Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Tech package question

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 07:55 PM
princessTeresa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tech package question

Don't mind me if this question maybe has been asked before I am new. I have a 2008 g37s coupe. I got a good deal on it but the only thing it didn't have was my technology package with gps Bluetooth and iPod hookup. I was wondering how much do you think and how big of a job would it be to switch over and put that package in my car? Is there any other ways I can go to fufill my techie needs? Im a pretty big techie to point if i could I'd direct a computer to my car LOL I have right now apple composite AV cords but it really bugs be having to unlock my IPhone and switch songs manually. I have almost got in so many accidents doing it. The GPS thru a screen in my car and not with another object with screen but on my main screen w gps and Bluetooth too would b a life savor too. Any help??
Old 08-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
You can't add all of the features of the Technology package to a car that doesn't come with it. Features include AFS headlights, Intelligent Cruise Control, precrash seat belt tensioners, and something else I can't remember. I think the iPod connection is a part of the Premium pkg, not tech. The integrated navigation is a part of the Nav package. Is you car a base model?

Last edited by Black Betty; 08-13-2012 at 09:27 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-12-2012, 10:03 PM
princessTeresa

Sport package with the wheels and performance tire and wheel package also. No prem or nav or tech :/
Old 08-13-2012, 09:30 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Not feasible to add any of the features of Tech or Premium packages. Can it be done? I suppose. Is it very difficult and prohibitively expensive? Yes. Has it been done before? Not that I'm aware of.

On 08 the Tech package required having the Nav package which required having the Premium package.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:58 AM
princessTeresa

Is there any way to maybe buy the ipod hook up cord and still be a install to what I have in there now??
Old 08-13-2012, 09:59 AM
stanv

Exactly what Black Betty said. You're looking to add the Premium and Navi packages.
That would be really pricey and tough in every way
Old 08-13-2012, 02:44 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by princessTeresa
Is there any way to maybe buy the ipod hook up cord and still be a install to what I have in there now??
There is probably a fairly simple solution to iPod hookup. I'm just not the guy to ask because mine came with those packages where it's already integrated. Hopefully someone else who has done this can chime it. Good luck.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:27 PM
AllentownG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Teresa,

Are you sure your car doesn't also have the Premium package? My understanding was that if you have any of the 'upgraded' packages (sport, nav, or tech), your car also has the premium package. I could be mistaken though, as I'm not very familiar with the base model G. Easiest way to tell -- do you have a sun roof? If yes, you have premium.

If you're looking for an all-in-one system for GPS, bluetooth, other features, etc., there's a company called Intraphex (aka Directus) who makes a system called the Prodigy One. Here's a few links:

Site: INTEGRATED PRODIGY ONE.2 NAVIGATION SYSTEMS | Car Navigation systems, connected car products, Total Vehicle Technologies,
Infiniti OEM Kit: PRODIGY ONE.2 NISSAN / INFINITI KIT | Car Navigation systems, connected car products, Total Vehicle Technologies,

There were a couple of folks on here who had these, though I haven't heard anything in quite a while about it.

If you're only looking to add an integrated GPS unit, Garmin makes a unit (Model number: GVN-53) that'll connect to your factory display. It's not touchscreen though and retails around $500 or so (give or take 100.)

As for the iPod hookup -- Does your car have an Aux port in the center console? If it does, just grab a an iPod-to-composite cable and you're golden. (Composite Cable for iPod - Includes Griffin PowerBlock - Griffin Technology -- as an example). If not, there may be an adapter that will provide an iPod interface to the factory stereo. I'm not certain there, as I've got a 2010 with a built-in-usb-port. Hope that helps. Also, welcome to the forums.