Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

If you know about car alarms, please help me.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 07:21 PM
XMMAN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you know about car alarms, please help me.

My car was vandalized the other night, and I have been thinking my best option would be to run an aftermarket prox sensor. I don't want to really mess with the factory wiring or key less system, so would it be possible to run an extra 12v power source with a switch to the aftermarket alarm so I can flick it on when I park the car at night?
Old 05-30-2012, 07:22 PM
XMMAN

like lock the car with the regular factory key less entry system.. then arm just a prox sensor and siren ontop of it. I do not want the aftermarket alarm to mess with the locks.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:50 PM
Zimshimmy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you considered adding on the Vehicle Alarm Impact Sensor to the a factory alarm? You don't have to change anything when you add it and there's no need to have a separate remote for it.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:30 AM
XMMAN

Yea 2 reasons why I dont go that route:

1) After a thief breaking into my car in the pouring rain I rather have the alarm go off prior to him breaking the window and getting the interior soaked in a tropical depression.

2) The Jerkoff who broke in my car took out the passenger window in pretty much one piece and it looked like he pried the window out (where the b billar would be but we have rubber) stuck his hand behind it and just pulled out. there were no points of impact on the window that would have triggered the factory one.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:15 AM
Zimshimmy

You can adjust the sensitivity of the Vehicle Alarm Impact Sensor to the point that if anyone SLIGHTLY touches your car, it goes off. The only down side is it'll be going off every time a big car passes by or a bike passes by. I have mine set at 7 (Max is 11) and it goes off when there's thunder or when a big enough car passes.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
It's possible to wire up a proximity alarm to the OEM alarm. However, the problem with it is the same as a shock sensor. If you set it too low, it'll never go off. Once you set it high, it'll go off every time a car passes by.

With an aftermarket alarm, it would just give a soft beep as a prewarning. If you wire it up to the OEM system, you would get a full blast every time a car passes by.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:52 AM
inspireg37xs

I'm hooking my system up to a Compustar Drone, with Full alarm/remote start.

You might get away with a shock sensor and a glass break sensor to tie into your stock alarm. It usually gets wired to like the trunk pin so that the oem alarm thinks someone broke into the trunk when the shock or glass break sensor gets set off.

You can do a prox but it has to be installed in the centre of the vehicle and no metal objects like keys, coins etc can be near it. They false A LOT. I'm in the car alarm business, so I know. I used to have all the bells and whistles.