Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Front Door Speaker Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 04:26 PM
MPdesign

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Front Door Speaker Recommendation

2008 G37 Coupe - non S
The car that I bought has a torn speaker in the right front door.

#1 - How do I know if my car has a Bose system? I dont see Bose anywhere so I assume it isn't but I need to order a new speaker and I want the right one.

#2 - Should I upgrade the speakers on both doors to the Bose speakers?

#3 - Will the Bose speakers work with my system if I dont have Bose originally?

Thanks! Also -does anyone have an original front door speaker for sale used?
Old 04-02-2012, 04:29 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
if you don't see bose anywhere, it probably isn't.

i wouldn't spend the money on the bose to "upgrade"

and idk about your last question.

i would just get aftermarket speakers. my personal opinion, there's other stuff out there that sounds better than bose..

just my $.02
Old 04-02-2012, 04:35 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
1) you don't
2) no
3) no

Try ebay or any online salvage yard. You can probably find it relatively cheap. From a dealership it will be expensive. Or post a WTB tread in classifieds and someone who has upgraded and has one laying around might hook you up cheaply.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:20 PM
RV750

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree, if they arent marked Bose than they arent, and I also agree, I would NOT "upgrade" to them. I have the Bose system in my 2012 and it sound no better than the std system.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:47 PM
daren_ipl
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have a set of used Rockford 6.5 inch component set with 1 inch tweeters. Model : p165-s $100 + shipping pm me if your interested
Old 04-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Sunny's G37
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you do not have the factory upgraded Bose sound system, then be careful if you want to upgrade your speakers.
Of all the cars I have owned, the rule of thumb is if the car doesn’t come with the factory upgrade, it doesn’t have an external amplifier. Our Bose system has an amp in the trunk. In the case of a regular stereo, your signals are getting amplified by a built-in equalizer right inside your head unit. That means, your speakers are basically mated well to handle those amplified signals from the head unit. If you plan on getting aftermarket speakers, possible chances are that you will get a lot of distortion in them since they weren’t matched with your head unit’s “amplified” signals. The remedy to this is, change your head unit, which obviously is not possible on our cars. Second option is, put in a sound processor. Something like a HiFonics MX-1. Usually retails for $100 on all over the net. What this does is it flattens out your signals from the head unit and gives a flat/clean signal out. Then you will want to put an external amplifier between this and your speakers. That way, you will have no distortion.
Upgrading a factory Bose is much easier cause it’s head gives out pre-amp signals to the amp in the trunk. Since the signal is clean/flat from the head itself, you don’t need to put a sound processor.
As far as the recommendations go, there’s tons of choice in the market and again it’s subjective. Focal makes quality speakers and I personally swear by them. Make sure you go for their Kevlar series speakers and not the entry level ones, if you do. They can get pricey but I have yet to see a blown cone on a Focal. Component speakers is the best way to go if you want good front stage sound. Personally I hate 6x9’s as they give bad bass. 6.5” are the best speakers for sound and bass “should” always come from your sub-woofer.
Let me know if you have more questions regarding audio mods and GL for your audio setup.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:43 AM
slickg37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good info.... I was thinking of upgrading to the Bose, but not so much now.