Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

1st Issue - USB is Dead/Bluetooth Streaming

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 08:55 PM
DaCePtak0n

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
1st Issue - USB is Dead/Bluetooth Streaming

So 1st issue, I've been effin pissed off with my USB drive just constantly having me to unplug and plug the USB drive back in order to read it so I went out and bought a new one. It has been doing the same thing and now it's just at 'Check your USB memory or iPod." So I ask you kind folks, am I doing something wrong?

Secondly, how do I get the Bluetooth streaming option to work?

I'll be picking up my plates during this week so I will have to have them address this then
Old 10-02-2012, 10:15 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
I get the error message with a new Nano, not sure what the problem is though.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:48 AM
DaCePtak0n

No one can shed light on the Bluetooth issue at least?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:59 AM
CRV_33
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rks
I get the error message with a new Nano, not sure what the problem is though.
Did they already release that model?
Old 10-04-2012, 09:41 AM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by CRV_33
Did they already release that model?
sorry, didn't realize there was a new new one. I actually have the older square one that you can use as a watch.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:40 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
@DaCePtak0n
- you didn't tell us if your issue is when using a thumb drive, iPod(type), iPhone(#) or all/other.
- if the problem is with the USB port, it will be fixed under warranty so don't worry about it.

Setting up a BT audio connection is very easy.
--- On your preferred device, enable BT and turn discoverable to 'on'
--- Press the cars Settings button followed by touching Bluetooth-> Connect Bluetooth -> No.
--- Type your chosen 4 digit PIN code (can be anything you want like 1234).
--- Your device should discover the car BT and prompt you to retype the PIN you just created.

BTW - it's all in the OM, (Pg 4-66 in my 2011 manual)
Old 10-04-2012, 11:11 PM
DaCePtak0n

My bluetooth is connected to my phone but when I press SAT/AUX multiple times, it takes me to another Bluetooth capability to stream audio but it's not working. I have an iPhone 4 btw

As stated "USB drive just constantly having me to unplug and plug the USB"
Old 10-05-2012, 05:11 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Originally Posted by DaCePtak0n
My bluetooth is connected to my phone but when I press SAT/AUX multiple times, it takes me to another Bluetooth capability to stream audio but it's not working. I have an iPhone 4 btw

As stated "USB drive just constantly having me to unplug and plug the USB"
Wait a second...SAT and AUX are separate buttons. You should only cycle through the modes on the Disc/Aux button until the display shows USB
BT phone connection is a different setup than BT audio streaming.

You can actually connect two different devices at the same time. For example you can connect your phone for making phone calls and connect an iPod Touch to the BT Audio streaming.
Just follow the instructions for connecting to BT Audio Streaming.

Last edited by rpm&my_G35; 10-05-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:23 AM
Brian Thompson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The USB issue ***could*** be caused by the file system format (check owner's manual, but FAT16 or FAT32 is probably best) or the format of the files. DRM on the audio files could also cause them not to play at all.

I also imagine that a large USB drive could present issues to a system as basic as the one in the G37. If you have anything bigger than a 4 GB USB drive, try the 4 GB drive or smaller and see if that gives you less trouble.

Another thing that could be causing the problem is heat. If your USB drive sits in your car on a hot day, it could degrade the USB drive's performance to the point of not working.

According to what I've read in other posts on this forum, bluetooth audio streaming with the G37 has never been smooth. I highly recommend a direct connection to the headset jack using the auxilary input. It's less convenient, but you'll save your battery and get slightly better audio quality.

-Brian
Old 10-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Brian Thompson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're still interested in setting up A2DP bluetooth audio streaming, check your owner's manual. It's in there.

-Brian
Old 10-06-2012, 06:41 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Brian Thompson
The USB issue ***could*** be caused by the file system format (check owner's manual, but FAT16 or FAT32 is probably best) or the format of the files. DRM on the audio files could also cause them not to play at all.

I also imagine that a large USB drive could present issues to a system as basic as the one in the G37. If you have anything bigger than a 4 GB USB drive, try the 4 GB drive or smaller and see if that gives you less trouble.

Another thing that could be causing the problem is heat. If your USB drive sits in your car on a hot day, it could degrade the USB drive's performance to the point of not working.

According to what I've read in other posts on this forum, bluetooth audio streaming with the G37 has never been smooth. I highly recommend a direct connection to the headset jack using the auxilary input. It's less convenient, but you'll save your battery and get slightly better audio quality.

-Brian
FYI...I use a 32GB SanDisk Cruzer Fit (fat32) in my G and rarely ever remove it. No issue at all.
When I BT stream from my BB or my kids' iPod touch, its smooth and the sound quality if good.

Last edited by rpm&my_G35; 10-06-2012 at 06:47 PM.