Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

NAV Screen problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 07:40 AM
chairman25

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NAV Screen problems

For the last few months I have experienced my NAV screen going dark intermittently. The dealer says that the next time it happens, bring the car over. Yeah, like I have nothing else to do with my time but to run to the dealer.

Yesterday while parking at work it happened again. The car is an 11 XS with 12k on the clock.

Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:45 AM
cribbsjy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"Going dark", as in dimming? Or is it blacking out? If it is dimming, it might be your Auto headlights kicking on, thus dimming the screen (so as not to blind you while driving at night).
Old 04-06-2012, 09:04 AM
DashKid
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like the above post. Is it dimming or your navi screen just black? If it is dimming then it is due to the head lights being on. If you don't want that just hit the sun/moon symbol on your control panel for the navi.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:07 AM
MattsG37

Happened to my car once and never again. 2012 S coupe with probably less then 1000 miles. Brought the car in for other minor issues and mentioned it to them, and the said they have heard of this and replaced the nav screen no questions asked.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:14 AM
chairman25

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for your responses. This problem has never happened when my lights are on. I know that the NAV screen does dim when the lights are on.

The last time it happened was while backing into a spot at work on a sunny morning. So as I have done in the past I shut the car off and restarted it and the screen comes back on. The last time I changed the function and when the screen reappeared after a restart the new screen was there. I know that the map, audio and other functions are working properly even when the screen is dark. The music continues to play, the bluetooth phone continues to operate.

I suppose I'll have to wait until I restart the car and the screen does not reappear. Thanks for warranties. Thanks for you helpful responses.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:15 PM
CoolBreeze
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had the exact same problem several times as Chairman, with a 2011 xS.

All times during the day. The radio and HVAC still worked.<O</O

When I turned off the car and started it up the next time, the screen was OK. <O</O

Of course, the dealer could not find anything wrong and they said they never heard of such a thing. <O</O
<O</O
Old 04-17-2012, 02:27 PM
SilverTL05

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chairman25
For the last few months I have experienced my NAV screen going dark intermittently. The dealer says that the next time it happens, bring the car over. Yeah, like I have nothing else to do with my time but to run to the dealer.

Yesterday while parking at work it happened again. The car is an 11 XS with 12k on the clock.

Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks.

I have the same problem.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:14 PM
rachel13

if it is dimming, it might be your Auto headlights kicking on, thus dimming the screen.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:46 PM
CoolBreeze
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not dimming, completely going dark.
<O</O

Plus, my auto headlights are not enabled and it was during the light of day.<O</O
Old 05-11-2012, 11:31 AM
Mocoso

This happened to mine yesterday after backing up.. I suspect its a sw glitch in the switch from camera to nav system as the problem cleared up after restarting the car... I know the thread is a month old but Im curious:

To the OP: Did you take the car to the dealer and did they find anything wrong? I dont see the value in taking it in unless its in the faulty condition as it will be a no problem found otherwise.. any info or diagnostics your dealer may have done would be useful
Old 05-12-2012, 07:23 AM
x818ray
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
happened to me too..just once....pulled out my phone and i got it all on vid...just in case... a quick car off/on did the trick... my a/c glitched once too on a high speed highway run... i hit 145mph for a few sec's on a mex road with my a/c on high..came back down to 75mph and next thing i know my a/c blower was only blowing 1/2 the air eventhough i had it on max... it sounded weird too like restricted and louder than normal humming from the dash...again a quick off/on @ a gas station did the trick.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:12 PM
Gizmo0803

This just happened to me today while driving home in LA traffic. Was listening to the Kings game on the radio, then all of a sudden the screen went out completely (all functions were still working though). I have a 2011 S. Came home, turned the car off and on, and the screen worked again. Has anyone figured out what the problem is? I'm glad it not just me!
Old 11-10-2012, 07:50 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
There is a bulletin to fix this, they replaced the screen on my EX35.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:44 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Moral is ... if it happens, don't touch anything, don't shut the car off, drive straight to the delearship and get the Service mgr to come out and look at it.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Track Bandit

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
TVPostSound is right. There is a TSB on this very problem. I had that happen to my 2012 G37S three times and then I saw it on this web site:
2012 Infiniti G37 Coupe Service Bulletins - Infinitihelp.com

Print that out and take it to your dealer. My dealer said no problem, ordered the part and I had it replaced under warranty. Don't wait on this, getting it done while it's hot. The TSB says they don't have to duplicate the problem, it seems to be a known problem at the factory.

Al

Quick Reply: NAV Screen problems