Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Backup Camera definitely stopped working today..

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 01:17 AM
apcrump

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backup Camera definitely stopped working today..

So my backup camera decided to stop working today, randomly when I hopped in it just didn't turn on. So I took it to the dealership here in Honolulu (second day in Hawaii and the camera stops working, bad omen?...nah) They quoted me at $148 just to look at the car, seems kinda pricey. Unfortunately my factory warranty just expired, oh how lucky I am, lol.

The tech guy told me that it's mostly likely the sensor, but he can't tell me for sure until I pay the $148 to get the diagnostic. My question to you guys is; How much is the backup camera sensor, and is it something I can fix myself.

Thank you all for the help in advance,

-Andrew
Old 05-10-2012, 02:00 AM
autodoof

They want $325 for a used backup camera assembly on ebay. Look up "INFINITY G37 REAR BACK UP CAMERA ON TRUNK LID"

Nobody can spell anymore.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:07 PM
unknowndesi
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
hey buddy i have a back up camera available... if you want to test out the camera go into the hidden settings by pressing the volume **** once to turn off the stereo system

now hold the settings button while you turn the volume button

youll enter the hidden test menu

from here look for your cameras settings i forget what its called but look for camera calibration

once you click that option you should see the rear view if you dont then i have one available just shoot me a pm :-)
Old 05-10-2012, 01:33 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
It may have just been a computer hiccup. Happened to me before. I would wait on it and see if it comes back.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:19 PM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by unknowndesi
hey buddy i have a back up camera available... if you want to test out the camera go into the hidden settings by pressing the volume **** once to turn off the stereo system

from here look for your cameras settings i forget what its called but look for camera calibration

once you click that option you should see the rear view if you dont then i have one available just shoot me a pm :-)
Learn something new everyday!
Old 05-10-2012, 07:22 PM
apcrump

Originally Posted by unknowndesi

The guy at the dealership showed me this to see if the camera was still working, and it was. So that's why he told me it's mostly likely the sensor.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:31 PM
cruzmisl

I'm not sure how this works on the G, but other backup cameras turn on when the backup lights turn on.

When you put your car into reverse, are the backup lights coming on? I wonder if maybe just the fuse went out for the backup lights, which is also not giving the signal for the camera to turn on.

It could also be the reverse switch. I've seen posts of this switch failing on older Gs. It sits on top of the transmission.

Just thought I'd throw this out there.

Last edited by cruzmisl; 05-10-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:30 AM
apcrump

Originally Posted by cruzmisl
I'm not sure how this works on the G, but other backup cameras turn on when the backup lights turn on.

When you put your car into reverse, are the backup lights coming on? I wonder if maybe just the fuse went out for the backup lights, which is also not giving the signal for the camera to turn on.

It could also be the reverse switch. I've seen posts of this switch failing on older Gs. It sits on top of the transmission.

Just thought I'd throw this out there.
Thank you Cruzmisl, I will check tomorrow if the lights are coming on. Is the reverse switch something I could fix myself?
Old 05-11-2012, 10:50 AM
cruzmisl

It's in the same spot as the 350z, but I don't know if theres more or less space for you to get your hands or a socket in there when you get the car jacked up/on ramps.

It's on the driver's side of the transmission.

Backup Camera definitely stopped working today..-tkyy9.jpg

Post on my350z over the same problem: Reverse Light Switch - MY350Z.COM Forums
Old 05-11-2012, 02:51 PM
TwoThree

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Great posts. Not too many people know about the hidden menu. It's a good way to test if the unit is working or not.

Cruz, good call on the blown fuse or reverse switch.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:54 PM
TwoThree

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Name:  c88aefcf.jpg
Views: 6823
Size:  196.7 KB

Name:  adac51de.jpg
Views: 6987
Size:  225.0 KB
Old 05-11-2012, 03:32 PM
apcrump

So it turns out my lights don't come on when I shift into reverse, however the fuse is still good. So I'm guessing it's the reverse switch on the transmission now. I am stuck on the fence as to whether I should do it myself or just let Infiniti do it and swallow the money pill.

Last edited by apcrump; 05-11-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:42 AM
apcrump

Question guys,

I am going to do the work myself, however, I do need to know if this Nissan part SWITCH ASSY-REVERSE LAMP - 350Z (Z33) 2003-2008 Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com is interchangeable with my Infiniti. I got a quote from Infiniti of Honolulu today and it was ridiculous. Over $700 to replace the reverse sensor. I will upload a copy of the diagnostic so you guys can take look. I appreciate all the help. Thanks!
Old 06-02-2012, 03:54 PM
apcrump

Okay, I got the part from Infiniti. @Cruz: I was reading your reply on the Nissan forum and you said that you had to take apart the center console from the top but do the work from the bottom. I just needed to know if it was necessary for the center console to be taken apart. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-02-2012, 10:40 PM
dallasbeaner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow! Thanks for this info. I was looking at it in my car and I selected the AC. And it had different settings. But it skipped number settings. What does that mean?

Quick Reply: Backup Camera definitely stopped working today..