Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Help No Audio File - CF card stopped working in 08 G37S Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 08:54 PM
Bernard2012
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Audio File - CF card stopped working in 08 G37S Coupe

I have a 2008 G37S Coupe and I decided to update the music on my CF card so that I can have new music to listen too. When I finished copying the folders of MP3's to my 2GB CF card and plugged it in I got a message saying "No audio file." Then took my CF card back to my PC, reformatted it, and copied just one folder that I know was on there before and tried it. I got the same message. Then I reformatted again and copied just 1 file. It still did the same thing.

I don't know what to do. It was working just fine before and now it doesn't work at all no matter what files I put on my CF card.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:15 PM
Bernard2012
Premier Member

Looks like I'm a moron

I formatted it as NTFS not FAT16 or FAT32. I'm trying FAT32 now, hopefully that works on an 08.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:25 PM
Brian Thompson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bernard2012
I formatted it as NTFS not FAT16 or FAT32. I'm trying FAT32 now, hopefully that works on an 08.
Good thing you caught that. That was the first thing I was going to ask.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:57 PM
Bernard2012
Premier Member

I solved another issue too

Yea FAT32 was the trick. And I found a solution to another issue that was really bugging me. My car never plays files in the order I expect them to, but I just found out that there are utilities that can sort MP3 files on a FAT32 filesystem. They do carry the risk of corrupting the file system (so have a back up), but they work.

There is:
Fat Sorter - Story: FAT Sorter v1.0.4 - Fenux.Net
DriveSort - Anerty's Lair - DriveSort
FatSort - Ubuntu Manpage: FATSort - FAT filesystem sorting utility

The first two are for Windows and the last one is for Linux. I couldn't get the Linux one to work.

Fat Sorter for Windows worked partly, but after number 11 in a folder it just gets it wrong, those files remain unsorted.

DriveSort for Windows works perfectly, but the UI stinks. It is tedious but at least you get to see exactly what the results will be before you write the changes. The steps to using are:
1) run DriveSort
2) plug in your CF card in a card reader
3) Click the open disk icon (it's the first on the top left)
4) Select your CF card
5) Click the down arrow next to the sort icon (it's the third button from the top left)
6) Make sure Long Name Sort is checked
7) For each directory on your CF card follow step 8 (yea this sucks, it should automatically do this but I haven't figured out how)
8) Click a folder and then click Sort from the Folder menu.
9) Verify that all of the files are in the order you want them (click through the folders to see this)
10) Click the play button (it's a blue arrow in a circle)

If anyone knows a better way to reliably sort MP3 files then I'll gladly take that advice. Until then I'll need to work on making a better utility because the current stuff stinks.