Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Bluetooth Streaming Audio

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bluetooth Streaming Audio

I have it in 12'. I like it a lot. Works very well.

You don't have ipod control with it though. Just play/pause.

1. Is there any updates to the system out there that would give me contorl over my device? (My guess is No)

2. Is it something that Carmakers/Infiniti will upgrade in the future? (My guess is Yes)

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't alone in the lack of contorl of my iphone with Bluetooth Audio.

I'm all about simplifying things. I have/had a ipod classic that I used via USB, but then I can wireless update it as my library grows. I also don't want to buy another iOS device just to be able to wirelessly update.

Mike S.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:23 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
1. no updates
2. anything's possible

BT connection just does Play/Pause to my phone media player as well.
If it's an iPhone I trust that you plug it in to the USB port?
Old 06-04-2012, 12:18 PM
jepva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don't get control through bluetooth other than play/pause and in some cases track skip. This is how it is with everything I'm pretty sure, as that's a limit to the bluetooth specification and not anything to do with the oem unit.

however, if you plug your ipod in of course, you'll have full control and song titles etc. and fwiw, the Infiniti system has one of the best Ipod integrations out there for an oem.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:30 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jepva
You don't get control through bluetooth other than play/pause and in some cases track skip. This is how it is with everything I'm pretty sure, as that's a limit to the bluetooth specification and not anything to do with the oem unit.

however, if you plug your ipod in of course, you'll have full control and song titles etc. and fwiw, the Infiniti system has one of the best Ipod integrations out there for an oem.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'everything'.

BT is not as limited as your comment suggests. It has the ability/potential to do much more than just Play/Pause and Skip.

The BT control that my Blackberry has over my Playbook (QNX) is phenomenal. QNX is already in many car brands, including Infinitis.

Google 'QNX Porsche'
Old 06-04-2012, 03:55 PM
jepva

Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
I'm not sure what you mean by 'everything'.

BT is not as limited as your comment suggests. It has the ability/potential to do much more than just Play/Pause and Skip.

The BT control that my Blackberry has over my Playbook (QNX) is phenomenal. QNX is already in many car brands, including Infinitis.

Google 'QNX Porsche'
I don't doubt what you're saying, but which Infiniti has this? Also, it must be very phone/car specific, I have yet to see a car interface that does everything you're talking about via BT. I know very much it is possible, just saying in car applications I haven't seen it yet and there's probably a lot of compatability issues to it.

Last edited by jepva; 06-04-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:12 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jepva
I don't doubt what you're saying, but which Infiniti has this? Also, it must be very phone/car specific, I have yet to see a car interface that does everything you're talking about via BT. I know very much it is possible, just saying in car applications I haven't seen it yet and there's probably a lot of compatability issues to it.
I'm not saying this user interface is in cars yet. Just pointing out the possibilities, with QNX as an example, when used as the base for an OS.

Bluetooth is not the limiting factor. It is simply a short distance wireless protocol.

QNX has been an integral part of the automobile for quite a while (and is now owned by RIM)

30 Ways QNX Touches Your Life
Old 06-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
I remember years back when my Dad leaked to me about Blue tooth. I told him it would never take off due to the lack of range...................man was I ever wrong!
Old 06-04-2012, 04:30 PM
jepva

Yes I saw...god help them that RIM owns them.

Still, QNX is an entirely seperate software company making a custom embedded OS for various applications..they have little to do with bluetooth and the specification in itself, they are just using it in their software. Car companies use a variety of different vendors for their nav and car software, not just QNX, it's not a mainstream standard in the sense you are trying to apply it.

Believe me, I wish my car did this. I heard for some people it works with Pandora titles but nothing else. It's going to come down to the car's software and bluetooth implementation, and the phone's software and bluetooth implementation. Matching all of them together so this actually works seemlessly is a large task.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:28 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

^You've completely missed my point. Damn internet.