Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

mpg display on the nav map screen

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 03:12 PM
sharkman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mpg display on the nav map screen

So on my 2012G37XS with the nav package, I am able to display the MPG in real time while I'm driving on the map screen.. It's cool and visually shows a yellow mileage bar moving up or down as I depress or release the accelerator while driving.

Every once in a while when I start the car, and start driving, that display doesn't show that yellow bar at all.. although the mileage per gallon changes, no bar. When I stop and restart the car, it comes back.. It's happened twice to me in the past 6 months since I got the car... Has it happened to anyone else and if so, has it been reported to Infiniti?

thanks
sharkman
Old 06-09-2012, 03:28 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Maybe the car is still in open loop mode. How soon after you start it does it start to indicate a reading?

I normally keep mind either in gps mode or playlist (usb). I don't expect to have accurate readings until the car is fully warmed up after at least 3-4 miles of driving.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:46 PM
rlo
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I noticed last two fillups that the miles left till empty readout is not accurate.

For instance when I went to get gas on my last fill up it said about 200 miles for the status button. After fill up it only went to 263 then as I drove it slowly creeped up about 5 or 10 miles every few minutes.

Usually after a fillup that number goes to 360-380.

The gas needle gauge is showing correctly at F. Anyone have this strange behavior?
Old 09-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Youngboss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rlo
I noticed last two fillups that the miles left till empty readout is not accurate.

For instance when I went to get gas on my last fill up it said about 200 miles for the status button. After fill up it only went to 263 then as I drove it slowly creeped up about 5 or 10 miles every few minutes.

Usually after a fillup that number goes to 360-380.

The gas needle gauge is showing correctly at F. Anyone have this strange behavior?
Yes this happened to me as well. And I'm not sure how to fix it. I just filled up the tank fully and it shows the gas "range" on the dash at 300 Km. Which is impossible. If someone knows why or can help me fix this issue that would be great. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:00 PM
monty2003
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You guys think too much. MPG changes as you drive --- going fast, going slow, going uphill/downhill, weather, etc. For that reason your miles to empty or range will change. Have you ever driven on the highway to almost empty with range showing 20 miles or so and then pulled off an begin city driving? It goes to --- (or 0 miles) in a hurry.

The number changes as the algorithm Infiniti uses recalculates updates the range.

Brian
Old 09-11-2013, 05:25 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by sharkman
So on my 2012G37XS with the nav package, I am able to display the MPG in real time while I'm driving on the map screen.. It's cool and visually shows a yellow mileage bar moving up or down as I depress or release the accelerator while driving.

Every once in a while when I start the car, and start driving, that display doesn't show that yellow bar at all.. although the mileage per gallon changes, no bar. When I stop and restart the car, it comes back.. It's happened twice to me in the past 6 months since I got the car... Has it happened to anyone else and if so, has it been reported to Infiniti?

thanks
sharkman
Mine never comes up upon starting my vehicle. I have to press info first on the nav screen.

The best I've done on my 50 miles drive to work after fillup
On a cool 63 degree summer morning with 37% humidity

Name:  2013-08-10MyPictures081013007_zps02a600c6.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  30.6 KB

Name:  2013-08-31MyPictures083113008_zps9770f341.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  64.6 KB

Usually by the time its time to fill up again after 350 miles or so I average 24 to 25 MPG

Telcoman
Old 09-11-2013, 08:34 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 230 Posts
I think you easily get the best mileage on the forum. Is this mostly freeway driving at say 60-65mph? Here in CA, you will get run over if you do under 70mph, not to mention our fuel is some of the worst quality in the states due to emissions additives(I lived in TX with the same car, so I saw the difference firsthand)

I notice that when I am back in Maryland visiting family, all of the rental cars I drive get amazing mileage because you have to do 55mph there in most places because there are cops hiding behind every bush with radar. Here in Socal, you tend to just follow the flow of traffic, which is normally 70+ (not the best for mileage).
Old 09-12-2013, 02:54 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
I think you easily get the best mileage on the forum. Is this mostly freeway driving at say 60-65mph? Here in CA, you will get run over if you do under 70mph, not to mention our fuel is some of the worst quality in the states due to emissions additives(I lived in TX with the same car, so I saw the difference firsthand)

I notice that when I am back in Maryland visiting family, all of the rental cars I drive get amazing mileage because you have to do 55mph there in most places because there are cops hiding behind every bush with radar. Here in Socal, you tend to just follow the flow of traffic, which is normally 70+ (not the best for mileage).
Although the speed limit is 55, 65 is acceptable on the Parkway and Turnpike to avoid being pulled over. There is currently a bill pending to raise the speed limit to 70 on toll roads.

Someone a while back posted that using cruise control lowers MPG by a mile or two and I found that to be true. I no longer use cruise control on my 100 mile round trip to work.

Telcoman
Old 09-12-2013, 10:02 PM
dotmichael
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by telcoman
Although the speed limit is 55, 65 is acceptable on the Parkway and Turnpike to avoid being pulled over. There is currently a bill pending to raise the speed limit to 70 on toll roads.

Someone a while back posted that using cruise control lowers MPG by a mile or two and I found that to be true. I no longer use cruise control on my 100 mile round trip to work.

Telcoman

I've asked you a time or two before how you get such incredible mileage. I havent reset mine in 6k miles but it still reads from 17.3 to 18.1

What are your average speeds? I'm driving consistently 15-20% over the speed limit most of the time. On a 25 minute trip on the turnpike this weekend I was doing a steady 90-100

I've noticed the car does remarkably well below 70 but

I dont support cruise control giving you the best mileage. When its on an incline it simply doesnt know how to modulate the throttle IMO so I seldom use it