Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

New project: Android OS on the G37 screen

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 12:45 PM
chlutz214
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slickg37
Do you think with a full charge, that it could push the heat to the next level and get the parts to hot?
full charge would only really heat up the phone a little bit more just like it does when you plug it in to pc vs charger in ur house... if heat is really a serious problem for u then look out on the streets for an old pc someones throwing out, and rip the heatsink off of something in it lol. as long as u use the thermal gel stuff (like artic 5) you could just stick it right onto the case and it will help a bit lol. but really this stuff shouldnt get hot enough to melt wire or anything...
Old 06-21-2012, 12:50 PM
slickg37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ Thanks, I may have to order all those parts and try this out. It's a really good idea and I am glad it worked.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:04 PM
cribbsjy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have updated one of my posts on the first page with more pictures of the install.

Note that the image displayed on the dash is slightly chopped off on the edges, when compared to the image on the phone. Hardly anything is lost when using Google Navigation, though, so it isn't a big deal in my opinion.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:23 PM
htran16

pretty cool that it worked, but no music while the navigation is on right?
Old 06-21-2012, 07:53 PM
cribbsjy

Originally Posted by htran16
pretty cool that it worked, but no music while the navigation is on right?
That's what pandora is for. Or I can play the music that is on my phone.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:24 PM
chlutz214
Registered Member

Originally Posted by cribbsjy
That's what pandora is for. Or I can play the music that is on my phone.
+1. also if you dont care about the gps voice you can plug w/e u want into the sound aux ports and just not plug in the phone sound. also you can just like switch back and forth just to like see where u are.

ordering parts right now, sadly ups doesnt deliver on weekends so mine will be here monday
Old 06-22-2012, 02:27 PM
Tek-C
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought you have to have the parking brake engaged, or be in park, in order to enable video playback from the aux ports.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:11 PM
cribbsjy

Originally Posted by Tek-C
correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought you have to have the parking brake engaged, or be in park, in order to enable video playback from the aux ports.
You are correct. That's why i said in the OP that the unmentionable must be performed.
The following users liked this post:
Etiennear (01-01-2022)
Old 06-22-2012, 05:58 PM
htran16

nicely done.

I have a rookie question: why does the android phone need the converter box for this mod, but the iphone doesn't?
Old 06-22-2012, 11:21 PM
chlutz214
Registered Member

Originally Posted by htran16
nicely done.

I have a rookie question: why does the android phone need the converter box for this mod, but the iphone doesn't?
androids do not have analog out, only digital.
the ipods offer a connector for the charger port that turns into analog RCA cables that they sell in stores, but on ipods you may have to jailbreak them to allow it to show its video through it.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:48 AM
Alkatraz

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Don't want to burst your bubble but I actually have a similar setup and am able to use the OEM touch screen to control the phone as well. With my cars system being completely in Japanese the Nav system is obviously useless so this was the perfect (almost) solution.

I am in the process of making some final changes and will also be going on holidays soon, but may be able to post a video of the system in action, before I go.

Once again, this is only really a useful option if you have done the unmentionable.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:23 PM
chlutz214
Registered Member

so i got my parts today... i ordered the same converter box as OP, but i received a different unit that required a different power cord so the usb power i bought with it diddnt work either... ran an extension cord to my car to try it and the unit displayed video on my screen for less than a minute before crapping out, and the picture it did show was grainy black and white. troubleshooted everything, phone worked fine, cables worked fine, the unit was clearly the problem... gonna return it and order a new one from a different seller and hope i have better luck.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:57 PM
cribbsjy

Originally Posted by chlutz214
androids do not have analog out, only digital.
the ipods offer a connector for the charger port that turns into analog RCA cables that they sell in stores, but on ipods you may have to jailbreak them to allow it to show its video through it.
Correct, to duplicate your screen through the Video-Out on an iPhone, you need to jailbreak the phone.

Originally Posted by Alkatraz
Don't want to burst your bubble but I actually have a similar setup and am able to use the OEM touch screen to control the phone as well. With my cars system being completely in Japanese the Nav system is obviously useless so this was the perfect (almost) solution.

I am in the process of making some final changes and will also be going on holidays soon, but may be able to post a video of the system in action, before I go.

Once again, this is only really a useful option if you have done the unmentionable.
Au contrare, bubble not bursted. I do not have an OEM touch screen, so your solution wouldn't be any different than mine for my application.

Update:

I have performed the unmentionable (with the wife's assistance) on Saturday. Drive around with the nav unit, and it works well. I need to figure out which component is "fuzzing" the image sporadically. Not sure if it is a cable or the converter box -- hopefully it is a cable.

But I can 100% verify that the setup works as expected. My buddy even loaded up Angry Birds (we were in a housing complex, not on the open road) and we got a good laugh out of it
Old 06-25-2012, 02:00 PM
cribbsjy

My next step is to (somehow) open up my center console, so I can put the hardware under the cupholders and armrest. I intend on running the MHL cable under the center console, and through a hole that I intend on dremmeling out of the ash tray. That way, when I don't need the cable, it can be tucked nicely into the ash tray. Not sure when I will get around to this next portion, but I will definitely post pics when it is done.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:11 PM
AllReD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alkatraz

Alkatraz, you need to speak some more. I too have JDM Skyline and would love to know what you did.

Nav is useless.

Quick Reply: New project: Android OS on the G37 screen