Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

New Sub barely playing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 05:34 PM
Nashville G

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Sub barely playing?

I just installed a 10 inch Kicker cvr powered by a kicker zx300.1 and its barely playing. You can see it move (very minimal) but its pretty much just vibrates when it should be hitting pretty hard. I followed the DIY on here and im pretty positive that i did everything right. Any suggestions on what i can do to fix this??
Old 05-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Try adjusting the gain on the amp OR the gain on the line converters.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:54 PM
Nashville G

i played around with all of the settings on the amp fro a while and it didnt do much. and what do you mean the gain on the line converters?
Old 05-20-2012, 06:21 PM
Rad_Slinger

Assuming you have RCAs going into your sub. With an Infiniti you must use line converters (speaker to RCA). Some of them have output level adjustments.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:47 PM
Nashville G

I just used the rca cord the the kicker wire kit came with and cut the ends of one side and soldered them on to wire number 8 for the negative and number 9 for the positive
Old 05-21-2012, 12:24 AM
Rad_Slinger

That's your issue. I'm pretty sure you can damage the amp or speaker like that. You need to go to your local audio store and pick up a line converter. They're not that expensive like $15 or $20. Then you should be good.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Nashville G

alright ill try that out. thanks!
Old 05-21-2012, 11:58 PM
Nashville G

ok well i just picked up the line converter but im kind of confused on how to use it. What wires go in and out of it? i went to best buy to get one but they didnt have any in stock so they told me to pick up the scosche one from walmart and it should work fine.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:27 AM
Rad_Slinger

If I'm not mistaken, you use the wires from one of the speakers. Ask the geek squad at best buy. They can help you for sure.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:45 AM
jjasonSU

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
If you're using a DVC make sure your polarities aren't reversed
Old 05-22-2012, 10:20 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by jjasonSU
If you're using a DVC make sure your polarities aren't reversed
That was my thought as well. You'll need to wire the sub properly. Look at the user's manual for the sub and wire appropriately per the impedance you want to run. I'm not sure of the specs of your sub or amp...that information would be helpful.

Also, a line converter is not necessary to wire an RCA from wires on the factory harness. I just used clip-on wire taps to connect my RCA and taped them with black electrical tape. I did the same thing the OP did and that was clipping of the ends of the RCA, exposing the wire and tapping it into the factory harness.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:42 AM
UncleFunkle
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
FIrst, where are you taking the signal? Before, or after the amp. Which amp? If I am not mistaken there is an amp for the midbass, mids and highs and another for the "subs". If you are going before the amp, the level may be too low if after you WILL need a LOC. If you have been running after the factory amp into the aftermarkets amps, RCA connection, then you may have overdriven the inputs and messed the aftermarket amp up. Check your connections. Verify where you are tapping into the signal. I believe the factory amps do a lot of post proscessing such as treble and bass control. Hit up DIYMA and see of there is a build on one of our cars and see the route they took. Enfinitys, Infinity G37 rebuild - DIYMA Car Audio Forum

This one is a little more than your project but still pretty cool
Old 05-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Nashville G

I did everything that was in this DIY https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...stall-diy.html
Im pretty positive that everything is hooked up right but i will check to make sure my polarities arent reversed.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:23 PM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Yep. that's the one. there's another thread somewhere that diagrams the harness and what wires are on what pin. I remember using that one for reference also. Make sure your RCA is spliced appropriately. Depending on what kind of RCA wire is used, some of them each have individual positive and negative wires while other ones have a negative wire wrapped around a jacketed positive wire.

DVC or SVC, you'll need a jumper depending on the wiring for the sub. Also, dumb question but just to clarify, is your sub in a box?
Old 05-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Nashville G

ok im going to check my rca connections and make sure everything is good and yes my sub is in a box lol

Quick Reply: New Sub barely playing?