just want to chop it up.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:27 AM
duffdaddy

Originally Posted by ashmostro
What did you do to bypass the factory XO since you are running a two way setup vs three way?

Nice work.
Just put the tweeter in the 3inch hole. Had to make a small custom piece of wood to mount it to.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:31 AM
duffdaddy

Originally Posted by airman20012001
I think the stereo system might be my only mod, so im really looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

I've had a hard time finding good set ups for this car for one the trunk is super small, its a classy car so you dont just want to chop it up.
The coupe has a small trunk, very true. Yea i didn't do anything that couldn't be undone. I did chop up 2 of the Bose wire harnesses. But they can be put back together if I wanted to sell the car.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:49 AM
ashmostro

Originally Posted by duffdaddy
Just put the tweeter in the 3inch hole. Had to make a small custom piece of wood to mount it to.
Yes, but presumably you now have a gap in response between the midbass and the tweeter that the missing midrange used to cover, no?

My question isn't about where you mounted the speakers but about the frequencies being delivered to them.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:34 AM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
try these

http://www.car-speaker-adapters.com/items.php?id=SAK085

I ordered some, im going to install them saturday
Old 12-13-2012, 02:07 PM
duffdaddy

Originally Posted by ashmostro
Yes, but presumably you now have a gap in response between the midbass and the tweeter that the missing midrange used to cover, no?

My question isn't about where you mounted the speakers but about the frequencies being delivered to them.
I don't feel like I'm missing anything, but either way its far and away better than the Bose system. Tuning a 3 way component system with a 31 band EQ would be a NIIGHTMARE for me. My components sound great currently. Getting the bass to blend perfectly from the sub to the midbass is where I'm having a little issue. But this is my first 31 band tuning experience.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:11 PM
ashmostro

Are you running the stock amps? Where are you intercepting the signal?

Appreciate the firsthand info.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:13 PM
ashmostro

Btw, try inverting (or tuning, if your eq can do that) phase at the sub if you don't have time delay. Could be why you're having trouble there.

Quick Reply: SQ sound setup