Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Ideal Audio Setup?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 03:11 PM
chicago_animal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideal Audio Setup?

After 3 months of driving my 2012 G37, I decided I need to get new speakers. The Bose aren't doing it for me. I forgot what came with my 06 Charger but they blew this setup away.

Basically I was wondering what would be your ideal setup for the car? I listen to Rock majority of the time and the only thing I don't want is a sub from the 90s that everyone hears.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:15 PM
Ricky

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the Bose in mine isnt that bad after all the adjustments i did. but it did lack bass at higher volumes, so i added a Alpine 8" in a ported box. small enough to where i didnt lose barely any space but added the bass i needed.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:54 PM
revealer

I have infinity 6.5 components in front
Infinity 6x9 in the back
Jl300/4 jl500/1 amps
Two 10 in RF p2 and it sounds clean
And I still have trunk space...
Old 10-14-2012, 02:42 AM
djrobx

"A sub from the 90s that everyone hears"

What does that mean? You can design a system to respond however you want it to. You had choices of different subs and enclosure types in the 90s, and that hasn't changed today. The only real difference I see is that amplifiers have become smaller and run cooler, making them easier to hide.

In my opinion the biggest problem with the Infiniti Bose system is the poor quality tweeters. I'd swear these systems were designed by people who can no longer can hear high frequencies. Even if you do nothing else, just replacing the tweeters alone makes a world of difference. Many people have had good luck with the Infinity 2 ohm tweeters.

Once you do this upgrade, it will highlight what's missing on the low end. You can add a small amp and sub to the system to get it without disturbing the rest. Even a 250W amp pushing an 8" in a sealed enclosure would probably give you the right amount of thump for rock music without taking much space. Doing so will also allow you to turn down the bass, which will relieve stress from the rest of the existing Bose system.

To fully replace the speakers you probably need to look at a bigger re-design of the audio system. A new set of speakers will likely need an aftermarket amp to push them. Most are 4 ohm. The Bose expects 2 ohm speakers so the results will be weak without replacing the Bose amp. I would look at doing this primarily if you don't feel the Bose system gets loud enough for your tastes. Otherwise I'd recommend starting with the tweeters+subs route, and continue to build from there if you feel its necessary.